+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you stay in Canada while waiting for school to start?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
My sister is in Canada since January as an international student but she hasn’t started school yet and she will start school only in September. What can she do while waiting for school to start and what kind of problem can she have in this situation????
How did she enter Canada? On a tourist visa?

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No she entered on a study permit but changed the school she was to attend in January and her new admission is in September
And she informed IRCC that she has transferred to a new school along with the new start date? This process - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools/account.html

If she has done that, then she is allowed a maximum of 150 days of authorized absence. Jan to Sep is more than 150 days so I believe she will need a new study permit.

Angel1796

May 29, 2019
And she informed IRCC that she has transferred to a new school along with the new start date? This process - https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/change-schools/account.html

If she has done that, then she is allowed a maximum of 150 days of authorized absence. Jan to Sep is more than 150 days so I believe she will need a new study permit.
No she did not inform the government about it. And it’s already May so what is she going to do now?? Will there be any problem for her??

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
No she did not inform the government about it. And it’s already May so what is she going to do now?? Will there be any problem for her??

Yes, this is an issue. She has not met the conditions of her study permit and is currently out of status in Canada.

I don’t think she can apply for restoration either since she’s been out of status for more than 90 days. She probably needs to leave Canada and apply for a new study permit from her home country.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Did she withdraw her registration for the January program? If not the school reports you as a no show and your vpermit gets cancelled. Likely her student permit hasn’t be cancelled if she registered for the September program but she should have reported her change of school online. She can double check by calling IRCC. She can’t do much in Canada until she starts school. No work of any form until the day her classes start.