+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you travel outside Canada after applying for BOWP ?

ak0023

Apr 7, 2016
Hello There,
I have 2 questions.
1) I want to apply for BOWP. I have applied for EE under CEC in Feb. My visa expires in June 2016. But, I would have to travel to my country in April. Should I apply for BOWP before I leave for my country or after I come back from my country which is 1st week of May? Because, it takes 3 months to process I am not sure if I will get PR or BOWP in time. I Really need your expertise in this regard. Asking because I know you need to be in the country but because of the timing of my travel outside canada, I am tensed. Your help is much appreciated.
2) My work place HR has started asking me if i have applied for BOWP. Please let me know in case I do not get my PR in time ie before my visa expires in june how do I continue working under implied status as my SIN would also exipire. SO, I am confused about working under implied status. Please help clarify. Please help.
Thanks in advance.

clayera

Star Member
Jan 8, 2016
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
EE Inland
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
08-22-2017
LANDED..........
05/2018
Not an expert by any means, but you can apply for BOWP after your trip, under the assumption that you would come back to Canada before the permit expires so that you can work under implied status while the BOWP is approved.

You can continue working under implied status with your expired SIN, and is perfectly legal.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=189&top=17:

"Yes, if you applied for a work permit extension before your work permit expired, you can keep working until a decision is made on your application.

You must stay in Canada and meet the conditions of your original work permit. For instance, if you have an employer-specific work permit, you must still work for the employer named on that permit.

CIC does not provide confirmation that you have implied status in Canada. However, you should keep proof that you submitted the application before your work permit expired. This includes copies of the application, the fee receipt, and something that confirms the date it was sent and delivered."
Im less sure about the expired SIN but apparently, you just need to renew it as soon as you get the new papers.

from http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/ei/employers_sin.page:
"If a temporary resident applies for renewal of their work or study permit and their permit expires before a decision is made, paragraph 186(u) and section 189 of the Immigration and Refugee Protection Regulation provides them the right to continue working or studying under the same conditions, while their application for renewal is being processed, as long as they remain in Canada. This is referred as "implied status". The temporary foreign worker will have implied status until a decision is rendered by CIC.
As soon as a decision is made by CIC authorizing the employee to continue to work in Canada, you must verify the new immigration document and the expiry date. You should advise the employee to apply with his or her new immigration document to Service Canada for the SIN record to be updated with the new expiry date."

lazycrazyboon

Star Member
Apr 27, 2016
Hi, from your experience last year, Did you travel after or before applying for BOWP? I am also in the same situation ..can you please advise?
Hey..sorry I finally did not end up applying for BOWP. My PR came through before I had to travel.