File Transfer...
13-05-2011
Med's Done....
02-12-2011 & 2nd 02-02-2011
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2012
So my wife finally has sold our apartment and will be coming next month, so I had a few question about her bring some of our belongs with her to Canada when she comes.So I decided to contacted Canadian customs.My wife is been sponsored by me and am a citizen of canada anyways so I contacted them to ask some questions the officer who picked up the phone first off he had a deep french accent and was very rude. I explained to him our situation and he was like no no she can not bring anything with her since she is coming as a visitor so I explained again that she is getting sponsored by me her husband the guy said in a very bad tone NO she can not bring anything with her at this time only her personal belongings.So I went back on line and read about it again this time I got my Brother to call the same guy told him NO.I got totally pissed off because these are our belongings that can not be left behind.So I contacted the Customs and a lady picked up I explained to her my frustration she said hold on I will forward you to a senior officer, So i explained the situation to him as well he told me that my wife could bring all her belongings with her and if so she can leave some behind for goods to follow after but I told him that my wife sold our property and was bring them with her and he said no problem.I am totally confused and was wondering has anyone else had any issues with bring their goods with them to Canada when their spouse was coming in as a sponsored person?

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
Please clarify one thing. Has she received PR visa? Or is the application still in the process and she is coming visitor status.

omidakh

Star Member
May 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2011
File Transfer...
13-05-2011
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2012
no she has recieved her PR visa.

CharlieD10

VIP Member
Sep 5, 2010
Northern Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-02-2011
File Transfer...
09-05-2011
Med's Done....
17-01-2011, 08-03-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
30-3-2012
VISA ISSUED...
13-04-2012
LANDED..........
06-06-2012
As long as she is landing as a PR, she can bring all her possessions as goods accompanying or ship them after as goods to follow.

omidakh

Star Member
May 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2011
File Transfer...
13-05-2011
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2012
cheers, thanks!!!

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
It might be that your use of "coming as a visitor" might have resulted in confusion. A visitor cannot bring other than personal belongings (or you may have to pay a lot of customs). If she is landing as a PR, as Charlie mentioned, she can bring her possessions. Is she not landing when she comes?

omidakh

Star Member
May 11, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Ankara
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-03-2011
File Transfer...
13-05-2011
Med's Done....
Passport Req..
16-05-2012
VISA ISSUED...
29-05-2012
yes shes landing as a PR.I mentioned this to the first officer but I think he didn't understand English that well.He told me it didn't matter because she will have to speak to an immigration officer before they give her the ok and I was like she has her PR visa and he said she is not a PR when she lands its as a visitor.I just think he was an idiot.

RCVmini

Star Member
May 17, 2012
Victoria BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC Mississauga, Visa Office - Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Sent 03 May, RETURNED 24 May.... filed again June 03 . Accpeted 5 July 2012
AOR Received.
06 July 2012
File Transfer...
10 July 2012
Med's Done....
06 July 2012
LANDED..........
soonest I hope
AnaMaria said:
It might be that your use of "coming as a visitor" might have resulted in confusion. A visitor cannot bring other than personal belongings (or you may have to pay a lot of customs). If she is landing as a PR, as Charlie mentioned, she can bring her possessions. Is she not landing when she comes?
No its because he ran into a lazy-franacphone who didn't know and didn't want to do his job and find out.

AnaMaria

May 2, 2012
New Westminster, BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-05-2012
AOR Received.
09-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
04-05-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
Waived
VISA ISSUED...
08-11-2012
LANDED..........
30-11-2012!
Just make sure to fill out a form. I'm not anywhere close to be landing and not familiar with the process but if you search in this forum, you should be able t find out what form.

Congratulations!

parker24

VIP Member
Nov 26, 2011
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo, NY --> Los Angeles, CA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
File Transfer...
05-06-2012
Med's Done....
16-11-2011
Passport Req..
16-11-2012
LANDED..........
04-01-2013
AnaMaria said:
Just make sure to fill out a form. I'm not anywhere close to be landing and not familiar with the process but if you search in this forum, you should be able t find out what form.

Congratulations!
It's called a B4 form. I lost the link myself, I'm sure if you searched B4 it would come up though :) But yes you do need this form.

EDIT: Here it is:

http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/b4-eng.pdf

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I would email CBSA. Something black and white is always better and clear.

danielren

Jun 27, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Just a tip for you, for tax purposes, this is the only chance for your wife to declare any assets held in foreign countries, as this value would be counted as cost basis for calculating any capital gain/loss in the future if there is any at the time of disposal. :)

omidakh said:
yes shes landing as a PR.I mentioned this to the first officer but I think he didn't understand English that well.He told me it didn't matter because she will have to speak to an immigration officer before they give her the ok and I was like she has her PR visa and he said she is not a PR when she lands its as a visitor.I just think he was an idiot.

mehdiR

Jan 3, 2012
canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
danielren said:
Just a tip for you, for tax purposes, this is the only chance for your wife to declare any assets held in foreign countries, as this value would be counted as cost basis for calculating any capital gain/loss in the future if there is any at the time of disposal. :)
Hello all, I 'm sponsoring my wife as well.
Could you elaborate this a bit more cause we got inheritance back home and lots of house hold furniture and belongings we wanna bring after my wife receives her visa.

thanks

mehdiR

Jan 3, 2012
canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
omidakh said:
So my wife finally has sold our apartment and will be coming next month, so I had a few question about her bring some of our belongs with her to Canada when she comes.So I decided to contacted Canadian customs.My wife is been sponsored by me and am a citizen of canada anyways so I contacted them to ask some questions the officer who picked up the phone first off he had a deep french accent and was very rude. I explained to him our situation and he was like no no she can not bring anything with her since she is coming as a visitor so I explained again that she is getting sponsored by me her husband the guy said in a very bad tone NO she can not bring anything with her at this time only her personal belongings.So I went back on line and read about it again this time I got my Brother to call the same guy told him NO.I got totally pissed off because these are our belongings that can not be left behind.So I contacted the Customs and a lady picked up I explained to her my frustration she said hold on I will forward you to a senior officer, So i explained the situation to him as well he told me that my wife could bring all her belongings with her and if so she can leave some behind for goods to follow after but I told him that my wife sold our property and was bring them with her and he said no problem.I am totally confused and was wondering has anyone else had any issues with bring their goods with them to Canada when their spouse was coming in as a sponsored person?
Omid jan

hi , have u guys found a good shipping company( freight) to send your belongings?
The reason I 'm asking is that I called a few companies , and it's a bit costly to send stuff from Iran because of sanctions . One told me that it costs us around 5 grand to bring the 20-foot crate up to the new found land border .then the rest we have to take care of. !!

They send the stuff to dubai , then they move the things to another container , with the sender being a dubai based company ( sanctions again) they send it to canada.

So I figured with this dollar to rial exchange rate , does the stuff worth around 10 million tomans at least?

what is your input brother?

toby

Champion Member
Sep 29, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
November 2009
Med's Done....
October 2009 and 15 April 2011
Interview........
4 April 2011
Passport Req..
4 April 2011
VISA ISSUED...
7 July 2011
LANDED..........
15 July 2011
mehdiR said:
Hello all, I 'm sponsoring my wife as well.
Could you elaborate this a bit more cause we got inheritance back home and lots of house hold furniture and belongings we wanna bring after my wife receives her visa.

thanks

Personal belongings like household furniture are brought into Canada without tax. Just put the things you are bringing with you on the proper form (I forget its number) and any goods to be brought in later on the Goods to Follow form.

You inheritance is not taxable either. Any investment income earned from the inheritance (interest, dividends, capital gains on stocks) IS taxable in Canada once you move here, but not until you officially land. In your first tax return you will be asked about foreign assets. It's been a while since I filed a tax return in Canada, so I am not sure about this point, but I have been told that you state your foreign assets not in the first tax return, but on the second.

The cost base of your foreign assets is their fair market value on the day you land in Canada, so keep proper records. Only growth in value above the cost base is taxable in Canada, when you receive the profits.