+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Citizenship and Spousal Sponsorship Help

jaime_dylan

Jun 24, 2020
Hey all,

I am currently an American citizen in the process of getting my Canadian citizenship by descent. I have applied to nursing schools and will begin the 31st of August or 21st of September. My boyfriend is a British citizen from Scotland. We have been together for 4 years and I am currently in Scotland with him. We have flown back and forth from our homes to be together and have not been apart at all for about 15/16 months. However, I need to leave Scotland the end of July and we are pretty sure he will not be able to come with. I am concerned because I wont be receiving my citizenship for a few months and he will need to stay. When I do get my citizenship our plan was for him to come with me and I would sponsor him while he is with me in Canada.

He already has a valid eTA which he has used once during a 4 day visit to Vancouver. Is this eTA still valid or would he need to apply for a new one?
Is it best for me to sponsor him under common law inside Canada or is it easier for us to get married and do this? If we do get married it may be in Canada and was wondering if this would look suspicious or since we have been together for a long time would it be okay?
If I sponsor under common law would the potential time apart affect us or does us being together previously for longer than 12 months count?

For my citizenship I am waiting for an acceptance letter to be able to get the citizenship expedited. If I do not get this in time for beginning nursing schools what is my best option for getting to Canada in time?

Thank you in advance for helping.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Rather than ask in a public forum, shouldn't you just check your notification if your eTa is still valid?

jaime_dylan

Jun 24, 2020
Rather than ask in a public forum, shouldn't you just check your notification if your eTa is still valid?
His eTA is still valid. We have concerns about other things as well. Such as the time apart affecting us and getting to Canada for school

thevisawhisperer

Champion Member
Jun 10, 2020
West Coast
If you've met the criterion for common-law then time apart is not a deal breaker, as long as you demonstrate that your relationship continues - communications, visits, etc.
"If we do get married it may be in Canada and was wondering if this would look suspicious or since we have been together for a long time would it be okay?"
Likely not 'suspicious' after 4+ years in a common-law relationship.