+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada government seizing Bank account

Surrey19

Aug 19, 2020
Hello everyone

I have transferred money to my brother in Canada through a bank wire transfer few Month ago and the amount is around 45k .

i was told my my brother that the bank have seized and blocked the account temporarily as the government is investigating if he was eligible to get the 16 K from the government during 8 month of Covid .He Was actually self employed and he didn’t do any fraud

I do need urgent to know how can I deal with this issue to make the process faster as he told me that they should get back to him within a week ..is this really the case and do I need to put lawyer

knowing that he told me that They blocked his account from 9 days and that investigation is occurring with thousands of Canadians

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello everyone

I have transferred money to my brother in Canada through a bank wire transfer few Month ago and the amount is around 45k .

i was told my my brother that the bank have seized and blocked the account temporarily as the government is investigating if he was eligible to get the 16 K from the government during 8 month of Covid .He Was actually self employed and he didn’t do any fraud

I do need urgent to know how can I deal with this issue to make the process faster as he told me that they should get back to him within a week ..is this really the case and do I need to put lawyer

knowing that he told me that They blocked his account from 9 days and that investigation is occurring with thousands of Canadians
If he was self-employed and still working he wouldn’t be entitled to any Covid benefits. If transferring over 10l there is always a risk that there can be a hold out on the transfer. Your brother needs to provide proof to CRA to clear up the whether he was entitled to Covid benefits or not. If he wan’t CRA will likely confiscate the owed funds. Why are you transferring such a large amount of funds to your brother? If you use a friend or family as an intermediary to transfer money through it comes with risks.