+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Canada and US immigration

f22raptor

Mar 4, 2014
Hi. I'm a permanent resident in the US and I have a green card.
I was trying to search but some people said yes and some people said no and they only share criminal records and entry/exit information.
I'm confused. Thanks.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Re: Do Canada and the US share immigration information on ordinary people?

f22raptor said:
Do Canada and the US share the immigration information on their ordinary (not dangerous) citizens and permanent residents?

If I get a US passport and change my name to an English name when I become a US citizen, can the Canadian guys know that I was the same person and harass me again if I travel to Canada again?

I was trying to search but some people said yes and some people said no and they only share criminal records and entry/exit information.
Simple answer is yes, US and Canada share info.
There was an article in the paper a few months ago about US immigration refusing a Canadian traveler entry to USA, due to her medical history. So obviously Canada shares things like private medical records or US has access to them, so expect any info can be shared other than just criminal and immigration data.

bearcold

Mar 1, 2013

Rob_TO said:
Simple answer is yes, US and Canada share info.
There was an article in the paper a few months ago about US immigration refusing a Canadian traveler entry to USA, due to her medical history. So obviously Canada shares things like private medical records or US has access to them, so expect any info can be shared other than just criminal and immigration data.
state.gov/r/pa/prs/ps/2012/12/202065.htm

U.S.-Canada Visa and Immigration Information-Sharing Agreement

Media Note
Office of the Spokesperson
Washington, DC
December 14, 2012
Share on facebookShare on twitterShare
U.S. Ambassador to Canada David Jacobson and the Canadian Minister of Citizenship, Immigration and Multiculturalism Jason Kenney signed a U.S.-Canada Visa and Immigration Information-Sharing Agreement on December 13, 2012.

This agreement will enable Canada and the United States to share information from third country nationals who apply for a visa or permit to travel to either country. This will better protect the safety and security of Americans and Canadians and facilitate legitimate travel and business. Increased information sharing will support better decision-making by both countries to confirm applicants' identities, and identify risks and inadmissible persons at the earliest opportunity. It will increase safety and security, as both countries work to identify terrorists, violent criminals, and others who pose a risk before they reach our borders. All officers working on immigration and refugee protection will be equipped with more information to make decisions. This will better protect the safety and security of Americans and Canadians alike and further facilitate legitimate travel.

The agreement authorizes development of arrangements under which the United States may send an automated request for data to Canada, such as when a third country national applies to the United States for a visa or claims asylum. Such a request would contain limited information, such as name and date of birth in the case of biographic sharing, or an anonymous fingerprint in the case of biometric sharing. If the identity matches that of a previous application, immigration information may be shared, such as whether the person has previously been refused a visa or removed from the other country. The same process would apply in reverse when a third country national applies to Canada for a visa or claims asylum. Biographic immigration information sharing is set to begin in 2013, and biometric sharing in 2014.

Under the agreement, information will not be shared regarding U.S. or Canadian citizens or permanent residents.
Any information shared on travellers and asylum seekers will be handled responsibly and, as with other information sharing agreements, exchanged in accordance with relevant U.S. and Canadian laws.

No they don't share US or Canadian citizens' immigration information. A medical history is not immigration information so it is an exemption from this treaty.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

bearcold said:
No they don't share US or Canadian citizens' immigration information. A medical history is not immigration information so it is an exemption from this treaty.
I don't think this is really what the OP is asking though. He is asking if Canada will continue to have his records of previous entries into Canada after he gets USA citizenship. And that answer to that is undoubtedly "yes".

Canada knows of previous attempts to enter Canada whether your status at time of entry was a visitor in US, US PR, or US citizen. So next time he enters as US citizen, CBSA will be aware of previous entries as a US PR. There is no sharing involved here, it's just Canada's records in question.

bearcold

Mar 1, 2013

Rob_TO said:
I don't think this is really what the OP is asking though. He is asking if Canada will continue to have his records of previous entries into Canada after he gets USA citizenship. And that answer to that is undoubtedly "yes".

Canada knows of previous attempts to enter Canada whether your status at time of entry was a visitor in US, US PR, or US citizen. So next time he enters as US citizen, CBSA will be aware of previous entries as a US PR. There is no sharing involved here, it's just Canada's records in question.
No. Read it again. He said it is when he CHANGES his name after he becomes a US citizen. Yes, they will know if you have the same DOB and name but no, they won't know if you change your name and hold a US passport because they can't access to the information that he became a US citizen and changed his name after he became a US citizen. You are basically a new person unless you have disclosed the information to the Canadian officials or you are wanted by law enforcement agencies.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

bearcold said:
No. Read it again. He said it is when he CHANGES his name after he becomes a US citizen. Yes, they will know if you have the same DOB and name but no, they won't know if you change your name and hold a US passport because they can't access to the information that he became a US citizen and changed his name after he became a US citizen. You are basically a new person unless you have disclosed the information to the Canadian officials or you are wanted by law enforcement agencies.
Ah yes, I missed the part about changing his name.

Though OP can expect to get a very common question at the border, and that is "have you ever visited Canada before?". If he doesn't want them to know of past entries, he would need to flat out lie to them. Else if he said yes, i'm sure CBSA would just request he tells them his name at previous entries before they let him enter.