+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada India Tensions

anandsin

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
Creating this post for a open discussion about the Canada India tensions and what are applicants thoughts.
  • Planning to go ahead with the PR process, student visa etc and ignore the tensions
  • Change your plans and not plan to move to Canada
My situation
I received passport request and one time entry stamp is done. I have until May 2024 to enter into Canada. I live in US, so planning to visit Canada next year in March or April and keep moving forward with the process. I feel the tensions between the countries is temporary and it will be resolved if not next year probably following year. I am not much aware if Khalistan and other diplomatic concerns until recently. So, open to peoples suggestions and thoughts.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
Creating this post for a open discussion about the Canada India tensions and what are applicants thoughts.
  • Planning to go ahead with the PR process, student visa etc and ignore the tensions
  • Change your plans and not plan to move to Canada
My situation
I received passport request and one time entry stamp is done. I have until May 2024 to enter into Canada. I live in US, so planning to visit Canada next year in March or April and keep moving forward with the process. I feel the tensions between the countries is temporary and it will be resolved if not next year probably following year. I am not much aware if Khalistan and other diplomatic concerns until recently. So, open to peoples suggestions and thoughts.
My take is to stay aware of current situation, but don't obsessively consume news. Not worth it.

If you are an approved PR - move without worrying. Canada is a first world country, while I don't appreciate the lack of efforts made by the Canadian govt to safeguard us, I still think it will continue to be a safe place for most of us.

Not moving to Canada because of a small diplomatic spat that would potentially go away in a year or so isn't worth it. India and Canada have been at it from last few decades (this is a new low, but nothing new).

If you are feeling unsure, insecure, etc - talk to other members of our diaspora. Stay away from self-hating Indian immigrants - they'll give you zero perspective into anything and can paint an unrealistically negative image of Canada. Also stay away from extreme patriots, who are as bad as self-hating immigrants.

Focus on the most important part of settlement for now - job, housing, etc.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
@iSaidGoodDay Yes that's my opinion as well and wanted to hear from people who are in Canada.
How is Canada media portraying this situation.
Speaking as a non-Indian:
-about half the commentary is people/media attacking the government (here) and particularly Trudeau for handling the situation badly;
-most of the rest of the commentary is that (if true) Indian government actions outrageous and unacceptable. I emphasize, Indian government - not directed at citizens and people of India. (Within this group of comments, there's considerable dismay and disappointment that a fairly large part of the Indian media reaction seems to completely discount or dismiss or misrepresent what Canada's said and asked for, and almost as much outright support for actually carrying out assassinations abroad and cheering on if this was one.)

Within both of these larger groups of comments, there are various comments about how well Canada handles the situation internally - both protecting its residents and citizens and dealing with extremists in-country. (Side note: on a day to day basis right now our worst domestic extremist issues are right-wing groups like white supremacists.)

Almost none (zero) of the commentary is directed at Indian nationals. Almost none is directed at immigration or visitors from India. I'd go so far as to say that only really extreme, marginal viewpoints have even raised either.

Just IMO.

priyankagupta

Jan 26, 2016
Hi Everyone,
I am a Canadian PR having Indian passport and I am travelling to Toronto tomorrow from Netherlands. Is there any issue with entry into Canada?
Thanks in advance!

RohanKumar007

Star Member
Apr 16, 2021
No reason to worry. Canada is not a gulf country, where rules are dictated by any royal family or a single person. US has decades of broken relation with Cuba and Iran, yet many Cuban and Iranian people come and study in US and even naturalize.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
No reason to worry. Canada is not a gulf country, where rules are dictated by any royal family or a single person. US has decades of broken relation with Cuba and Iran, yet many Cuban and Iranian people come and study in US and even naturalize.
That's a good point. Canada doesn't as a matter of course 'take it out on' nationals of countries we have issues with. Quite the opposite.

And that's my experience generally too with Canadians and people in Canada. My spouse is from a country that is not, ahem, 'popular' right now, and when people hear she is from there, she gets sympathy more than anything.

Or as a friend of mine (in the USA actually) put it: "we're all originally from fucked-up countries. That's why we left." That's an exaggeration - of course - and not a criticism of other places; but even if not literally correct, it does accurately convey that people mostly aren't treated as if they are representatives of their country of origin or blamed for its troubles.

Somewhat paradoxically (and illogically) most kind of get a bit of benefit for the interesting things about their country of origin, i.e. it's asymmetrical.

It's changed a bit over time with hyper-sensitivity and people taking offence about innocent questions (IMO) but you kind of have to get used to people asking where you're from. It's the equivalent of talking about the weather, but quite a bit more interesting (again IMO). (People ask me all the time where I'm 'originally' from - and my family's been here 150 yrs + and plain old white Canadian/mongrel European.) It's a mistake to assume it's about race.

anandsin

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
I'm not particularly concerned about how Canada might treat us, but the suspension of visa services for Canadian citizens in India does worry me. My family is still in India, so I'm keen on traveling there to visit them. If the Indian government doesn't lift the ban on Canadian citizens, it could become a long-term issue. As I mentioned earlier, I don't believe these problems are permanent, and I intend to proceed with the PR process. However, it's essential to understand the Canadian perspective on this matter. Fortunately, it seems quite positive, and despite some concerns, Canada is unlikely to obstruct the immigration process since they require more people to sustain their economy and support their aging population.

RohanKumar007

Star Member
Apr 16, 2021
I'm not particularly concerned about how Canada might treat us, but the suspension of visa services for Canadian citizens in India does worry me. My family is still in India, so I'm keen on traveling there to visit them. If the Indian government doesn't lift the ban on Canadian citizens, it could become a long-term issue. As I mentioned earlier, I don't believe these problems are permanent, and I intend to proceed with the PR process. However, it's essential to understand the Canadian perspective on this matter. Fortunately, it seems quite positive, and despite some concerns, Canada is unlikely to obstruct the immigration process since they require more people to sustain their economy and support their aging population.
OCI are still being processed. Anyway, since everyone has family based in India not sure why people don't apply for OCI. I know people who left Indian citizenship 7 or 8 years back, super nationalist but don't even have OCI card.
I don't think what your friend said is wrong. Unfortunately, Canada-India tussle on this issue will be permanent, it has been from many decades but won't impact the visa and stuff. Western countries are different, they isolate government and people-to-people issues. US issues green card and visas to Iranian or Chinese without issues, despite tuscle. Although they are subject to stringent security checks at times, but outcome is not changed. Even US has same diaspora issues, but no disrespect to Canada but quality of immigrants in US far exceeds Canada, so that's why you see more politics in Canada than US.

Thanks to country cap quota of US though, many skilled workers have moved to Canada. But it needs to be seen if Canada can retain them, as based on experience most people who studied and worked in US and moved to Canada don't particularly like it (myself included). Canada needs people but I hope they can get rid of some of their red tape, and build more houses. Diaspora politics won't help. Few weeks I met an Uber driver who was a mechanical engineer doing side hustles in Canada just to sustain. He told I was probably his last ride, as he recently became a Canadian citizen and received job offer in his domain on TN visa in US. This was not the first time I heard this story.

Last edited:
Reactions: anandsin

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
OCI process isn't stopped yet. Only visas are paused. You can always take OCI.

anandsin

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
OCI are still being processed. Anyway, since everyone has family based in India not sure why people don't apply for OCI. I know people who left Indian citizenship 7 or 8 years back, super nationalist but don't even have OCI card.
I don't think what your friend said is wrong. Unfortunately, Canada-India tussle on this issue will be permanent, it has been from many decades but won't impact the visa and stuff. Western countries are different, they isolate government and people-to-people issues. US issues green card and visas to Iranian or Chinese without issues, despite tuscle. Although they are subject to stringent security checks at times, but outcome is not changed. Even US has same diaspora issues, but no disrespect to Canada but quality of immigrants in US far exceeds Canada, so that's why you see more politics in Canada than US.

Thanks to country cap quota of US though, many skilled workers have moved to Canada. But it needs to be seen if Canada can retain them, as based on experience most people who studied and worked in US and moved to Canada don't particularly like it (myself included). Canada needs people but I hope they can get rid of some of their red tape, and build more houses. Diaspora politics won't help. Few weeks I met an Uber driver who was a mechanical engineer doing side hustles in Canada just to sustain. He told I was probably his last ride, as he recently became a Canadian citizen and received job offer in his domain on TN visa in US. This was not the first time I heard this story.

It's disheartening to see that individuals are returning to the United States after residing in Canada for several years . I hope that the circumstances improve in the years to come, allowing Canada to retain its valuable talent.

I concur that the USA's policy of welcoming immigrants from all corners of the world, regardless of their countries' relationships, is noteworthy. Personally, I currently have no intentions of relocating back to the USA. However, I believe my decision may evolve over time, as it's based on my lack of firsthand experience living in Canada. The passage of time and changing conditions will ultimately determine my path. Overall, the comments in this discussion have reassured me that many people share similar thoughts when considering the PR card process and the prospect of moving to Canada, even amidst diplomatic challenges between Canada and India.

iSaidGoodDay

VIP Member
Feb 3, 2023
Kaneda
It's disheartening to see that individuals are returning to the United States after residing in Canada for several years . I hope that the circumstances improve in the years to come, allowing Canada to retain its valuable talent.

I concur that the USA's policy of welcoming immigrants from all corners of the world, regardless of their countries' relationships, is noteworthy. Personally, I currently have no intentions of relocating back to the USA. However, I believe my decision may evolve over time, as it's based on my lack of firsthand experience living in Canada. The passage of time and changing conditions will ultimately determine my path. Overall, the comments in this discussion have reassured me that many people share similar thoughts when considering the PR card process and the prospect of moving to Canada, even amidst diplomatic challenges between Canada and India.
USA has banned entire countries from immigrating to them. You should talk to Iranian folks and their experiences, it isn't nice. They are not a model country to look at when it comes to immigration when it comes to the humanity. US does very well with bringing in talent, so does Singapore too, neither are a "great model" or loved by immigrants for it. They are not welcoming tbh.

anandsin

Star Member
Jan 12, 2023
Caveats will always be present because no country on this planet possesses an ideal immigration policy. Each nation has its shortcomings within its immigration regulations. For instance, Canada's absence of country quotas has led to a significant influx of Indian and Chinese immigrants, potentially influencing its demographics over time. Conversely, the USA's use of country quotas encourages greater diversity but results in prolonged green card waiting periods for Indian and Chinese immigrants.

In Gulf countries, individuals from all nations are generally permitted to work but are often limited to low-level job opportunities, with no pathway to permanent residency.

The immigration process itself is inherently intricate, and it remains uncertain whether a flawless system truly exists, as each country has its drawbacks.

In 2022, the IRCC released the following percentages of permanent residents (PRs) from different countries, underscoring the substantial influx of immigrants from India and China:

• India (118,095 immigrants) – 27%
  • China (31,815 immigrants) - 7.2%
  • Afghanistan (23,735 immigrants) – 5.4%
  • Nigeria (22,085 immigrants) – 5.05%
  • Philippines (22,070 immigrants) – 5.04%
  • France (14,145 immigrants) – 3.2%
  • Pakistan (11,585 immigrants) – 2.6%
  • Iran (11,105 immigrants) – 2.5%
  • United States of America (10,400 immigrants) – 2.3%
  • Syria (8,500 immigrants) – 1.9%
Ultimately, it's crucial to extract the best from the situations and conditions we find ourselves in, striving to make the most of our lives.