+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you still enter Canada with a PermRes app In process?

4maple-1eagle

Feb 24, 2011
I hear the family sponsorship route takes 6-12 mo to get perm residency? I am a US citizen and my wife is the Canadian citizen sponsor. If I submit that now, but need to arrive in June, will i have any problem getting in, even though the application is still in processs, if this is the route I take ?

wilson

VIP Member
Oct 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes you can still enter Canada. Before getting the PR visa you have to go back to US and enter via any port of entry to register your landing for further processing of PR and issuance of PR Card.

medellinguy

Jul 20, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bogota
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-10-2010
Doc's Request.
Everything in order I guess
AOR Received.
07-04-2011
File Transfer...
03-12-2010
Med's Done....
15-09-2010
Passport Req..
07-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
01-08-2011
LANDED..........
07-09-2011
they might not let you in at the border...you need to still show them strong ties with the US (employment letter, renting contract etc...) so the officer will think you will go back to the USA even though your application is being processed...until you have PR, you need to show your ties to your home country.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
4maple-1eagle said:
I hear the family sponsorship route takes 6-12 mo to get perm residency? I am a US citizen and my wife is the Canadian citizen sponsor. If I submit that now, but need to arrive in June, will i have any problem getting in, even though the application is still in processs, if this is the route I take ?
If the application is in process visa exempt visitors don't usually have problems entering.
But as always, immigration never guarantees that a visitor can enter.
When attempting to enter, carry copies of all the PR documentation with you, and be nice :)

TracyS

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
AOR Received.
11-04-2011
File Transfer...
28-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011
LANDED..........
10-09-2011
Oh! This has made my heart lurch! I've just submitted my application for permanent residence. We're leaving tomorrow night for a 3 week holiday in Canada, a trip that was booked way before the application was sent in. Do I need to take a copy of my application as mentioned by Baloo? We have a return ticket booked, there is no intention of staying in Canada, it's just a holiday to see the family.

asurania

Star Member
Feb 2, 2011
Calgary, Alberta
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-29-2010 (Lost) Resubmitted 16-02-2011
Doc's Request.
16-03-2011
AOR Received.
28-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-02-2011
Med's Done....
November 2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
10-03-2011
VISA ISSUED...
20-05-2011
LANDED..........
26-07-2011
TracyS said:
Oh! This has made my heart lurch! I've just submitted my application for permanent residence. We're leaving tomorrow night for a 3 week holiday in Canada, a trip that was booked way before the application was sent in. Do I need to take a copy of my application as mentioned by Baloo? We have a return ticket booked, there is no intention of staying in Canada, it's just a holiday to see the family.
I would take your receipt of payment , letter of employment, land title/rental agreement/mortgage statement or something to show that you will go back

j2m

Star Member
Sep 15, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
BUFFALO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
OCT 14 2009
Doc's Request.
JAN 10 2010
AOR Received.
NOV 18 2009
File Transfer...
NOV 11 2009
Med's Request
NOV 20 2009
Med's Done....
OCT 30 2009
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
FEB 16 2011
VISA ISSUED...
FEB 17, 2011
LANDED..........
FEB 17, 2011
TracyS said:
If you have copies of the application you have submitted and payment of fees receipts it will make life a whole lot easier. You may breeze through with no questions, but IF you do get questioned your application will be extremely helpful. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Just be prepared, that's how I always handled it. As soon as I laid my HUGE file on the desk, the IO realized that I came prepared and always let me right through, after reading through my paperwork and verifying that I had, in fact, submitted my application.

Bangkokcanuck

May 2, 2010
Bangkapi, Thailand
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-02-2011
File Transfer...
17-03-2011
Med's Done....
07-12-2010
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
VISA ISSUED...
08-08-2011
LANDED..........
03-11-2011
I can tell you from my personal experience my wife had previously asked for and received two visitors visa's to Canada. We were talking about going again this summer for a few weeks to look at home in BC, assuming all would be easy with the RP application. When we went to the Embassy in Bangkok the woman we spoke to said the chances of her getting a Visitor's visa this time were somewhere between slim and none.

The whole process of getting the Visa's before involved us proving we had strong ties to Thailand, home, car, business, family etc and we would be returning for sure. But with a RP application in process they would not be inclined to risk letting her go. I realize that is not going to be the case for residents of every country but it is sure seems to be from Thailand.

Baloo

VIP Member
Nov 30, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Bangkokcanuck said:
The whole process of getting the Visa's before involved us proving we had strong ties to Thailand, home, car, business, family etc and we would be returning for sure. But with a RP application in process they would not be inclined to risk letting her go. I realize that is not going to be the case for residents of every country but it is sure seems to be from Thailand.
It appears that when a spouse who is not from a visa exempt country, is outside of Canada and there is a PR application active, very few will be granted a TRV to visit Canada.
IO's seem to believe that the visiting spouse will overstay.