+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada not requiring upfront medicals from October 1st?

wannabeimmigrant

Sep 30, 2023
Hello folks,

I have an ITA and will apply for my permanent residence soon. I saw that Canada will no longer need upfront medical examination for PR applications through express entry from October 1st. I was procrastinating with my medicals since I have a severe needle phobia (blood test) and it would be better if I can do it later. But will IRCC send people medical requests only after they finalize their application and eligibility like the good old days? Or will they send it immediately with biometric request? Any thoughts/guesses/comments/insights?

The reason is that my chances of being approved are very little since my work experience is with cash salary so I'd prefer to do my medicals if my eligibility and background check is finished. Obviously IRCC doesn't run according to my preference but I was just thinking if they're finally switching back to the old system where they will only send medicals to people who have passed every other thing.

CNP

Champion Member
Oct 26, 2018
Hello folks,

I have an ITA and will apply for my permanent residence soon. I saw that Canada will no longer need upfront medical examination for PR applications through express entry from October 1st. I was procrastinating with my medicals since I have a severe needle phobia (blood test) and it would be better if I can do it later. But will IRCC send people medical requests only after they finalize their application and eligibility like the good old days? Or will they send it immediately with biometric request? Any thoughts/guesses/comments/insights?

The reason is that my chances of being approved are very little since my work experience is with cash salary so I'd prefer to do my medicals if my eligibility and background check is finished. Obviously IRCC doesn't run according to my preference but I was just thinking if they're finally switching back to the old system where they will only send medicals to people who have passed every other thing.
Did they ever have that process of asking for medicals at very end of application processing ? never heard of this earlier. AFAIK, it was re-medicals asked by IRCC when application had to be approved but medical expiry was near. Curious to know :)

wannabeimmigrant

Sep 30, 2023
Did they ever have that process of asking for medicals at very end of application processing ? never heard of this earlier. AFAIK, it was re-medicals asked by IRCC when application had to be approved but medical expiry was near. Curious to know :)
Few years before, this is how it used to work. But it is now official that meds won't be needed as a part of application.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/express-entry/documents/medical-exams.html

sabensaid92

Nov 8, 2023
HI, CAN SOMEONE LET ME KNOW IF WE HAVE TO UPLOAD A BLANK DOCUMENT OR THE IME FORM WHICH IS LESS THEN 5 YRS OLD AS I DO HAVE ONE?
The IME forme expires a year after it has been issued. so it's no longer of use. Juste upload a blank document

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
Medical was upfront until COVID. They changed the rules during COVID to say apply and wait for instructions about when to get the medical exam. At some point they made medicals upfront again and I guess now they are going back to the COVID system.

Probably a good thing for most Outland people since it gives a longer window to land after COPR is issued - max one year after date of medical.

Ross88

Star Member
May 27, 2023
The IME forme expires a year after it has been issued. so it's no longer of use. Juste upload a blank document
Wait, why? @ABCD17, if you are in Canada, upload the form you have and let IRCC decide if you need a new one. It literally says so on the government instructions page.

manirulf1

Aug 19, 2022
Wait, why? @ABCD17, if you are in Canada, upload the form you have and let IRCC decide if you need a new one. It literally says so on the government instructions page.
Hi,
IRCC sent medical requests for all dependents except the principal applicant. Is this normal? what should I do? Seniors pls advise.

- I did submit the previous IME of my study permit from two years ago along with the PR application. (as suggested)
- tracker shows my medical completed
- Submitted blank IME for my dependents.
- I have never been to Canada

Should I raise Webform about it. becasue I think I am not qualified for previous IME as I dont live in canada.

Also got BIL for me and my spouse on the same day.

PNP outland applicant (SINP).
Timeline:
NOC - 22220
SINP EE ITA - May 04, 2023
SINP AOR - Jun 13, 2023
SINP Nomination - Oct 24, 2023
EE ITA - Dec 06, 2023
AOR - Dec 21, 2023
MR and BIL - Jan 31, 2024

sabensaid92

Nov 8, 2023
Because that's how it is.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html#:~:text=Your medical exam results are,need to have another exam.
Your medical exam results are valid for 12 months only. If you don't come to Canada as a permanent resident within that time, you may need to have another exam

ABCD17

Feb 5, 2021
Because that's how it is.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams/requirements-permanent-residents.html#:~:text=Your medical exam results are,need to have another exam.
Your medical exam results are valid for 12 months only. If you don't come to Canada as a permanent resident within that time, you may need to have another exam

But I guess as @Ross88 said, if you're inside Canada, you can submit the old ones and then IRCC can decide if we need to get a new one as it clearly says if you have performed medical exam for temporary residency within 5 years, you can just submit that and they will decide.

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/medical-police/medical-exams.html