+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can You Work After Your Program But Before Letter of Completion?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Right. Makes sense.

I wonder why there is so little information about on campus work after completion of studies and PGWP? Could it be because once you finish your program and are not a student anymore, there is no such a thing as "on campus"?
Could be.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I think so, yes, but IRCC is not clear in that regard.

For example, rules about working while waiting for PGWP:

https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1181&top=15

They don't say if you can work on campus or of campus; just that you need to be eligible to work off-campus without a permit. Which makes sense, because there is no "on campus" location for you anymore.

This might be important for students who were allowed to work on campus but not off campus according to the rules of their study permits, as it seem they wouldn't be able to continue working before receiving PGWP.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Hi everyone, I just found this. What can I do if my letter of completion states October 16 but I did not receive any written confirmation until November 2? It's a thesis program, and I am worried that I did something wrong. I stopped working yesterday when I received the written confirmation (part time off campus) since this is the information I have been reading everywhere, but someone at the university said it was illegal because I submitted my thesis on 10/16? Thank you!

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
What is the official end of your studies? (The last requirement). The defense, thesis submission...? You are not allowed to work after you have completed your studies, but did you know you have completed them on October 16? This was a concern for us, too, so my wife asked the administration if they could give her a letter on the same day she submitted her thesis. Luckily, it was possible, but they also claimed students never had an issue with PGWP even if notification came a few days later. What does it say on your letter? If it doesn't say October 16 is the last day of your studies, then it might be fine.

In any case, I would explain this in my PGWP application. If it takes time for them to accept the thesis and issue a notice of completion, then there is no way for you to know when exactly was your last day of work. Technically, it should be the date on the letter of completion.

However, also keep in mind that the rules I know mainly refer to on-campus work. I am not sure if there are any differences about working off-campus.

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
What is the official end of your studies? (The last requirement). The defense, thesis submission...? You are not allowed to work after you have completed your studies, but did you know you have completed them on October 16? This was a concern for us, too, so my wife asked the administration if they could give her a letter on the same day she submitted her thesis. Luckily, it was possible, but they also claimed students never had an issue with PGWP even if notification came a few days later. What does it say on your letter? If it doesn't say October 16 is the last day of your studies, then it might be fine.

In any case, I would explain this in my PGWP application. If it takes time for them to accept the thesis and issue a notice of completion, then there is no way for you to know when exactly was your last day of work. Technically, it should be the date on the letter of completion.

However, also keep in mind that the rules I know mainly refer to on-campus work. I am not sure if there are any differences about working off-campus.

Thank you so much for your response! I have never seen it as the end of my degree/last requirement, but I assume it would be the submission of my final thesis. I always based my thinking on this:

Applicants must apply for a post-graduation work permit (PGWP) within 180 days of obtaining written confirmation, such as an official letter or transcript, from the designated learning institution (DLI) indicating that they have met the requirements for completing their program of study.”

and this

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have completed the final academic requirements for their program of study but have not yet received written confirmation of program completion from their institution (for instance, a transcript, an official letter or an email)

They may work until the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their educational institution (for instance, an email, a letter, a transcript or a diploma), provided their study permit remains valid during this period.”

According to these two, it doesn't matter what the last thing of my degree requirements are, it depends when I receive WRITTEN confirmation that I COMPLETED those requirements... And in my case, that was this Monday... But with a date of October 16 ;/

And I agree, it should be the date that the letter is issued. If undergrad students finish their finals, they have to stop working when they receive written confirmation that they are done, and not on the day of their last final?

Anna828

Feb 21, 2018
Never mind, my faculty updated my documents :) But this is still an interesting question for graduate students. One advisor said I worked illegalyl and should therefore check off "yes" when asked whether I have ever done any unauthorized work. However, based on the content that I posted, I did not. Just in case anyone in the future finds this thread. I find it hard to understand that this is not more common.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
I am actually not sure about undergrads. But doesn't your letter have a date when it's issued?

Oh, now I see your updated response. I do think it'll be fine. In my experience (well, my wife's), international advisors don't always know all the rules, as strange as that sounds. We've learned more relevant information on this forum than from any university advisors.

I am sorry if my responses created a confusion with you; I admit my wife's case was a bit specific (working full time on campus during studies, and continuing to work on campus after defending her thesis), and I believe cases of working off-campus are less complicated.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hi just followed this topic - So probably the final question is still remaining.

Can graduate students continue working full-time ON CAMPUS (assuming their study permits granted this) until they receive final completion letter (or transcripts, whichever comes sooner)?

@SatNight
Yes provided completion letter is dated on the day it was issued and not the last day you fullfilied all the requirement.

Reactions: jaymorgan_iud

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
We were told that it is OK, but you might want to write a letter of explanation not to confuse them. Although we asked for a letter of completion on the same day, to avoid this issue. However, they told us that others did not have a problem even if they didn't get it the same day. But please don't take my word as a rule; I might be mistaken.

Reactions: jaymorgan_iud

sam.devilz19

Nov 7, 2017
St. John's, NL, Canada
We were told that it is OK, but you might want to write a letter of explanation not to confuse them. Although we asked for a letter of completion on the same day, to avoid this issue. However, they told us that others did not have a problem even if they didn't get it the same day. But please don't take my word as a rule; I might be mistaken.
Hi there, I'm also in a similar situation. I'm into a thesis based program, and my plan is to apply on the day I received program completion. Were you guys able to get approved for PGWP?

I was wondering if she could've just applied for leave at work upon receiving program completion letter and started back upon applying for PGWP?