+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

canada pr for wife while staying in india with wife

desirecanada

Star Member
Nov 29, 2010
Hello Dear Members,

Please need your help and valuable inputs on this. I am a canada PR and recently got married to Indian Girl and currently staying in India with her from last 3 months. I was thinking if I could apply for wife PR or TRAVEL VISA while we both are in India and bring her with me when I return to Canada .

Will this idea work ? your valuable inputs are very much appreciated.
if any of you knows about it , request you to please share the details.it will help others in similar situation too.

Thanks a lot in advance.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can correct me but answer would be travel/ visit visa yes but for PR sponsorship you the PR would need to be resident in Canada to apply and not apply whilst still in India.

Kotishii92

Star Member
Mar 3, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Interview........
I hope no need
Passport Req..
Soon I hope
VISA ISSUED...
Soon I hope
LANDED..........
Summer 2017 let's leave it to this :)
desirecanada said:
Hello Dear Members,

Please need your help and valuable inputs on this. I am a canada PR and recently got married to Indian Girl and currently staying in India with her from last 3 months. I was thinking if I could apply for wife PR or TRAVEL VISA while we both are in India and bring her with me when I return to Canada .

if any of you knows about it , request you to please share the details.it will help others in similar situation too.

Thanks a lot in advance.
Hi,

First you need to apply for her sponsorship... In order for her to obtain the PR in the future... And try to apply for a visa so she come to Canada to you. Although not everybody get's the visa so easy... Sometimes they want to see real proof that she will return back to India, such as a stable job, ticket back and all like that.

But from what I've read is much easier to receive the visa once you prove that you are in the end stages of the sponsorship.

By the way while she is in Canada she can also work: read more here
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1163&top=17

Also note that the issue may be if she gets the visa and she is in Canada if CIC desides they want an interview with her she will have to travel all the way to India.

Good luck to you!

Kotishii92

Star Member
Mar 3, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Interview........
I hope no need
Passport Req..
Soon I hope
VISA ISSUED...
Soon I hope
LANDED..........
Bs65 said:
Others can correct me but answer would be travel/ visit visa yes but for PR sponsorship you the PR would need to be resident in Canada to apply and not apply whilst still in India.
Indeed from what I've read... If he is a PR he can apply for sponsorship while being in Canada... Only a citizen can apply from outside...

Kotishii92

Star Member
Mar 3, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Interview........
I hope no need
Passport Req..
Soon I hope
VISA ISSUED...
Soon I hope
LANDED..........
desirecanada said:
Hello Dear Members,

Thanks a lot in advance.
Also here is a thread you will find useful!
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/-t33836.0.html

spousalsponsee

Apr 21, 2017
desirecanada said:
I am a canada PR and recently got married to Indian Girl and currently staying in India with her from last 3 months. I was thinking if I could apply for wife PR or TRAVEL VISA while we both are in India and bring her with me when I return to Canada .
You can apply for a travel visa. It may or may not be approved, depending what ties she can demonstrate to India.

You cannot sponsor her for PR until you return to Canada (with or without her). A PR must be inside Canada to sponsor their partner (but a citizen can sponsor from anywhere).

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
You cannot sponsor her for PR until you return to Canada (with or without her). A PR must be inside Canada to sponsor their partner (but a citizen can sponsor from anywhere).
Agreed. In addition, the sponsoring PR must remain in Canada through the entire process (short vacations excluded) or the application will be rejected

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Kotishii92 said:
No, applicant will only get an OWP if they apply using the INSIDE CANADA method, right from the beginning. This means being in Canada when the app is submitted.

For someone that submits an OUTSIDE application and later comes to Canada under a TRV, they can NOT work while in Canada.

Kotishii92

Star Member
Mar 3, 2017
Category........
Visa Office......
Bucharest
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
Med's Done....
Interview........
I hope no need
Passport Req..
Soon I hope
VISA ISSUED...
Soon I hope
LANDED..........
Rob_TO said:
No, applicant will only get an OWP if they apply using the INSIDE CANADA method, right from the beginning. This means being in Canada when the app is submitted.

For someone that submits an OUTSIDE application and later comes to Canada under a TRV, they can NOT work while in Canada.
Hi Rob,

Thanks for the clarification! I thought you could apply for it if you get to Canada!

desirecanada

Star Member
Nov 29, 2010
Thanks a lot Kotishii92 for your valuble suggestions,

As PR is not possible while I am in India, can I try for her Travel Visa.
I am currently working full time in a MNC in India and my wife is currently studying.

What are the odds for her to get the Travel Visa as I being PR am currently in India working Full time.

Thanks in Advance.

Kotishii92 said:
Hi,

First you need to apply for her sponsorship... In order for her to obtain the PR in the future... And try to apply for a visa so she come to Canada to you. Although not everybody get's the visa so easy... Sometimes they want to see real proof that she will return back to India, such as a stable job, ticket back and all like that.

But from what I've read is much easier to receive the visa once you prove that you are in the end stages of the sponsorship.

Also note that the issue may be if she gets the visa and she is in Canada if CIC desides they want an interview with her she will have to travel all the way to India.

Good luck to you!

desirecanada

Star Member
Nov 29, 2010
Hello Dear Members,

As PR is not possible while I am in India, can I try for her Travel Visa.
I am currently working full time in a MNC in India and my wife is currently studying.

What are the odds for her to get the Travel Visa as I being PR am currently in India working Full time.

Thanks in Advance.

barakotos

Star Member
Apr 2, 2017
Buletruck said:
In addition, the sponsoring PR must remain in Canada through the entire process (short vacations excluded) or the application will be rejected
Where this come from?

I understand that the sponsor has to been in Canada to start a sponsorship application, but why he has to stay there for the whole processing time that it could reach 2 year?

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
Where this come from?
Those are the rules!

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/immigrate/sponsor/spouse-apply-who.asp

Who can become a sponsor
You can become a sponsor if you are:
a Canadian citizen, a person registered in Canada as an Indian under the Canadian Indian Act or a permanent resident
at least 18 years old
living in Canada:
If you are a Canadian citizen living outside Canada, you must show that you plan to live in Canada when your sponsored relative becomes a permanent resident.
You can’t sponsor someone if you are a permanent resident living outside Canada
If you live in Quebec, you must also meet Quebec’s conditions to be a sponsor.
able to prove that you have enough income to provide basic needs for your spouse or partner’s dependent children. You must submit documents showing your financial resources for the past 12 months only if the spouse or partner you are sponsoring has a grandchild who is coming with them (see subsection 1(3) of the IRPR for more details).

barakotos

Star Member
Apr 2, 2017
I understand that... but still it's not clear for me

living in Canada... is that mean the residence obligation 2/5?
or address, bank statements, utilities bills?

What I mean you can be away for one year or so, for school, for work whatsoever, but still your residence is Canada

do you know what I mean?

M

mikeymyke

barakotos said:
I understand that... but still it's not clear for me

living in Canada... is that mean the residence obligation 2/5?
or address, bank statements, utilities bills?

What I mean you can be away for one year or so, for school, for work whatsoever, but still your residence is Canada

do you know what I mean?
It means you have to stay in Canada until your spouse gets PR. Short 2 week vacations would be fine, but being away for a year is way too long. The residence 2/5 thing is only for current PRs to keep their PR status.