+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada PR holders (Working on H1B in USA) expecting a baby in USA

strifer30

Star Member
May 18, 2022
Me and my wife currently reside in USA and are on H1B visa. We got our PR cards (did soft landing) in 2023 and intend to move to Canada in August/September of 2024. We are also expecting a baby this March (will be US born) and wanted to understand what we will need to do to apply for a PR for the new born and move in Aug/Sept 2024.

Couple things in our mind that we are looking for legal suggestions/recommendations -
1. Can the baby (US Passport) fly with us to Canada in August and then we apply for PR once in Canada? (I read US citizen can be visitors for up to 6 months)
2. How can we get access to a pediatrician/family doctor immediately for the baby?

We are still navigating through this and have made our mind to move to Canada this year, hence, we would like to know what are the steps (get a early head start) from here that we can begin to make this transition smooth. Please let us know if we are missing on anything. The most important thing for us is to ensure we have access to medical facilities for our baby.

P.S.
1. One of us (Me/Spouse) may also be able to get our job transferred to Canada since both our companies are based in Canada (If that makes any difference with getting insurance from the company)
2. Delivery in Canada as of this point is not an option for us

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Me and my wife currently reside in USA and are on H1B visa. We got our PR cards (did soft landing) in 2023 and intend to move to Canada in August/September of 2024. We are also expecting a baby this March (will be US born) and wanted to understand what we will need to do to apply for a PR for the new born and move in Aug/Sept 2024.

Couple things in our mind that we are looking for legal suggestions/recommendations -
1. Can the baby (US Passport) fly with us to Canada in August and then we apply for PR once in Canada? (I read US citizen can be visitors for up to 6 months)
2. How can we get access to a pediatrician/family doctor immediately for the baby?

We are still navigating through this and have made our mind to move to Canada this year, hence, we would like to know what are the steps (get a early head start) from here that we can begin to make this transition smooth. Please let us know if we are missing on anything. The most important thing for us is to ensure we have access to medical facilities for our baby.

P.S.
1. One of us (Me/Spouse) may also be able to get our job transferred to Canada since both our companies are based in Canada (If that makes any difference with getting insurance from the company)
1. Yes.
2. Your infant will not have access to provincial health care until PR. So get private insurance for the infant. Waiting lists for family doctors can be years. Once in Canada, start calling around to family doctors and get on waiting lists, or get on the provincial registry. You cannot get on lists until living in Canada. Most children don’t go to paediatricians and you need a referral from your family doctor to go to one.

Reactions: strifer30

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

P.S.
What province are you moving to?

strifer30

Star Member
May 18, 2022
1. Yes.
2. Your infant will not have access to provincial health care until PR. So get private insurance for the infant. Waiting lists for family doctors can be years. Once in Canada, start calling around to family doctors and get on waiting lists, or get on the provincial registry. You cannot get on lists until living in Canada. Most children don’t go to paediatricians and you need a referral from your family doctor to go to one.
Thank you for the reply, this is very helpful. For 2. if we buy private insurance and need to visit a medical facility for the new born, is it a complex process or is it like a visit to the hospital/emergency and we will get the necessary help/aid?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you for the reply, this is very helpful. For 2. if we buy private insurance and need to visit a medical facility for the new born, is it a complex process or is it like a visit to the hospital/emergency and we will get the necessary help/aid?
You need to find what private insurance gives you coverage for routine visits. You can visit walk ins, and you will have to check how they process insurance claims. I live in Ontario, and know people who have been on waiting lists for 3+ years. So don’t count on having a family doctor. About 25% of people in Ontario don’t have a family doctor.

Reactions: strifer30

strifer30

Star Member
May 18, 2022
You need to find what private insurance gives you coverage for routine visits. You can visit walk ins, and you will have to check how they process insurance claims. I live in Ontario, and know people who have been on waiting lists for 3+ years. So don’t count on having a family doctor. About 25% of people in Ontario don’t have a family doctor.
Got it! Thanks for helping clarify the concerns. :)