+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Landing Experience and Return to USA using AVR Rule

void_monk

Feb 12, 2010
People,
I would like to share my experience of Canada Landing and returning using the AVR rule to USA.We got our stamped passports along with the COPR document in November 2009 and the expiration date on Visa was in March 2010 before which we had to land.

As we stay in New Jersey, we (I, my wife and kid) decided to drive down to Rainbow bridge and complete the landing process.
I am on H1B, my wife is on H1B and my daughter has H4 (my dependent). We collected all the documents that we submitted for application for PR along with the documents to support H1B status (client letter, SoW, MSA from the client for returning back).

Started driving in my own car towards Rainbow Bridge on Jan 29th 2010 and reached there at 3.55 PM EST.
Paid the toll at Rainbow bridge (3.25 USD or 3.50 Canadian) -surprised I read in one of the post that there was no toll on Rainbow bridge :)

Crossed the bridge to reach Canadian Post.The Officer greeted us with warmth.

Question: Why are you here?
Answer: We are here for landing as a PR

Question: Do you have your passports with you?
Answer : Yes

Question: Do you have goods to follow list with you?
Answer: Yes

He handed us a yellow slip and asked to park in the parking lot on the left side adjacent to the immigration building.
While parking, a lady officer came and asked for the yellow slip. After looking at the slip, she gave us back and asked to come inside the building.

Surprisingly no inspection of the car or bags.

We went inside the building.Waited in the area where it was written (For Immigration, please wait here).

I was called by a lady officer sitting across the counter after 2 minutes.

Question: What are you here for?
Answer: For landing as a PR

Question: Can I have your passports and COPR document?
Answer: Yes ( I handed over the two documents to her).

Question: Where is your I94 form?
Answer: Yes I have it (took out the I797 approval notes with I94 attached to it for all family members)
She didn’t even bothered to look at it and started typing something on the keyboard

Question: Which US state do you live in?
Answer: New Jersey

Question: Do you have an address in Canada for landing?
Answer: Yes (Gave her the print out of the friends address with my friends name on top)

She started writing the address on the COPR document and after finishing ,asked me to initial at two places and sign on another place in the document

Question: Since your kid is small you have to sign the documents for your kid too
Answer: Ok ( I signed the documents for my kid)

Then she guided me to customs counter to submit the “Goods to follow list”

At customs counter, I handed over the list to the officer,The list had my car also as one item:
Question: Do you want to import your car now?
Answer: No officer, I do not have the Title with me now, I will import it later

The officer totaled the Dollar value of goods and then handed over the printed copy of the import document, attached the list to it
Told me to bring the goods all in one time or by parts but bring the document everytime I am bringing goods into Canada.

I was given back the three passports ,stamped and copy of COPR document attached.

Then we came out in the car and started putting documents together for returning to USA.

Drove to the post and stopped the car at the window where officer was waiting in the cold night at 6.30 PM EST

Question: Which country’s citizens are you guys?
Answer: We are Indian citizens, all 3 of us.

Question:What is your status in USA?
Answer: I am on H1b, my wife is on H1b and my kid is dependent on me on H4

Question: How long were you in Canada
Answer: Two hours and thirty minutes.

Question: Please hand over your passports.
We gave the passports to officer with Old and new I94 stamped.

The officer spent 2 minutes verifying the passports and then gave it back to us saying “You are all set”

I took back all the passports ,thanked the officer and entered the US back .

sk.aggarwal

Star Member
Aug 26, 2009
US
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
August 30, 2009
Doc's Request.
October 26, 2009
Nomination.....
-
IELTS Request
October 26, 2009
File Transfer...
October 26, 2009
Med's Request
Feb 2, 2010
Med's Done....
March 1, 2010
Interview........
not done yet
Passport Req..
Feb 2, 2010
VISA ISSUED...
April 03, 2010
LANDED..........
Lets see
Thanks. Very informative. I might have to do same couple of months down the line.

Donx

Feb 2, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
LONDON
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
04-12-09
Doc's Request.
12-02-10/ SENT: 04-06-10
AOR Received.
16-07-10
File Transfer...
17-02-10
Med's Request
07-02-12
Med's Done....
27-02-12 (RECVD 08-03-12)
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
17-07-12
VISA ISSUED...
09-08-12
LANDED..........
FEB 2013
void_monk said:
People,
I would like to share my experience of Canada Landing and returning using the AVR rule to USA.We got our stamped passports along with the COPR document in November 2009 and the expiration date on Visa was in March 2010 before which we had to land.

As we stay in New Jersey, we (I, my wife and kid) decided to drive down to Rainbow bridge and complete the landing process.
I am on H1B, my wife is on H1B and my daughter has H4 (my dependent). We collected all the documents that we submitted for application for PR along with the documents to support H1B status (client letter, SoW, MSA from the client for returning back).

Started driving in my own car towards Rainbow Bridge on Jan 29th 2010 and reached there at 3.55 PM EST.
Paid the toll at Rainbow bridge (3.25 USD or 3.50 Canadian) -surprised I read in one of the post that there was no toll on Rainbow bridge :)

He handed us a yellow slip and asked to park in the parking lot on the left side adjacent to the immigration building.
While parking, a lady officer came and asked for the yellow slip. After looking at the slip, she gave us back and asked to come inside the building.

We went inside the building.Waited in the area where it was written (For Immigration, please wait here).

Answer: Yes I have it (took out the I797 approval notes with I94 attached to it for all family members)
She didn't even bothered to look at it and started typing something on the keyboard

Answer: Yes (Gave her the print out of the friends address with my friends name on top)

She started writing the address on the COPR document and after finishing ,asked me to initial at two places and sign on another place in the document

Question: Since your kid is small you have to sign the documents for your kid too

At customs counter, I handed over the list to the officer,The list had my car also as one item:

The officer totaled the Dollar value of goods and then handed over the printed copy of the import document, attached the list to it
Told me to bring the goods all in one time or by parts but bring the document everytime I am bringing goods into Canada.

I was given back the three passports ,stamped and copy of COPR document attached.

Then we came out in the car and started putting documents together for returning to USA.

Drove to the post and stopped the car at the window where officer was waiting in the cold night at 6.30 PM EST

Question: Which country's citizens are you guys?

The officer spent 2 minutes verifying the passports and then gave it back to us saying “You are all set”

vERWY INFORMATIVE!!

hmisabpk

Champion Member
Nov 6, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
void_monk said:
People,

She didn't even bothered to look at it and started typing something on the keyboard

Question: Which country's citizens are you guys?

Great information, sure it will help before landing.
Thank you for sharing the landing experience on this forum.

HMISABPK

igbehinadara

Champion Member
Dec 6, 2009
Canada
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Avo
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
Dec 2015
Nomination.....
Nov 2016
IELTS Request
NA
VISA ISSUED...
July 2017
LANDED..........
October 2017
Thanks man for sharing your landing experience with the forum.

Ig

bavarian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2009
Even I am on H1B visa and plan to land at Niagara and return to US the same day. Please advise what documents do I need to carry with me for re-entry to US. Thanks.

void_monk

Feb 12, 2010
Dear Bavarian,

For Canada PR Landing:
1.Take ALL the document which were attached to the original immigration application
2. Proof of funds: I took XX amount cash XX in traveler check and remaining in bank statement.(show only what is required)
3. Goods to follow list (if you are not landing for permanent stay)

For return to US
1. If u are working at client site: Your company MSA, SoW, I797 approval notice and most important ,the letter from the client.
2. Print out of AVR Rule from cbp.gov website

hope this helps

bavarian

Star Member
Mar 28, 2009
Void_Monk

I am not working at client site. I am directly employed. What documents do I need to carry with me in this case.
What is MSA, SoW? Please advise.

jitz

Star Member
Oct 21, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
We salute with your info which is details ,very highly appreciated

And also very useful for other reader on this forums .

mdarji

Jul 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2009
AOR Received.
15-09-2009
File Transfer...
22-09-2009
Med's Request
28-01-2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting...
Hi Void_Monk/all seniors..

After reading your post and this thread, looks like you guys will be the best to answer on my current situation :

My Canada PR status is - have done my medical (reports are normal) and in next week will have to send PP for stamping at CIC, New Delhi.
At the same time yesterday, I had my H1B visa stamping at delhi embassy where I was given 221g for few more docs from my employer. My employer will be sending those docs to me within next 30 days.

Now, I am worried because if I will send my passports for CIC PR stamping which usually takes nowadsy from 45-60 days (sometimes bit early or not sure exact timeline).. at the same time after next 30 days if I submit my h1b petitioner's docs to delhi embassy to clear 221g, if they ask for passport for stamping and I won't have it because they have gone for CIC stamping.. Am I going to be in trouble ?

What should I do.. ? really confused abt where to go ?

I would really appreciate if you guys can answer/suggest with best possible way to resolve this situation...

PLS HELP...

void_monk

Feb 12, 2010
Bavarian,
If you are not working at client site ,its all the more better.
Be sure to take an "employment verification letter" which is like an experience letter from the company and it also states that the company controls your salary and mentions your hierarchy.

Also please ensure that the letter contains a name (of your boss or HR guy) and his phone number .If God forbid the immi. officer wants to reach

Regards

void_monk

Feb 12, 2010
Dear mdarji,
As per my experience,I received CIC letter to submit the passport within 30 days.But as i was having some pending issues,
I had requested in writing to CIC New Delhi that I need 90 days to submit the passport and gave a valid reason for delay.
Though they did not respond back but I submitted my passport after 70 days and got it back with stamped Visa after 3 weeks.

I suggest that get your US visa matter resolved earlier because USCIS is getting too nosy with H1b these days.
Regards

mdarji

Jul 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2009
AOR Received.
15-09-2009
File Transfer...
22-09-2009
Med's Request
28-01-2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting...
Hi Void_Monk,

Thanks for your response to my queries.

For H1B - 221g I have found out from embassy that 221g can be cleared within 1 yr (usual timeline almost for all embassies in india) from stamping (I am not going to take 1 yr) and anyway, my employer is going to take atleast 30 days to get all required docs.

So, I was thinking of submit my passports for stamping in next 2 days, Lets say it come backs with PR stamping in next 30 days, by when I will have H1b 221g docs ready from my employer and then I can submit them to VFS, after submitting docs usually they take 2-3 weeks to make decision whether to ask for passport for stamping or denial. I have seen ppl who got their 221gs submitted their docs with 1.5-2 months and then they get result in another 1 month.

So, within next 30 days my PR stamping can be ready and after few more weeks h1b stamping.

What do you say ? Your suggestions are welcome!

youskal

Oct 31, 2009
Hi Void_Monk and Guys.

If you returned so soon after landing process, how will you receive your PR card? and what is the AVR Rule plz..

Thanks

Youskal

mdarji

Jul 7, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-07-2009
AOR Received.
15-09-2009
File Transfer...
22-09-2009
Med's Request
28-01-2010
Med's Done....
15-02-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2010
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting...
Hi Void_Monk,

btw, How did you wrote to CIC, New Delhi. Is it by e-mail or you composed letter of request and sent them ? Pls let me know.

Looks like I might be in same situation as yours.