>>>>Canada COPR - Traveling from USA. COVID-19 Pace. 2019/2020<<<< Join here

Danaan

Star Member
Jan 23, 2017
Virginia, USA
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
Yes, quarantine does not mean
"I'll just go for groceries," or "I'll go for a walk in the woods. No one will be around me."

Quarantine is - stay at home and do not leave.

This rule also applies to Canadian citizens as well. A friend who came back from abroad had to quarantine and the CBSA checked in at random times throughout the process. They're taking it VERY seriously.

Here in Vancouver, during the initial stages of the lock down, it was super easy to order things online, like groceries and such so you shouldn't have a problem with that.

If you're having to quarantine, I'd say, buy a Criterion channel subscription and use it as a chance to watch all those Fellini films you've been meaning to see (or rewatch)!

On a side note, one thing that I've come to really appreciate about Canadian culture is that there's a respect for sensible rule following here, especially if it's for the better good.

A few weeks back I was camping, and the site had a rule that all fires needed to be out by 10PM. I thought "I'm paying for this site. I'll put out the fire when I want. That's such a stupid rule."

It was my American sensibilities rearing their ugly head.

I forgot about it, but went to brush my teeth around 10PM and I noticed all the other campers putting out their fires.

It got me thinking that something as small and inconsequential as this was an analog in some ways to mask wearing in the US.

It's become politicized and about "freedoms" when it's really not about that at all. It's really just about keeping yourself and others healthy.

Sorry for the long post, but the point is, if you come here from out of the country QUARANTINE for 14 days!!! And don't break the rules!!!
Totally agree. I've had more than enough of the twisted American definition of "freedom."

maxshrike

Star Member
Aug 26, 2019
San Jose, California
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
App. Filed.......
10-10-2019
AOR Received.
04-11-2019
File Transfer...
26-11-2019
Med's Request
22-11-2019
Med's Done....
03-12-2019
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
10-01-2020
LANDED..........
17-08-2020
Hi all- I landed! Via land at Regway crossing (Montana/Saskatchewan). No problem at all at the border. They cheerily validated my COPR. I am now a permanent resident of Canada! Currently in quarantine. RCMP stopped me about 200km inside Saskatchewan. He was upset to see us. He clearly didn’t know the rules, asked why we didn’t quarantine near Regway. Um, there’s nothing there ! Anyhow, he couldn’t do much, he tried to call the border but they didn’t answer, he took my name & cellphone #. Anyhow, at 11pm that night, the RCMP sent an officer to check on us. Fortunately I was awake on a conference call with Asia. He was more polite, just checking “on the American who is supposed to quarantine “. No issues- I’m a PR now! ;)

Danaan

Star Member
Jan 23, 2017
Virginia, USA
App. Filed.......
15-05-2017
We landed last week at Aldergrove POE, north of Bellingham. We drove a U-Haul and imported two vehicles. We had a Goods to accompany list plus some wine/liquor and a list of new items that were not designated settler's goods and we expected to pay duty on, and our pets. We had exported the vehicles at a different US port the day before. Everything went smoothly. The border officer searched the contents in the vehicle being towed, but then didn't even open the other vehicle or the moving van. We had a solid quarantine plan, including someone lined up to return the U-Haul for us, but surprisingly no one asked us about it at the border and no one has tried to contact us after a week of being here. We are following our plan and haven't left our property.

Tess007

Star Member
Sep 30, 2019
Hi, we are planning to drive from Houston through North Dakota to Winnipeg. First week of October. Any info regarding our trip will be appreciated. Also, how long did it take to receive your Copr, not sure of the current timeline. I sent my pp about a week ago.

gabbar0101

Jun 26, 2020
Hi All - has anyone traveled from US to Canada on flight recently during COVID - want to hear experiences and what to expect.

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
Hi All - has anyone traveled from US to Canada on flight recently during COVID - want to hear experiences and what to expect.
I did this last week. I'm a US citizen. I flew from Chicago-O'Hare to Toronto-Pearson and had no problems whatsoever. I pre-registered with ArriveCAN and put all my quarantine details in there. Here's what I experienced:

Before the flight, an airline representative (this was an American major carrier, not Air Canada) had all the non-residents come up and provide their documents verifying they had a permissible reason to come to Canada. She was a little confused by my (not-expired) COPR initially, but eventually found whatever it was she needed on it.

At Pearson, the process was extremely smooth. I had lots of information prepared about my quarantine, ongoing plans, etc., and none of that was requested - not even about the normal stuff like proof of funds. Here's the questions they actually asked:

* Have you been arrested or convicted of any crimes since your application was filed? (this is legally required, I think)
* Do you have any dependents not listed on your COPR? (also required)
* What flight did you come in on?
* What brings you to Canada?
* Have you been to Canada before?

the last two were phrased more as small talk than "I am interrogating you" style questions; everybody was polite and even friendly throughout. (That doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared to answer, though!) I think the use of the app probably made a difference; everyone who asked about quarantine just waved me through once I showed them the app's confirmation code.

Now, I'm in Toronto and quarantining. Be aware that public health *will* follow up to make sure you are following your quarantine plan (and have everything you need - food, medicine, etc.). They will also be friendly, but violating quarantine is against the law and you could lose your status over it, and they'll remind you of that.

Also, Air Canada, U of Toronto, and a couple of non-profits are currently running a study at the airport where you get 3 free COVID tests - one when you arrive, one at 7 days of quarantine, and one at 14 days of quarantine (the latter two are self-administered; they send a courier for contactless pickup). If you do all 3, you get 20% off an Air Canada flight. The study goes to the end of the month, I think.

j9lad

Star Member
Nov 24, 2017
I did this last week. I'm a US citizen. I flew from Chicago-O'Hare to Toronto-Pearson and had no problems whatsoever. I pre-registered with ArriveCAN and put all my quarantine details in there. Here's what I experienced:

Before the flight, an airline representative (this was an American major carrier, not Air Canada) had all the non-residents come up and provide their documents verifying they had a permissible reason to come to Canada. She was a little confused by my (not-expired) COPR initially, but eventually found whatever it was she needed on it.

At Pearson, the process was extremely smooth. I had lots of information prepared about my quarantine, ongoing plans, etc., and none of that was requested - not even about the normal stuff like proof of funds. Here's the questions they actually asked:

* Have you been arrested or convicted of any crimes since your application was filed? (this is legally required, I think)

the last two were phrased more as small talk than "I am interrogating you" style questions; everybody was polite and even friendly throughout. (That doesn't mean you shouldn't be prepared to answer, though!) I think the use of the app probably made a difference; everyone who asked about quarantine just waved me through once I showed them the app's confirmation code.

Now, I'm in Toronto and quarantining. Be aware that public health *will* follow up to make sure you are following your quarantine plan (and have everything you need - food, medicine, etc.). They will also be friendly, but violating quarantine is against the law and you could lose your status over it, and they'll remind you of that.

Also, Air Canada, U of Toronto, and a couple of non-profits are currently running a study at the airport where you get 3 free COVID tests - one when you arrive, one at 7 days of quarantine, and one at 14 days of quarantine (the latter two are self-administered; they send a courier for contactless pickup). If you do all 3, you get 20% off an Air Canada flight. The study goes to the end of the month, I think.
Congrats on completing on your landing, @computer_leprechaun. I have a couple of questions and your thoughts would be very helpful:
  1. After your quarantine ends, do you plan on returning back to the US? Essentially, want to understand if they follow-up or disregard people who do not plan to move permanently.
  2. You mentioned the airline representative was slightly confused by your valid CoPR. Is that due to the fact that people with expired CoPRs have been flying recently? The reason I ask is, my CoPR expired a few months back, and I thought you'd need some documentation/extension to complete the landing.

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
Congrats on completing on your landing, @computer_leprechaun. I have a couple of questions and your thoughts would be very helpful:
  1. After your quarantine ends, do you plan on returning back to the US? Essentially, want to understand if they follow-up or disregard people who do not plan to move permanently.
  2. You mentioned the airline representative was slightly confused by your valid CoPR. Is that due to the fact that people with expired CoPRs have been flying recently? The reason I ask is, my CoPR expired a few months back, and I thought you'd need some documentation/extension to complete the landing.
1. I will be going back to the US in the next couple of months, yes, but long-term I am moving to and settling in Canada. I anticipate going back and forth several more times over the next few years; that would have been the case regardless of COVID. Nobody asked me about my mid or long-term plans, or said anything like "are you staying permanently or are you just coming to land and then leave?" If they had, I would have told them what I just said above. I don't know how that would have been taken, but you absolutely have to tell the truth. The worst they're likely to do, as far as I understand, is turn you away and say "come back later."

There is no follow-up I'm aware of as far as whether you're staying or not after your quarantine -- if you leave and return, they'll track your movements at the border, but it's extremely unlikely, as far as I know, that you'll be denied re-entry. Permanent residents have a right to enter. Just remember you'll have to quarantine again each time you arrive, until that regulation changes.

2. I have no idea why this was, to be honest. I think she was just not fully trained. The screening before getting on the plane is a new process due to COVID and not the normal state of affairs. The COPRs, valid or not, do have on them whatever she was looking for - probably a document or case number. If you are concerned, you can certainly call the airline ahead of time and talk with them about it. Airlines don't make immigration decisions -- I think if there had been a problem, I still ultimately would have been let on.

Hope this is helpful!

Last edited:

gabbar0101

Jun 26, 2020
1. I will be going back to the US in the next couple of months, yes, but long-term I am moving to and settling in Canada. I anticipate going back and forth several more times over the next few years; that would have been the case regardless of COVID. Nobody asked me about my mid or long-term plans, or said anything like "are you staying permanently or are you just coming to land and then leave?" If they had, I would have told them what I just said above. I don't know how that would have been taken, but you absolutely have to tell the truth. The worst they're likely to do, as far as I understand, is turn you away and say "come back later."

There is no follow-up I'm aware of as far as whether you're staying or not after your quarantine -- if you leave and return, they'll track your movements at the border, but it's extremely unlikely, as far as I know, that you'll be denied re-entry. Permanent residents have a right to enter. Just remember you'll have to quarantine again each time you arrive, until that regulation changes.

2. I have no idea why this was, to be honest. I think she was just not fully trained. The screening before getting on the plane is a new process due to COVID and not the normal state of affairs. The COPRs, valid or not, do have on them whatever she was looking for - probably a document or case number. If you are concerned, you can certainly call the airline ahead of time and talk with them about it. Airlines don't make immigration decisions -- I think if there had been a problem, I still ultimately would have been let on.

Hope this is helpful!
Thanks this is very detailed, insightful and helpful.
I am planning to travel in 2 weeks - hoping for a smooth experience.

law3r9

Sep 10, 2020

Thanks for the detailed post and the tip for pre-registering. I have some questions. Did you bring enough food to last 14 days or did you rely on online purchases while in quarantine. Not sure what types of food to bring yet so any tip or advice would be helpful. Also, are you allowed to be picked up in an uber to your quarantine destination and did you include this in your plan to show to immigration in case it was asked? Thanks

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
Thanks for the detailed post and the tip for pre-registering. I have some questions. Did you bring enough food to last 14 days or did you rely on online purchases while in quarantine. Not sure what types of food to bring yet so any tip or advice would be helpful. Also, are you allowed to be picked up in an uber to your quarantine destination and did you include this in your plan to show to immigration in case it was asked? Thanks
I didn't bring any food with me. I've successfully used Instacart, SkipTheDishes, DoorDash, etc. That's acceptable to the border patrol, as long as you have checked in your postal code and made sure such services are available. They all have good contactless delivery policies and the drivers have adhered to them. When the government followed up with me a couple of days later, they asked whether I was able to get food, etc.

Yes, you can take an Uber or Lyft. I did. They could theoretically ask about that, but they didn't. They did ask, now that I think about it, whether I was going directly to my quarantine place - the only correct answer is yes. If they say that Uber or Lyft is not acceptable, you can always rent a car right there at the airport, but it'll be expensive as you can't return it until quarantine is up.

I had an attorney prepare my plan, and we included all of the above information. He did an excellent job, but mostly he was there to give me advice and be a backup if I had problems. The border patrol didn't even ask for his info. I would give his name & firm, but I'm not sure if that's permitted here.

gabbar0101

Jun 26, 2020
Guys - I have one more question - Does Canada accepts COVID test reports from US, if it was done in past 72 hours of arrival. I am asking because I heard some other countries allow that. I didn't find anything about this on Canada.Gov - so asking if anyone knows?

Also, is the test done at airport is the on where they take sample from nose or saliva?

computer_leprechaun

Sep 9, 2020
Guys - I have one more question - Does Canada accepts COVID test reports from US, if it was done in past 72 hours of arrival. I am asking because I heard some other countries allow that. I didn't find anything about this on Canada.Gov - so asking if anyone knows?

Also, is the test done at airport is the on where they take sample from nose or saliva?
For the moment, you must quarantine no matter what - whether you have a negative test, from within Canada or without, does not matter.

The test I received at the airport is part of a study that I think only runs through the end of the month. It's both saliva and nostril - they teach you how to self-administer by swabbing your tongue, both cheeks, and both nostrils.

Personally, I got tested in the States (I'm fortunate to be from an area which has free & fast public testing options) and got my negative result back before traveling. I have tested negative twice more since arriving - but I still am finishing out my quarantine.

I think getting tested beforehand is the responsible thing to do - needless to say, if you test positive, do not travel no matter what.