+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can You Work After Your Program But Before Letter of Completion?

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Hello,

My wife works full time on her university and she defended her PhD thesis yesterday. We are now waiting for the letter of completion so she can apply for PGWP:

- Is it correct that she can continue working until she gets her letter of completion (since she is considered a full time student still), and then she needs to apply for PGWP the same day? (To be able to continue working).

- What date will be on the letter of completion? - It should be the date when it's issued, not a date earlier than that? Because she needs to apply for PGWP on the same day.

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
Hello,

My wife works full time on her university and she defended her PhD thesis yesterday. We are now waiting for the letter of completion so she can apply for PGWP:

- Is it correct that she can continue working until she gets her letter of completion (since she is considered a full time student still), and then she needs to apply for PGWP the same day? (To be able to continue working).

- What date will be on the letter of completion? - It should be the date when it's issued, not a date earlier than that? Because she needs to apply for PGWP on the same day.
she cannot work full time until she did not applied for pgwp . She should stop working even part time next day when she received official confirmation letter of completion of study. Statements on IRCC website 'They may work until the first date they receive written confirmation of program completion from their educational institution (for instance, an email, a letter, a transcript or a diploma), provided their study permit remains valid during this period.''
Once a student receives written confirmation of program completion from their institution, they are no longer authorized to continue to work in Canada, as they no longer meet the eligibility criteria in paragraph R186(v). They should apply to change their status
Here is link https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/campus-work.html

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
She can work full time ON CAMPUS. Her job is on campus.

I mean for the time she's a full time student.

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
She can work full time ON CAMPUS. Her job is on campus.

I mean for the time she's a full time student.
Full-time post-secondary students may work without a work permit on the campus of the university or college at which they are a full-time student [R186(f)]. This authorization is valid for the period for which they hold a study permit at the institution and during which they are enrolled in full-time studies. https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/temporary-residents/study-permits/working-on-campus.html

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Yes, so our question is: when does she stop being a full time student officially? With the letter of completion?

It cannot be defense date (or date of a final exam) until they give some sort of confirmation letter to you?

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
I think you are good if you are applying for pgwp on the same day when you will receive official confirmation of completion .The completion date usually uploaded on college website page or you can talk to international education department to know about this date.

Reactions: SatNight

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Thank you, @Nav_deep. We will do that.

Yes, we assumed that official confirmation of completion date is that counts, and not the defense, because she is still considered a full time student according to their records, which records will show.

There is no "official completion" date for her case that is posted online on a website, because those were doctoral studies and you can defend your thesis any time. Everybody has a different completion date.

I also have a question about proving a NOC, do you think I should open a new thread about it or ask it here?

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
Yes, so our question is: when does she stop being a full time student officially? With the letter of completion?

It cannot be defense date (or date of a final exam) until they give some sort of confirmation letter to you?
usually for most of colleges , written completion letter and transcripts are considered as official confirmation of study completion.So when she received that she need to stop working.The date on letter is usually different from the date of final exam.

Reactions: SatNight

Nav_deep

Star Member
Jan 10, 2020
Thank you, @Nav_deep. We will do that.

Yes, we assumed that official confirmation of completion date is that counts, and not the defense, because she is still considered a full time student according to their records, which records will show.

There is no "official completion" date for her case that is posted online on a website, because those were doctoral studies and you can defend your thesis any time. Everybody has a different completion date.

I also have a question about proving a NOC, do you think I should open a new thread about it or ask it here?
ya you can ask here.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Ok, so I want to apply for SOWP at the time she applies for PGWP. As we understand, we need her last 3 payslips and a job contract. However, it should also be clear that she works as a skilled worker. My wife's NOC is A (university lecturer), but this is not stated on her job contract. The contract just lists her salary and the fact that she teaches certain courses. Would this make it clear for CIC that she works in a NOC A job, or do we need something else? Like her employer writing a letter specifying this is NOC A? And how do they do that (do we just ask: we need NOC stated for immigration) and they will know?

Also, my wife's job is not permanent. It is on a contract basis. This doesn't prevent me from getting a SOWP, right?

And finally: I already have a SOWP that is not expiring until the end of this year, but is it ok to apply for extension now?

Thank you in advance.

babsizkil

Dec 18, 2016
Hello,

She can continue to work part time (up to 20 hours a week) during a regular academic session and full time during regularly scheduled breaks between academic sessions until she received a written confirmation of program completion from her current institution (for instance, a transcript or an official letter).

It's not necessary to apply for PGWP same day, however, she must hold valid temporary status i.e valid study permit or held one within 180 days of applying. She won't be able to work until she got another authorization to work i.e PGWP or other work permit except if she has/will be starting a new program of study and applying to change her condition within 150 days of completion or extend her stay or remain in Canada as a student before her current study permit expired, or she still have a valid study permit.

Of course, the date on the letter of completion will be that day the institution finalize her grade or send her the notification.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
Hello,

I agree with your answer, @babsizkil, but there are some specific exceptions that grad students or students working need to know of, so I'm adding them:

She HAS TO apply on the same day for PGWP if she wants to continue working. People generally have 180 days to apply, but they cannot work until they apply for PGWP.

Also, part time requirements are only for off-campus work. Hours on campus are not limited. A student can work full time on campus.

Finally, there are NO regularly scheduled breaks for graduate students. You cannot work full time off campus over the summer if you are a graduate student. You might be on a summer break, as in, not taking classes, but you are considered full time. This is important for grad students to remember.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello,

I agree with your answer, @babsizkil, but there are some specific exceptions that grad students or students working need to know of, so I'm adding them:

She HAS TO apply on the same day for PGWP if she wants to continue working. People generally have 180 days to apply, but they cannot work until they apply for PGWP.

Also, part time requirements are only for off-campus work. Hours on campus are not limited. A student can work full time on campus.

Finally, there are NO regularly scheduled breaks for graduate students. You cannot work full time off campus over the summer if you are a graduate student. You might be on a summer break, as in, not taking classes, but you are considered full time. This is important for grad students to remember.
She has defended her thesis, which means that she has completed the final academic requirements of her program and is therefore no longer a full-time student. She is not allowed to work on campus.

SatNight

Dec 2, 2017
She is officially a full time student until she complets her program. Undergrad students often wait after their exams to receive letter of completion. How can someone apply for PGWP if they don't have documents that they have completed their program?