+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Move Discussion (2014 FSW - People in USA on H1B)

Hari412

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
27-01-2015
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
1-4-2015, Third Line 11-4-2015
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2015
LANDED..........
17-07-2015
I have been in US since a few years and planning to move to Canada this year. I would like to see if I can take my car to Canada and change my registration? Can anyone tell me where can I find relevant information and approximately how much would it cost me? Thanks in advance for help... ;D

FSW_Applicant

Aug 29, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
03-Oct-2014
LANDED..........
17-Sep-2015
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/export-import-of-vehicle-aes-queenstonlewiston-t278119.0.html

Hari412 said:
I have been in US since a few years and planning to move to Canada this year. I would like to see if I can take my car to Canada and change my registration? Can anyone tell me where can I find relevant information and approximately how much would it cost me? Thanks in advance for help... ;D

Oct_Applicant

Apr 6, 2015
You might not be able to get a Canadian number from Skype, but MagicJack might work. Please let us know if US numbers will work on a resume

justChill_FSW2014 said:
This looks like a good idea for forum :) I read few people started applying for jobs as soon as they received PPR. may I ask if they gave their US phone number as contact information or got a Canadian phone number? was exploring options to get IP based Canadian phone number but would like to know if any members have done that before or it's not necessary

Hari412

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
27-01-2015
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2015
LANDED..........
17-07-2015
FSW_Applicant said:
http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/export-import-of-vehicle-aes-queenstonlewiston-t278119.0.html
Thanks a lot for this link, it was very helpful.....

+1 to you!

riyarose

Star Member
Oct 24, 2010
2) Find a Canadian employer in US, and work for them in US on H1B. This will also count towards your Citizenship in Canada.

Please Sir could you tell me how this work. I am on H1b in US and presently in Canada from last four months, and able to to find any job here. I am planing to go back, as I have job their, my employer have filed H1b and I work on client location. Please could you suggest something how the process works, what I need to do. I have a friend here in Canada who is incorporated. Do he need to run my payrolls or how it will work?

I will highly appreciate you answer. Thanks

sachin9183

Star Member
Jan 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Request
12-09-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2015
A phone call between USA and Canada is still considered International call, so it will be helpful to have Canadian no. to apply for Canada jobs. I have heard MagicJack works and some people have also used GoogleVoice to forward the calls because its free within US & Canada.
As far as thought process between both the countries is concerned; I'm also in a dilemma and this forum is helpful as we all share the mutual feeling.

My preferences have recently changed because I had my parents visiting me in US last year (I'm H1B living in US since the last 8 years on EB3) and now I want to sponsor their Immigration too, which is only possible with a Canada PR. Based on my priority date, I'll not be able to sponsor them in the near future unless things change drastically.
I'm still waiting for my final PR (still in in process), so I have time to make a decision. Lets see how it goes.

I have a stable job with stable income and I do have a fear about the expenses in Canada. One of my friends recently moved to Canada and his commute time to work is more than 1 hr 1 way because he purchased a house in the suburbs but works in Toronto, that's the only option he had. I understand 1 hr 1 way, is usual in US too, but you can still explore options here in US to buy a house close to work.

Anyways, we plan to get our PR first and then make a decision.

riyarose

Star Member
Oct 24, 2010
Thanks for the reply sachin,

I am very confused, I am looking for job from last four months and not able to get any pipelines, my H1b is valid so I am planing to move their. As far as expense is concerned it is very expensive as per Texas. I am not aware about any other state as I reside in Texas for 7 years. Apart you will like Canada if you have job so if you planing then come with job or else it will spend your savings as what I am going through.
But it is all personal preference.

I am not sure what happens if I leave Canada and I don't complete 730 days residency obligation, and after five years once my PR card is expired , if I wanted to comeback then will I need to refile everything ? or they will allow me to apply for renewal of card?

Hari412

Star Member
Sep 20, 2014
USA
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-10-2014
AOR Received.
27-01-2015
IELTS Request
submitted
File Transfer...
12-02-2015
Med's Request
20-03-2015
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2015
VISA ISSUED...
12-06-2015
LANDED..........
17-07-2015
I need some advise. Please help :'(

I am planning to switch my employer this month and waiting for PPR. Hoping that I get PPR, can I schedule a visa interview in Canada (H1B stamping)after I do my landing as I will be changing my employer? Has anybody done this? If so, what are the chances of rejection?

I have been in US for past 7 yrs, 2 yrs on F1 visa and 5 on H1B.

Thanks!

riyarose

Star Member
Oct 24, 2010
Hari412 said:
I need some advise. Please help :'(

I am planning to switch my employer this month and waiting for PPR. Hoping that I get PPR, can I schedule a visa interview in Canada (H1B stamping)after I do my landing as I will be changing my employer? Has anybody done this? If so, what are the chances of rejection?

I have been in US for past 7 yrs, 2 yrs on F1 visa and 5 on H1B.

Thanks!
Yes you can go for visa stamping in Calgary or Vancouver.

sachin9183

Star Member
Jan 22, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
11-07-2014
Med's Request
12-09-2014
Med's Done....
01-04-2015
Riya, if I already have an approved H1 and a stable job, I wouldn't move to Canada without a new Offer Letter in hand. I'm assuming your situation was different.
A couple of my friends followed the same strategy and are successful. Of course, there is a vast different between Texas and the Northeast US region in terms of expenses, and then on top of it you moved to Canada :D
I can understand the pain, as it seems, I earn in INR and spend in USD..... lol.....

Toronto seems to be only good option with better opportunities, the other one that I have heard is Calgary but its too cold out there.

fsw_toronto

Star Member
Jul 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Feb 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2015
LANDED..........
Jul 2015
Oct_Applicant said:
You might not be able to get a Canadian number from Skype, but MagicJack might work. Please let us know if US numbers will work on a resume
You can try this to get a Canadian number - sonetel.com

fsw_toronto

Star Member
Jul 21, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
May 2014
Med's Done....
Nov 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Feb 2015
VISA ISSUED...
Mar 2015
LANDED..........
Jul 2015
Very thoughtful and interesting discussion guys. I have been in the U.S. on L1 and my Canadian PR Visa has been stamped. So I am definitely planning to make a move to Canada and will be doing my landing formalities next month.

Anyone who has already done the landing, can you answer in which format did you carry the POF? Thanks.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
riyarose said:
2) Find a Canadian employer in US, and work for them in US on H1B. This will also count towards your Citizenship in Canada.

Please Sir could you tell me how this work. I am on H1b in US and presently in Canada from last four months, and able to to find any job here. I am planing to go back, as I have job their, my employer have filed H1b and I work on client location. Please could you suggest something how the process works, what I need to do. I have a friend here in Canada who is incorporated. Do he need to run my payrolls or how it will work?

I will highly appreciate you answer. Thanks
It doesn't work. The only way to qualify for citizenship is to live in Canada (and now, under the new rules, file taxes in Canada).

ratul2k14

Aug 21, 2014
Ottawa
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
21-08-2014
Med's Done....
11-02-15
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
14-05-15
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-15
LANDED..........
08-10-2015
Hello Everyone,
I recently got my Passport back with the COPR. I am in the US on H1B Visa (Stamped and valid till September 2017). I am planing to complete my landing in the first week of July. I will be giving my friends address while landing and then do a "short landing", will be coming back to the US after staying in Canada for 3-4 days. I have the following question and will really appreciate if anyone can help /advice.

1. Is it OK if I drive my own car or should I rent a car for the 'Short landing' Process?
2. How long do we have to bring the stuff in 'Goods to follow' List into Canada?
3. Do I have to go to my friends place in Peterborough, ON or I can just give his address and then do the paperwork in Niagara Falls and come back?
4. Any restriction on Furniture I can Bring? I heard that Mattresses and Sofas needs to be Fumigated or else they are not allowed in Canada.
5. Are wrist Watches Considered as Jewelry? Should I take pictures of them as well to add to the goods to follow list?
6. What to do with Trading Account and 401k that I have in the USA? Can I maintain my trading Account (Through Scottrade) after I have moved to Canada?
7. Any restrictions on thing that cannot be brought into Canada from USA (besides the usual Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms etc)?
8. Electronics just needs Model Number or the exact serial Number?
9. Has anyone rented an U-Haul for their move to Canada from the States? How was the experience? Recommended or Not?

abhinay.natraj

May 7, 2014
My 2 cents:

I work in upstate NY on H1b with PERM in process. I got my Canada PR and landed as PR on May 1st. I am still waiting for my PR Card but travel to canada with the IMM 1000 every weekend. Also, I just got permanent work from home approved. I am planning to work from Buffalo/ Niagara Falls and commute into Canada - Hamilton/Stoney Creek/ Burlington on an everyday basis. So I can still work in the US to keep my career option going and I will be putting in days in Canada for PR/ Citizenship. Please reach out to me if there are others who are thinking of doing this so we can form a group to answer questions and share thoughts about it. you can reach me at abhinay.natraj@gmail.com