+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Landing Experience and Return to USA using AVR Rule on NOV-6-2010

dad42

Nov 7, 2010
I would like to share my experience of Canada Landing and returning using the AVR rule to USA on nov -6-2010.
We got our stamped passports along with the COPR document in june 2010 and the expiration date on Visa was in june 2011 before which we had to land.

we stay in New york, we (I, my wife and kid) decided to drive down to Queenston -Lewiston bridge and complete the landing process.
I am on H1B, my wife is on H4 and my daughter is US citizen. We collected all the documents that we submitted for PR along with the documents to support H1B status (Employer letter, Recent pay stubs,
Copy of Automatic visa revalidation rule & Recent credit card statement).

Started driving a rental car with Canadian Liscense plate from national rentals towards Queenston -Lewiston Bridge on Nov 4th 2010 . Crossed the bridge to reach Canadian Post at 1.55 PM EST.

The Officer checked all passports ,he told to park the car
and go to the canada immigration building.No inspection of the car or bags.

We went inside the building. (For Immigration, please wait here).
Inside the building 3 officers were there.we met with one of the officer

Question: Why are you here?
Answer: We are here for landing as a PR

Question: Show me your passports and the documents?
Answer : we gave all passports ,corp documents & proof of funds (My bank statements)

He checked all the documents.

Question: Where you are going to stay in canada?
Answer: Gave the print out of the friends address with my name on top)

He started writing the address on the COPR document and after finishing ,asked me to initial at two places
and sign on another place in the document

Question: Since your kid is small you have to sign the documents for your kid too
Answer: Ok ( I signed the documents for my kid)

Question: Do you have goods to follow list with you?
Answer: Yes

Then he guided me to customs counter to submit the “Goods to follow list”

At customs counter, I handed over the list to the officer.

Question: Do you want to import your car ?
Answer: Yes officer, I have the copy of Title with me now, I will import it later

The officer totaled the Dollar value of goods and then handed over the printed copy of the import document,
attached the list to it

Told me to bring the goods all in one time or by parts but bring the document everytime I am bringing goods
into Canada.

I was given back the three passports ,stamped and copy of COPR document attached.

Then we came out to the car and started putting documents together and drove to toronto canada.Stayed in hotel.

Next day we went to a services center canada and apply for SIN number.we got the number and came back to hotel.

Next day Nov-6-2010 early morning 8:15 we started driving to US.9:52 we reached Queenston -Lewiston Bridge.
Long line of cars. :(we reached to the post at 10:43 and stopped the car at the window where officer was waiting.

Question: Which country's citizens are you guys?
Answer: We are Indian citizens, My kid is US Citizen.

Question:What is your status in USA?
Answer: I am on H1b, my wife is on H4.

Question: How long were you in Canada
Answer: Two days.

Question: Please hand over your passports.
We gave the passports to officer with Old and new I94 & i-797.He checked for the old visa stamped in the passport.

The officer spent 2 minutes verifying the passports and then gave it back to us saying “You are all set”

I took back all the passports ,thanked the officer and entered the US using automatic visa revalidation.

Thank god

jayan117

Dec 5, 2010
Hi Dad42.. thanks for sharing your experience. Just want to clarify one thing, do you have a valid visa at that time or is the visa was expired and you had a new I747 & i94?
thanks

jayan117

Dec 5, 2010
Thanks Shinygirl. Is this Rule Still Valid? I am planning to land in Canada on Dec 29th and return for the New Year.

Shinygirl

Star Member
Nov 3, 2010
Yes i suppose the rule is still valid, it was used by one of our forum members around thanksgiving, he just gave a detailed description of the procedure he went through, you may wanna go over that. I think its under Skilled worker and by nag1d.

Good luck.

jamesbond

Star Member
Oct 30, 2008
Yes, it's still valid.

Here is a link with more info: http://travel.state.gov/visa/temp/info/info_1299.html

dad42

Nov 7, 2010
jayan117 said:
Hi Dad42.. thanks for sharing your experience. Just want to clarify one thing, do you have a valid visa at that time or is the visa was expired and you had a new I747 & i94?
thanks
Hi
My F-1 visa was expired and F-2 was valid.

thanks

jayan117

Dec 5, 2010
Thanks everyone. I went to Canada this week Jan 3rd for completing my landing procedure. There was nothing much asked other than the usual questions (1. What brings you to Canada (for completing my landing procedure as part of the immigration process), 2. how long you are going to be here (for a week), 3. what is the address in Canada you will be staying(Gave my Brother's address) ) THen he asked us to wait to fill up his paper work and then called us to sign the COPR sheets. Then we went to customs and he asked for 1. Goods to Follow which i had it handy. 2. When are you planning to move here permanently (In Jun). 30 min over all and formalities are over.

We had lunch and returned to USA same day

at the entry the officer asked 1. What is your citizenship (indian), 2. where are you working (New Jersey) 3. why and when you came to canada (For completing my landing process in canada as part of the immigration) 4. do you know you visa has expired (yes i am yet to go for stamping and my i94 is valid and gave the new I-94 and 797 form. today am using the AVR rule). 5. You are all set Have a Good Day

Then i back in USA!!!!

Thanks for your questions and answers dad42 it was very helpful.

Simon123

Jun 4, 2009
USA
Here is mine

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/landing-experience-from-us-to-canada-with-avr-t65333.0.html;msg626504#msg626504

kumbu.bumbu

Jan 13, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
24-06-2014
Here is mine

http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/landing-experience-via-road-rainbow-bridge-ny-usa-t13778.0.html;msg55908#msg55908

vkkpnm

Mar 16, 2013
A quick question, do we need to surrender i94 if we are planning to use AVR during landing process in Canada? Do we get new i94 while coming back to US.

Appreciate quick response.