Kucuy15

Jul 6, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
05-05-2015
Oh wow! This absolutely spot on Asivad... I couldn't say it better even if I tried! There is no point on trying to 'scare' people away based on your own personal experiences... Everyone has the right to experiment these things on their own, I think is better to crash and burn than not trying at all and then wonder for the rest of your life what would've been like if you'd tried!
Be realistic and prepare for the worse while fighting for the best! I have been an immigrant before and man it was hard but I made it through and I am ready to begin the journey all over again knowing that the odds might be stacked against me, but I won't let that stop me from pursuing my dreams because I sure know what I am capable of and I am willing to give it a try... just because I can :)

So instead of trying to shatter people's dreams with threads like this one, let's help each other succeed through this journey! Live and let live...

If moving to another country hasn't scared you yet, you haven't probably thought it through completely. Fear of the unknown is part of the human psyche and it is a good survival mechanism as well because, by and large, it keeps you safe and alive. It is important to acknowledge that this fear of the unknown is part of our evolutionary heritage and can be consciously transformed into a positive force as well. This fear of the unknown should motivate you to gather as much information about Canada as possible so that gradually the unknown component reduces and you start feeling increasingly more comfortable with this decision at a subconscious level. It is a bit like starting a relationship - 'mindless' romance eventually gives way to pragmatic companionship.

After that psycho-babble, here are some hard facts. Transplantation is never easy. Be optimistic but prepare for the worst (including going back to your home country). Do not burn bridges at home, avoid selling everything in a bid to move to Canada, have a base at your home country as well. Give yourself a clearly defined window to succeed in Canada and assign a budget to that as well. Be extremely prudent with your finances in the early days and do not succumb to the temptation of short-term benefits (a store clerk job starting tomorrow, for instance) against 6 months of searching, networking, interviewing, being rejected, feeling suicidal, battling depression and managing family expectations while holding out for that respectable job to come your way. Start building your awareness about the Canadian economy, culture, socioeconomic patterns, provinces, industry sectors, tax structures etc to better integrate into a new society. Above all, stop letting others bad experiences scare you. Everyone's life is different - it is important to take lessons from their examples but more important to not absorb either someone's overpowering optimism or their nauseating negativity, as the case might be.

All the best!

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
Re: Canada Dream - Reality

YamPower said:
And this is why I will ignore all of these doomsday posts and take the plunge anyway. I'm a Native English speaker in IT; it's worth a shot. Good luck everyone.
There are people who shouldn't come. Some immigrants will make it, some won't.

For those who are skilled, with native-level English (or French), it's possible to make it. It doesn't mean you will, but it's possible.

Kucuy15

Jul 6, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
05-05-2015

kateg said:
There are people who shouldn't come. Some immigrants will make it, some won't.

If you are a Skilled Worker, a Native English Speaker, and highly intelligent, you can make it in Canada.
I totally agree that 'Skilled workers, native English speakers and highly intelligent' people have a greater chance to succeed not only in Canada but anywhere... You have just describe the perfect candidate!
But since not everybody is perfect I still believe that people outside those qualifications who compensate with other skills are capable of success as well.

I agreed with the skilled worker statement but not so much with the other two. For instance, I am not a native English speaker and I successfully migrated to the USA as a student first and later as a skilled worker... I can communicate perfectly in English so I do not think not being a native is a deal breaker. Also, sometimes (most of the time actually) experience beats intelligence...
So I will continue to say that yes it is true that migration is not for everyone. But that does not mean that you need to be a 'perfect' candidate to succeed. You just need to know where you lack and work harder than most :)

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
I think that the critical thing for an immigrant is to be open to anything at all to get your foot in the door. For example, the example of the Indian teacher from Dubai who has been unable to find a public school teaching job -- teaching jobs in an big Ontario city are hard to get, Canadian teachers spend years as supply teachers and often change careers before landing one. Toronto is the hardest. However, teaching jobs in remote areas are easy -- go work on a fly-in Native reserve, go work in Nunavut or northern Manitoba, and you will find jobs easily. They pay well, and will give you a remarkable experience that translates well into work farther south.

But to do things like that, you have to be flexible -- don't buy a house or sign a one-year lease before you have a job, and don't assume you'll be living in Toronto or Vancouver. Edmonton, Regina, Winnipeg, might seem like desperate last-chances, but they aren't -- they're actually fine options, and the real end of the road is the far North. Jobs are easier to get there because not many Canadians want to go; and as an immigrant, you're new here, you are at a disadvantage when competing. By accepting harsher jobs, you give yourself an advantage.

As for the person who pointed out that Alberta is no longer a safety valve, they are absolutely correct. But on the larger issue of Canada sucking -- the oil patch is actually pretty new, when I was here as a college student, there were no tar sands. Canada is more than oil. If you come here expecting to get rich, Dubai, Singapore, or other places are probably better. But if you are looking for a country to become middle class, and be accepted both as yourself and as a new Canadian, with a just, honest government, rule of law, and a kind society, Canada is one of the best places in the world. For the student who is obsessed with the fact that he comes from a 'first class' Asian country -- what does that mean? It doesn't mean that the government is open, non-corrupt, and treats everyone equally. It does mean you can work hard and get rich there, and the streets are clean. Whatever, it's a free world -- I'd rather raise my kids in a country where they learn to see the government as the protector of their rights, and every other citizen as their equal.

nonnemacher

Aug 10, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
It`s not easy to settle down in another country, away from friends, family and out of your comfort zone. I left my country because I believe I can have a better life in Canada, and after 2 years living in Ontario I`m really happy here. I`m still a temporary worker, struggling to have more points in the EE so I can finally get my PR.

We started from the bottom when we first arrived in Canada. Working my ass off in a restaurant, week days and weekends, my wife was doing the same. We both are skilled workers but we were not ashamed of accepting any kind of job that was offered to us. Today I`m still working weekends at the same restaurant and during the week I`m working with finance. My wife is working with web design. We are are not English native speakers, and we do have opportunities here. We don`t have the best jobs yet, but we are indeed climbing the ladder of success bit by bit.

Work twice as hard as you would work in your native country and you will find success here, believe me. Don`t expect that you`ll easily find your dream job here. You have to work hard to earn it.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
Asivad is also correct --- success or failure is never guaranteed, and the prescriptions for how to 'win' are usually based on a sample size of one (mine included). People do everything right and fail; others slack off and succeed. My wife and I have gotten settled comfortably after five years, but it has been touch and go, there were three different points where we were, frankly, lucky. One thing that made it bearable is we did not come to Canada as a way of putting the icing on the cake of our lives, we had very little when we chose to immigrate, and feel that Canada has given us a chance when no one else would. It makes it easier, that way.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015

Kucuy15 said:
I agreed with the skilled worker statement but not so much with the other two. For instance, I am not a native English speaker and I successfully migrated to the USA as a student first and later as a skilled worker... I can communicate perfectly in English so I do not think not being a native is a deal breaker. Also, sometimes (most of the time actually) experience beats intelligence...
So I will continue to say that yes it is true that migration is not for everyone. But that does not mean that you need to be a 'perfect' candidate to succeed. You just need to know where you lack and work harder than most :)
I should have said Native-level. It's not so important where you started, but it is important where you finish.

As for experience beating intelligence, I'd argue that there's a point at which intelligence trumps experience. An intelligent person can gain more experience; an experienced person has a much harder time gaining more intelligence.

I would agree that you don't need to be a perfect candidate to succeed. I take issue with the way some people say that effectively "nobody can succeed". That's simply not true.

kateg

Aug 26, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
01-05-2015
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
01-05-2015
IELTS Request
05-05-2015
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
N/A
Med's Done....
16-04-2015
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
N/A
LANDED..........
27-08-2015
on-hold said:
People do everything right and fail; others slack off and succeed.
I would respectfully disagree. Luck is what happens when you don't take control of your own destiny.

My father was unemployed many years. I swore I would never be. If everyone I knew were hit by a meteor tomorrow, and you dumped me with only the clothes on my back at a random location in Canada, I would manage to get back on my feet fairly quickly. My entire occupation could have zero jobs in the entire world, and I would manage to get back on my feet fairly quickly. Failure is not an option.

on-hold

Champion Member
Feb 6, 2010
kateg said:
I would respectfully disagree. Luck is what happens when you don't take control of your own destiny.

My father was unemployed many years. I swore I would never be. If everyone I knew were hit by a meteor tomorrow, and you dumped me with only the clothes on my back at a random location in Canada, I would manage to get back on my feet fairly quickly. My entire occupation could have zero jobs in the entire world, and I would manage to get back on my feet fairly quickly. Failure is not an option.

With an attitude like that, you should go to the States! The entire culture there is based on blaming people for their own problems. You would fit right in.

Anyway, good luck. Your post is probably the most arrogant I have read on this forum in many years, I'm sure that at the very least you will have an interesting time in Canada.

YamPower

Champion Member
Jan 13, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-04-2015
Med's Done....
14-04-2015
Passport Req..
09-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-09-2015
LANDED..........
13-11-2015
on-hold said:
With an attitude like that, you should go to the States! The entire culture there is based on blaming people for their own problems. You would fit right in.

Anyway, good luck. Your post is probably the most arrogant I have read on this forum in many years, I'm sure that at the very least you will have an interesting time in Canada.
Strong internal locus of control is a characteristic of people who succeed. Anyone who waits for something to happen for them or is looking to people to do something for them is far more likely to fail.

KateG is determined to succeed. What's so arrogant about that?

purplesnow

Feb 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
on-hold said:

where in this was she blaming anyone else for her problems? I don't see any problems being mentioned?
The world is divided into people who go out and work for what they want and people who sit back and let life happen to them. Nothing intrinsically wrong with either of those approaches. All she's saying is that she will work to make sure she succeeds, rather than depend on luck for things to work out. - which, respectfully, is something any immigrant hoping to create a new life and establish themselves in a new country, needs to be prepared to do.

sammy2607

Star Member
Jan 7, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-07-2015
Med's Done....
11th July,2015
No offence to the people who are blaming Canada for the stress and struggle.
Please just have a look around. There is some kind of struggle in every country, maybe different, but surely is.

Surely there are people who came as doctors but are now working in a different professions, I have also met a lot of truck drivers, who lead a more lavish life than the doctors in other countries. So that is not the point. If you think that by immigrating to Canada, you would dodge that mid 20s-40s struggle, you are wrong. Have hope and be strong, and you will be successful anywhere in the world.

PS- Dont take my comment personally
8) 8)

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
on-hold said:

Dude. I don't get you. Where has the OP blamed anyone? I don't find the post arrogant either. Could you kindly point out which part of the post was arrogant/where the OP was blaming others? With all due respect, your claim makes no sense at all. To me, she is confident and not arrogant.

macast

Star Member
Apr 24, 2014
Yellowknife
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Asivad Anac said:
Be optimistic but prepare for the worst (including going back to your home country).
This should be the title of this forum, actually should be a popup message so every person should understand that before anything.

BTW, My English sucked big time 2 years ago, even now I am not that good, but I am the person with more experience in an specific technology they need. They get into all the trouble to get 1 LMO 2 years ago and 1 LMIA (Renew) 3 months ago. I am just saying, every single situation is different, certainly is good to have a fluent level in english but is not a MUST if you have a good plan.

Wonderful day to everybody

mr. gerbil

Star Member
Jul 22, 2015
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
AOR Received.
04-11-2015
If you have a good job and not enough points, all you can do is to get extra 600 points through provincial nominee program under express entry which will cost more money than before. It's just a way government trying to make more money. We can't do anything about it. I HATE this new policy as everybody does. But I think you should re-examine the situation of yours. And maybe there is still a chance. My point is 412 and I'm doing BC PNP express entry now. After this, my point will be 1000+.

Good luck to all.