+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Move Discussion (2014 FSW - People in USA on H1B)

mshaikh

Mar 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-06-2011
Doc's Request.
None
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-10-2011 (Initial review is complete)
IELTS Request
Submitted with application
File Transfer...
Buffalo - Ottawa (June 2012)
Med's Request
23-10-2013
Med's Done....
21-11-2013
Interview........
none
Passport Req..
13-2-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-03-2014
LANDED..........
23-9-2014
My problem is I just got married recently and my wife got H4. She is here only for a month but if I move to Canada in a month or so, I have to send her back to India while I process her sponsorship in Canada.
I hear it take approximately a year to get your wife in Canada and she would have to stay away for a year basically - which is not ideal right now. But that gives us permanent place to start our life instead of the hustle here in USA with the H1 and it's constraints and ever changing immigration rules regarding work visa.
It is tough to give up H4 when you already got it for a Canadian PR for her that has to be processed and may take more than a year.

DEEPCUR said:
Exactly. I hardly see anyone really moving. everyone comes to forums at the time of their PR expiry asking ways to retain PR without residing just to get the answer that no options left..

Lowers wages + lesser opportunities + higher or similar cost of living as that of US are the key reasons I believe.. But someone who is already nearing 40 or someone with ageing kids (Indian born kids nearing college age) should really consider moving right away.

zentury

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2014
File Transfer...
FBI PCC received 20-02-2015
Med's Request
24-11-2014
Med's Done....
22-12-2104 Meds -Received 13-02-2015 - after 2 months
Interview........
NA
VISA ISSUED...
April 2015
LANDED..........
May 2015
Hello Friends,

Since most of the people in this forum are from USA(on H1B) or CAN(moved from US or went to CAN directly), I would like to share some of my thoughts and questions, and also it would be great, if you could contribute your thoughts to help each other.

Why Canada?

Here are the reasons for Canada? (Feel free to correct the things):

a) Not sure of GC, and employer troubles (H1B, pay, job and Insurance)
b) Canada Health insurance for life (US Insurance is a big deal, when you are out of job(even if you have GC or citizenship))
c) From day 1, I have PR in Canada, so I can work on my own, and I am independent. I would be happy
d) Schooling is better atleast equal to US, and Canada schools most of the time out perform US schools
e) Schooling in US for your kids depends on your income basically the neighborhood you live in and the school they attend. Canada is different in this case, all public schools get same standard and education irrespective of school location.
f) No fear of recession because of the economy structure (yes, there will be an impact but not as drastic as US)

Since I almost got PR(tracker got activated yesterday night), and my monkey mind started swinging between US and CAN, and I feel eventually I start living in CA and working in US (border city). Not sure, but keeping an open mind?

I would like to know other people opinion who are in my situation. Would you rather prefer to move to CAN and work there instead of balancing on both boats? if so why, and if not why not? Please share your thoughts so that we all could make a good decision based on collective knowledge.

Note: Even though CAN looks attractive with all options and PR, initially I did the PR as a back up option, then explored all other advantages. Now in a dilemma what to do. Please share your thoughts to enlighten me with your views. Thanks once again.

Thanks!
I made the move to Canada on Sep 2016. This is after waiting for 12 long years in US for my priority date to come.. It still is 6 months behind to reach my priority date. AND the processing by itself would take another 1.5 years.
I would suggest everyone to find a job first before you move. But I felt life is much better now, compared to how I lived earlier.
At least I can call this place (Canada) my permanent home.
Good luck.

Reactions: swan0206 and Jakev

zentury

Star Member
Oct 15, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-06-2014
File Transfer...
FBI PCC received 20-02-2015
Med's Request
24-11-2014
Med's Done....
22-12-2104 Meds -Received 13-02-2015 - after 2 months
Interview........
NA
VISA ISSUED...
April 2015
LANDED..........
May 2015
Hello Friends,

Since most of the people in this forum are from USA(on H1B) or CAN(moved from US or went to CAN directly), I would like to share some of my thoughts and questions, and also it would be great, if you could contribute your thoughts to help each other.

Why Canada?

Here are the reasons for Canada? (Feel free to correct the things):

a) Not sure of GC, and employer troubles (H1B, pay, job and Insurance)
b) Canada Health insurance for life (US Insurance is a big deal, when you are out of job(even if you have GC or citizenship))
c) From day 1, I have PR in Canada, so I can work on my own, and I am independent. I would be happy
d) Schooling is better atleast equal to US, and Canada schools most of the time out perform US schools
e) Schooling in US for your kids depends on your income basically the neighborhood you live in and the school they attend. Canada is different in this case, all public schools get same standard and education irrespective of school location.
f) No fear of recession because of the economy structure (yes, there will be an impact but not as drastic as US)

Since I almost got PR(tracker got activated yesterday night), and my monkey mind started swinging between US and CAN, and I feel eventually I start living in CA and working in US (border city). Not sure, but keeping an open mind?

I would like to know other people opinion who are in my situation. Would you rather prefer to move to CAN and work there instead of balancing on both boats? if so why, and if not why not? Please share your thoughts so that we all could make a good decision based on collective knowledge.

Note: Even though CAN looks attractive with all options and PR, initially I did the PR as a back up option, then explored all other advantages. Now in a dilemma what to do. Please share your thoughts to enlighten me with your views. Thanks once again.

Thanks!
I made the move to Canada on Sep 2016. This is after waiting for 12 long years in US for my priority date to come.. It still is 6 months behind to reach my priority date. AND the processing by itself would take another 1.5 years.
I would suggest everyone to find a job first before you move. But I felt life is much better in canada, compared to how I lived earlier in US.
At least I can call this place (Canada) my permanent home.
Good luck.

axolotl

Star Member
Apr 17, 2017
I explained my decision making process in another post.

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/how-i-got-three-job-offers-while-being-outside-canada.490390/

Context
  • Work experience: I had several jobs. I worked as a management consultant, a quant, and an equity analyst in the Netherlands, did my internship at Google during the MBA, and was hired fulltime as a Data Scientist at Twitter in San Francisco for one year, before moving to Singapore after H1B lottery non-selection in September 2016. The agreement back then between Twitter and me was for Twitter to apply for H1B again in 2017 and move me back to San Francisco after one year’s (or potentially a bit longer) working in Singapore.
  • On 6 January 2017, I learned from Twitter that they would not sponsor my H1B this year. I was pissed off as an L1 visa would be tied to Twitter and I would be screwed if I got laid off in the US.
Motivation

My motivation of moving to Canada is as follows. (These were also the motivations that I gave during my job interviews.)
  • Singapore, or rather Asia in general, is not the right place for my partner and me to settle down. Same-sex relationships are not recognised and we plan to have children.
  • North America is in my opinion the best place for tech.
  • As a very pro-EU person, I am concerned about the rise of populism in Europe. I can always move back to Europe if the EU exists. On the other hand, I would not want to move back to Europe should the EU disintegrate eventually.
  • Donald Trump has made the US even less attractive for foreigners. (I am rather right-leaning on economic issues so I am not necessarily anti-Trump. But he seems too unpredictable.)

abhinay.natraj

May 7, 2014
Can't believe its been this long since I posted last, but to follow up -

I did end up moving to Canada as a PR and let go of my status in the US. Looking back, I definitely am happy about the decision. I think being on H1b / going through the Green Card process is extremely volatile and long drawn. I was doing remote work for my US company from Canada for a little while but that's a whole different beast altogether with taxes n such. Now, I work as an independent contractor(IT) in Canada and have only 7/8 more months to put in to be eligible to apply for my citizenship.

My 2 cents:

I work in upstate NY on H1b with PERM in process. I got my Canada PR and landed as PR on May 1st. I am still waiting for my PR Card but travel to canada with the IMM 1000 every weekend. Also, I just got permanent work from home approved. I am planning to work from Buffalo/ Niagara Falls and commute into Canada - Hamilton/Stoney Creek/ Burlington on an everyday basis. So I can still work in the US to keep my career option going and I will be putting in days in Canada for PR/ Citizenship. Please reach out to me if there are others who are thinking of doing this so we can form a group to answer questions and share thoughts about it. you can reach me at abhinay.natraj@gmail.com

Reactions: Jakev

ch671

Star Member
Mar 22, 2017
Hello Friends,

Last week I shared my PR news with my colleagues at work in USA, and to my surprise, I came to know that three people left my client last year in pursuit of Canada dream. They were in this project for 3 years, and in US for 6 to 8 years before moving to Canada.

I found their contact and spoke to them. Here are their experiences. I hope this will help someone, and I will try my level best to put their experience without any bias or my view. Please consume and use the information responsibly.

All three people are senior java developers with 10+ years' of experience. They have been working in us for past 6 to 8 years. Two people I-140 was approved, and waiting for priority date to be current, and other person moved because of 6 year limitation and his PERM was not applied by that time.

If they wanted to continue with current client, they would have settled here itself because of the job security. Two people are doing job in US and staying Canada, and other person completely relocated to Canada.

Their Experience:

Moving to Canada (Background and Views):

With good technical background, they didn't have any trouble getting job. They all got jobs in CANADA within 3 days, in fact two people applied form US and did the interview from here itself. The problem was not with the job. The problem was with car, school and adjusting to new customs and culture. But the time will pass very quickly, and by no time you will get accustomed to Canada. If you are already in US for more than 2 years, then it is a peace of cake.

Two of them decided to do the job in Detroit and commute from Windsor. They are doing it now. It takes 30 to 35 minutes to commute on normal days, and 1 hour on busy days to cross the border. They have applied for nexus card, and they don't have any problem with commute.

The person who settled in Toronto is a bachelor, and having time of his life. I really felt his happiness of freedom in his voice. He sold off everything in US and bought everything in Canada. Period.

After little bit initial struggle, all are settled now, and enjoying their PR status without any problem.

Their Views, Suggestions and Mistakes to avoid:

1) The main problem was with moving CAR from US to Canada. Canada MVA department is totally different. For car registration, you need all the details, such as car manufacturing location, and initial import location, and where car was purchased all those details. Get them from your Dealer before moving. Basically you need all your car history.

2) Car Insurance is a big deal in Canada because they want to avoid any problems with liability, so without any prior insurance, you will end up paying huge in the beginning. As your insurance years accumulate, so does your insurance levels go down. To avoid this issue, take a proof from your current insurance that you have at least insurance for 3 YEARS. This last 3 years proof will save at least 50% premium.

3) Schools are good, but their kids could not make to same class as they were in US. After taking the standard knowledge test, they have been admitted to one class lower. So this point proofs that US schools give high grades for their compensation (at least their schools, there are lots of websites with this information). Don't forget to take your kids immunization, school, sports and extract achievements proofs from the current school.

4) Two of them are in Windsor, and the rent for 2B/2B apartment is 500$ and 600$ for full furnished home. They are working in Detroit so they get US salaries, and pay US tax, and include these details while paying Canada Tax.

5) To count the days towards the PR, you have to be present in Canada every day, there is no rule of exact hours. As long as you present in Canada every day, that should be ok. So purchasing something ($1) item every day in Canada by person using your debit or credit card should suffices for that purpose.

6) The main difference is in population density. Apart from major metro cities like Toronto, Vancouver most of the towns like Windsor have pretty less people. Once you are out of main city the roads are deserted. There will be no body on either side of the road for miles, but the beautiful nature. It is just like Texas but with trees. Everything is huge.

7) As most of the people have already read over the internet, this is a very safe country. Very Safe. As most of the Indians stay in metro cities in US, they know the kind of dangers and kind of neighborhood to avoid. You don't have that problem in Canada. People are friendly, in fact If you are in H1 you know the difference people show to you in US, they won't be explicit, but you will understand by their actions and looks. This won't happen in Canada, it is straight forward, and more multicultural.

8) Yes, jobs are scarce, but not all type of jobs. As you know neither Canada is a world no one economy nor it has any problem keeping it spot. Canada cares about its people. Remember this point always when you are in Canada. Because their tax, health and education systems are tied together. Everyone pays high taxes so that you all can live a safe live as collective society.

9) Neither US nor anybody in US care about you if something happens to you. But Canada is different. It will take care of your healthcare, and also your children education, and what's more, from Day 1 with PR, you are eligible for retirement benefits from government. So your old and retirement age is pretty much secured with healthcare, and retirement pension (do research, you will be amazed with retirement benefits you get in Canada). This is one of the main reasons motivated these people to change the jobs (even though they were very secured and long term).

10) If you get Canada citizenship and US green card, you can work in US and when you retire, irrespective of your location, you will get the Canada retirement pension. So assume, you got both Canada and US citizenship, then in old age, you will get two incomes. How many people really get it? You deserve it, because you have put thought, energy, time and money to get a PR and Canada citizenship, so don't lose it.

11) Start looking for a job as soon as you get the PPR request. You can do it online using the job sites. Submit your resume, and also plan for an interview when you do the landing process. (Disclaimer: I already did an interview like this, so I can tell you that it works)

12) Weather is not a problem as long as you are not moving from southern or western states of US. If you have already been living close to border or in states above Atlanta, then it won't be a problem. Did you think about weather in New York, Boston or New Hampshire when you initially planned to move to US? You didn't you were ready to work anywhere in US. Talk to people who are working in north east states about weather, it won't be much different in Canada either. I think you got the point.

13) One more drastic paradigm change is in the people attitudes. In US, you see a rush kind of attitude towards work. In Canada, the view is towards more life and work balance, and with bias towards more comfortable life. It takes some time to adjust for that culture. This philosophy is reflected in their every policy, and rule from healthcare to school education. Everyone matters.

14) After their 1 year stay in Canada, their bottom line view is, Don't compare US and Canada. They are different apart from common traffic rules, and share a border. People want Canada citizenship for easy entry and exit to both US and Canada. You can earn more money in US at the cost of lots of things. Basically you run behind a mirage in US, and in Canada you relax and enjoy the mirage view sitting in your balcony. But eventually you have to settle in one location, so give preference to your dreams, aspirations and motivations.

I will be adding more and more points as my research finds out more info ... Please you also share your views and thoughts so that we all could make a collective good decision.

Note 1: I wanted to add these points to my main post, but this forum could not let me edit that post, so if this post is not editable after two days, then I will post remaining information as separate post. Thank you guys!

Note 2: There are lots of people on this forum who are working in Canada or settled down. So I encourage and appreciate you people sharing and correcting these points and feel free to share more info. Thank you!
I received my PR last year in September. I also received two job offers one from Toronto one from Montreal (interviewed in person and remotely). I Declined one due to differences in contract and salary expectations and another one (startup) had to close down due to financial troubles. I am hoping to find something end of this year or so, so that I can move this or next summer. Meanwhile I’m working in the US and saving up for the move. Will update once anything changes.