+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada PR Card Renewal - Urgent Processing

shonalisarkar

Jan 3, 2014
Hello,

My PR Card expired about 5 months ago. In about 1 month's time, I will fulfill my residency obligation of staying in Canada for 730 days in the last 5 years. Thats when I will apply for renewal.

However, I have some urgent travel plans about 1 week after I apply for renewal. So I will be applying under Urgent Processing hoping that my PR card will arrive before I leave Canada.

My question is:

1) How long does it take for PR renewal under Urgent Processing

2) In case my PR card is not renewed before my travel dates, is there a travel visa / document I can apply so that I can re-enter canada again.

3) Do I have to be physically present in Canada while my PR card renewal is being processed?

3) I have a Singaporean Passport which should allow me to enter Canada with an "eTA". Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes. All I will need is my passport, a credit card, and an email address. It costs $7 CAD to get an eTA and it will be valid for up to five years. But I am not too sure if this will work. Is this a safe way to do it?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!

MiriamT

May 8, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
São Paulo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-03-2009
File Transfer...
09-03-2009
Med's Done....
28-10-2008
Interview........
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2009
LANDED..........
27-11-2009
shonalisarkar said:
Hello,

My PR Card expired about 5 months ago. In about 1 month's time, I will fulfill my residency obligation of staying in Canada for 730 days in the last 5 years. Thats when I will apply for renewal.

However, I have some urgent travel plans about 1 week after I apply for renewal. So I will be applying under Urgent Processing hoping that my PR card will arrive before I leave Canada.

My question is:

1) How long does it take for PR renewal under Urgent Processing
It depends. For those who are very close to the 730-day obligation, it may take several months and be even longer than regular processing because the urgency and the low count of days may trigger added scrutiny.

For me it took 13 days from the day they received my application to the day they mailed my new PR Card.

shonalisarkar said:
2) In case my PR card is not renewed before my travel dates, is there a travel visa / document I can apply so that I can re-enter canada again.
Yes. http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

shonalisarkar said:
3) Do I have to be physically present in Canada while my PR card renewal is being processed?
You don't have to. However, they may ask for an interview if the officer has doubts in regards to your residency.

shonalisarkar said:
3) I have a Singaporean Passport which should allow me to enter Canada with an "eTA". Applying for an eTA is a simple online process that takes just a few minutes. All I will need is my passport, a credit card, and an email address. It costs $7 CAD to get an eTA and it will be valid for up to five years. But I am not too sure if this will work. Is this a safe way to do it?

Thank you in advance for your feedback!
I don't know, but I found this: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=1050&t=16

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
shonalisarkar said:
Hello,

So your plan is to get to 730 days, apply on an urgent basis and want to travel within a week. Allowing for mailing time CIC won't even likely have your application out of their mail room depending on how you mail it, what day you mail it , what day they receive it and what day you depart Canada. Lets assume you depart Canada on day 740 of your RO count....each day you are gone you lose a day so day 1 in Singapore is 739 days...get my drift?

Don't apply for a PRTD you will get bounced since the visa post will do yet another RO review and find you likely are below 730 days since you couldn't wait to leave after PR Card renewal application submission. As a visitor visa exempt national too there is no need for a PRTD. The eTA scheme isn't mandatory until March 2016...why pay for something you don't need? Just fly back and deal with CBSA at the border.

CIC seems not to have anticipated the volume of PR Card renewals from PRs with barely over 730 days who want to leave Canada as soon as possible and want a super fast PR Card renewal processing time. The PR then has another 5 year window to play the RO game (well if they don't lose their PR Card or it gets stolen).

Maybe you should consider a significant buffer of RO days before you apply for PR Card renewal. Since school is back I'll play teacher - count your trip days lets say X, add a buffer say twice so 2X and add this to the 730 minimum to get another number lets say Y days at which point you apply for PR Card renewal.

drzeina

May 8, 2009
my time line:
received 4th aug
started processing 6 aug
approved 9 sept.
i have not received card yet nor a commuication from cic, only online info.