+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you stay in Canada while waiting for school to start?

phuocpeter19

May 3, 2018
Category........
WP
I have a friend who finished highschool in Ontario this January. She has an university offer and already extended her study permit to 2022. Her program will start this September. So for this period from now to September, is she allowed to remain in Canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Yes but he can't work. If she leaves the country anticipate that she will be questioned about having enough funds to stay in Canada and what is she doing for all that time.

Reactions: phuocpeter19

phuocpeter19

May 3, 2018
Category........
WP
Yes but he can't work. If she leaves the country anticipate that she will be questioned about having enough funds to stay in Canada and what is she doing for all that time.
Thank you for your reply!
So if she leaves the country by now and then return to start her university in Sep, will she still be questioned?
Also the reason I post this is because I heard some people said that you cannot stay in Canada without studying for more than 90 days, though I cannot find anything related to that on CIC website. Do you have any information about this?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If you are supposed to be attending a course and you do not attend the school will report you within 90 days. Given that a student can't work before school starts CBSA will want to know why the person is in Canada so early and whether they have the funds to support themselves. Most students have not attended high school in Canada. It is a long time to do nothing so CBSA will be worried that people intend to work illegally.

phuocpeter19

May 3, 2018
Category........
WP
If you are supposed to be attending a course and you do not attend the school will report you within 90 days. Given that a student can't work before school starts CBSA will want to know why the person is in Canada so early and whether they have the funds to support themselves. Most students have not attended high school in Canada. It is a long time to do nothing so CBSA will be worried that people intend to work illegally.
Thank you! That’s really clear things up!
So her best option now is to renew her visa and leave the country for a few months?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You said she had already extended her visa. Is that the case? There is no need to leave the country. As explained if she leaves and reenters she may run into some concern about what she has been doing since January and how she is supporting herself. If she has not extended her visa when did her previous visa expire and has she changed her status to visitor?

phuocpeter19

May 3, 2018
Category........
WP
You said she had already extended her visa. Is that the case? There is no need to leave the country. As explained if she leaves and reenters she may run into some concern about what she has been doing since January and how she is supporting herself. If she has not extended her visa when did her previous visa expire and has she changed her status to visitor?
She has extended her study permit but not her visa. Her visa expired 2 days ago. Then will that affect her status as a student?

Biniijoseph

May 5, 2018
My friend got study permit but her class starts only September. Will she able to get SIN number? ? If she gets can she work any province?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
My friend got study permit but her class starts only September. Will she able to get SIN number? ? If she gets can she work any province?
She can't work until classes start in September. Yes she can work in any province but must be a full-time student. She will get a temporary SIN.

Biniijoseph

May 5, 2018
Iam international student I am going to canada 3 months before my class starts. Will it make any future problem for PR.Looking Ford suggestion.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Iam international student I am going to canada 3 months before my class starts. Will it make any future problem for PR.Looking Ford suggestion.
No problem for future PR application but arriving so early you will likely be asked by CBSA how you will support yourself given you cannot work at all until your classes start. Usually recommended to not arrive until earliest 4-6 weeks maximum before classes.

Ryza29

May 21, 2018
My class will start this september 2018 and I am planning to depart my country going to SK,Canada this June. And i will be staying at my Uncle House while waiting my class to start. Am I still allowed to enter Canada if the officer will asked me why I arrive to Canada before my class start?? Please help. Thank you

Angel1796

May 29, 2019
My sister is in Canada since January as an international student but she hasn’t started school yet and she will start school only in September. What can she do while waiting for school to start and what kind of problem can she have in this situation????