+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada Child Care Benefit

NRanjani

Nov 10, 2022
Hi, my son is a Canadian. We did not meet our residency obligation, hence we no longer hold our PR. We did appeal up to Federal Court but our appeal was dismissed. Since this is our situation, I am just wondering , do I still declare my income to IRA in order for my son to be eiligble for CCB.

If both parents are no longer holds valid a PR, does a Canadian child still entitled for CCB. Please advise

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hi, my son is a Canadian. We did not meet our residency obligation, hence we no longer hold our PR. We did appeal up to Federal Court but our appeal was dismissed. Since this is our situation, I am just wondering , do I still declare my income to IRA in order for my son to be eiligble for CCB.

If both parents are no longer holds valid a PR, does a Canadian child still entitled for CCB. Please advise
Having a Canadian child doesn’t allow you to access benefits. Assume you are living in Canada and talking about the CRS (IRA is American). What is your status now. Here is the link. You need to show:
  • a temporary resident who has lived in Canada for the previous 18 months, and who has a valid permit in the 19th month other than one that states "does not confer status" or "does not confer temporary resident status"

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview/canada-child-benefit-before-you-apply.html#who

NRanjani

Nov 10, 2022
Both my husband and myself are PR of Canada and we have been declaring to CRA eversince we came back to our home country. As my son is a Canadian and he is only 7 years old , I wonder how will be eligible to get his CCB.
Do I still need to declare my income to CRA eventhough I do not hold a valid PR in order for my son to get his CCB. Please advise

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Both my husband and myself are PR of Canada and we have been declaring to CRA eversince we came back to our home country. As my son is a Canadian and he is only 7 years old , I wonder how will be eligible to get his CCB.
Do I still need to declare my income to CRA eventhough I do not hold a valid PR in order for my son to get his CCB. Please advise
A Canadian child doesn’t get automatic benefits as it is for the parents not the child. You need to hold valid PR and file taxes with CRA. If you have been receiving payments when you should not have since you don’t live in Canada, then you may be asked to repay the money.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You have to be living in Canada so your son does not qualify for CCB.

No, you should not be filing tax returns with CRA at this point.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you informed CRA that you are not living in Canada? Have you been filing taxes as non-residents (not required to do)? You were required to inform CRA when you left Canada. How long have you been out of Canada? If you have been receiving CCB while your family has been out of Canada you have been receiving it incorrectly and will be required to repay the government. That would be quite a lot of money. It looks like you may have been out of Canada for at least 4 years so that could mean 20k+ It is very surprising that CRA has been paying CCB all this time if you and your spouse have not been working in Canada. They should have contacted you to verify where you and your child are living a long time ago. CCB is to help subsidize the high cost of raising a child in Canada. Once the child is not living in Canada you are not supposed to be receiving CCB (there are rare exceptions but you do not appear to meet these). Not sure if I should be more shocked by how incompetent CRA is or that someone expects CCB when living out of Canada for years.

Last edited:
Reactions: Taran D