+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you not enter Canada with expired PR Card on Passport status/merit?

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
out of interest, say one is a UK citizen and has an expired PR card and comes back to Canada - what happens if you didn't obtain a travel document prior to arriving to Canada? I ask because if you are a citizen of a common wealth, you can normally stay in Canada for up to 6 months visa-free - but does this priviege get taken away because you have obtained a higher level status in Canada (i.e. PR status)?

also, does it help at the airport border to explain to the officers that you are currently in the process of renewing your pR card and also waiting for your citizenship oath invite?

edit: also, does your PR card have to be valid for a certain period of time (i.e. 6 months) in order to come back to Canada? Or can you enter canada tomorrow with your valid PR card expiring in one month's time?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
1. The PRTD is only really for non visitor visa exempt passport holding PRs who do not have a valid PR Card e.g India. The airline won't board such a non visitor visa exempt passenger to avoid a fine if CBSA bounce the passenger. CBSA will not bounce PRs but the airline has no other way of knowing the passenger is a PR. Your UK passport is visitor visa exempt so the airline will assume you are just a tourist and board you. Some airlines insist on you having a return ticket again in case CBSA bounce you at the border which they won't but airline doesn't know that. If airline insists then most PRs purchase a fully refundable round trip ticket and cash the return leg once in Canada.

2. When you show up at the border tell CBSA your PR Card is under renewal and your citizenship application is in progress. Have your expired PR Card to hand to. Any PR showing up at the border (land, sea, air) just has to have their PR status verified and they will be admitted as per right in accordance with the IRPA.

3. You need to meet the RO until you oath regardless of having a PR Card or not. Not meeting the RO can lead to a report for inadmissibility = citizenship process stopped while PR issue resolved. If report accepted by the courts then no PR = no citizenship.

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
thank you for the detailed response - so I guess I can travel back to Canada even if my PR card is on the verge of expiring.

But, if it DOES expire (i.e. expires today), do I 100% need to get a travel document? it clearly says on CIC website that I need to... would going to the airport and explaining my situtation as you mentioned be safe? I would rather not take that risk adn they say no we won't let you in because your PR is expried and you never got a travel document?

my worry is that my PR card will be ready for pickup when my PR card is expired and I will have to rush to get a travel document and might miss the collection date in Canada (i am living abroad with canadian spouse at the moment)...

thanks!

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes I am sure you don't need a PRTD regardless of what the CIC website states - your UK Passport gets you on the plane and your PR status guarantees your admission at the border....this is as per the IRPA which trumps any CIC website statements on PRTDs. If you would rather spend 50 bucks on the PRTD fee and the added costs/hassle of going to the VAC plus a 10 day processing timeline sure thing but why bother if you don't have to?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When you book and board your flight, simply do not tell the airline that you are a PR. With a UK passport, they will let you fly. Once you arrive in Canada and want to go through immigration, say that you are a PR and show your expired card. Canada immigration must let you enter if they have reason to believe that you are a PR. If they do not believe that you meet the RO, they can report you for it but they still have to let you enter.

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
Thank you both! So if you were in my shoes you wouldn't bother getting a travel document then eh... That is surprising news for the better. I wad worried because PR renewals are taking almost 6 months and my card will definitely be expired by the time the new one comes and I am abroad with spouse.

I still feel paranoid! But as long as I can get by immigration then I can get my new PR card and not have to worry again! I can bring my notice of assessments as well showing my residence proof over last 5 years as well. And my candian spouse would be with me at the airport as well!

Do you know if there is a time limit as to when you have to pick your card up? I hear they don't mail it to your home anymore is that true?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Tjam3 said:
Do you know if there is a time limit as to when you have to pick your card up? I hear they don't mail it to your home anymore is that true?
They always mailed your first ever PR card to your house but renewals you had to pick up in person until recently, they started to mail at least some of the renewals out as well. Nobody can tell you whether yours will be mailed or if you will be asked to pick it up. If they send a letter requesting you to pick it up, they tend to give you an appointment. If you can't make the appointment, you can call CIC and make a new one but you must pick up your card within 6 months of them first asking you, otherwise they will consider your renewed card abandoned and send it back to CIC headquarters and destroy it and you would have to apply to renew again.

Tjam3

Feb 10, 2013
Thanks Leon - I would plan to go as soon as my parents get the letter from CIC, but for whatever reason I can't make the appointment I can't call the CIC from abroad! So annoying ...

navasek

Nov 27, 2014
Hey,
Just to protect myself, I will say first off that this my personal story and that anything you decide to do is at your own risk :)

so here's my story, speaking from experience. I am a German citizen, Canadian PR, and I lived in Germany from August 2011 to January 2014. I did travel back and forth to Canada several times, and of course, I still maintained my PR residency obligations. Because I travelled back and forth to Canada (given the awesome lengthy vacations in Germany), I could've techincally stayed out of Canada until October 2014 and still have met my residency obligations (730 days present in Canada in a 5 year period). Anything longer, I would've lost my privelage to live in Canada, as I had no good reason for them to keep my.

Anyways, my PR card expiry date was January 15, 2014, however my return ticket was booked for January 30, 2014. Yes my PR card was expired. At the airport, I showed them my passport and proof of my PR card renewal application. They asked some questions about where I was the last couple years to make sure I did meet my residency obligations and after about 1 minute, the officer let me in. Was that easy. I put in my application from Germany on November 2013, and I still haven't got my PR card yet. They sent me a letter in September 2014 asking for more proof that I fulfilled my residency obligations. I guess they still thought I was out of the country. For your record, I did speak to a customs officer on a visit to Canada at Pearson airport. They keep a record of when you leave the country, but they don't know when you left. So it's up to you to prove to them where you were and when you left Canada for vacation, work or a trip to the US even. I got a call from CIC 2 weeks back and they said they approved my application and they will send it to Sydney NS to issue a PR card. I even received a letter from CIC that states they confirm that I have met my residency obligation and that my PR card will arrive shortly. Problem is, I am flying to India next week for vacation, and I don't have my PR card. I put a request for urgent processing and they said they would get it to me as soon as they could, but "no guarantee". Im not going to apply for a travel document. With a german passport, I can still enter as a tourist, but I am sure there won't be at immigration. My plan is just to show them that letter. As someone mentioned above, if you have an Indian passport that needs a Visa, then yes, you would be screwed.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Some observations:

Technically airlines are obligated to check that Canadian Permanent Residents have a currently valid PR card before allowing the PR to board the plane, regardless of what passport the PR carries (that is, whether or not the passport is visa-exempt).

But, as others above have alluded, PRs with a visa-exempt passport are often allowed to board flights destined to Canada without having their PR card checked. This is more often the case (thus less risky) when departing a country which is visa-exempt, and most often the case when the place of departure is the same visa-exempt country whose passport the PR carries.

It is up to the airlines to enforce the requirement to present a valid PR card. So it is the airlines discretion.

The airlines job (by agreement with Canada, so as to have rights to fly into Canada) is to check boarding passengers, before they board, to assure all passengers have authorization to enter Canada. A valid PR card is the Canadian PR's travel document authorizing entry into Canada.

Those with a visa-exempt passport have authorization to enter Canada as a visitor. Technically, however, this is not authorization to enter Canada as a PR, and technically a PR is not authorized to enter Canada as a visitor, only as a PR.

Reminder: a Canadian PR abroad who does not have a valid PR card is presumed to be inadmissible.

My experience is that the airlines do not usually examine a passport beyond the photo and vital statistics page if it is a passport from a visa-exempt country. But again, this is largely based on flying from a visa-exempt country. Obviously, if the passport is examined more closely, and it has a cancelled PR visa indicating the individual is a landed PR in Canada, the result could be different.

And I suspect that flying from countries which are not visa-exempt, at least some of them, entails more scrutiny attendant exiting the country and boarding international flights. Thus, I suspect the risk of running into a problem abroad if one does not have a valid PR card increases in a number of countries.

Caution: new procedures coming in 2015:

In particular, in the meantime, last I saw Canada was on track to implement an electronic pre-boarding authorization procedure for visa-exempt travelers, except those carrying U.S. passports, by early in 2015.

This means, if they implement the program as scheduled, Canada will begin requiring visa-exempt travelers to obtain an electronic authorization to fly to Canada before boarding. I have no idea what the scope of screening criteria will be. Obviously, it will at least be a security screening. Beyond that I don't know. It could, however, easily require the input of information which will identify PRs as a PR regardless of what travel document is used (such as a visa-exempt passport, which should be connected to the PR's Canadian immigration client number in the Canadian system) and for identified PRs perhaps require a valid PR card. Not sure it will have this functionality, but of course the technology to do so would be a small step beyond the technology needed to implement this program. (It will be similar to what the U.S. has been doing for awhile.)

In other words, it is possible that by sometime in 2015, in order to board a flight destined to Canada, all PRs may be required to have a valid PR card or a PR Travel Document, regardless of what passport they carry (other than U.S. citizens). Not just technically but in practice as well.

(Note: I think this program is among those Harper has agreed to implement under pressure from the U.S., but that is a bit of political speculation.)

None of the above is about what happens at the POE. That is a different subject.

canada1212

Mar 16, 2015
dpenabill, can you tell me if this has been implemented yet or will get implemented in the next ~2 months? If this is what you were talking about then it appears it hasn't as of Dec 2nd 2014: cic.gc.ca/english/department/acts-regulations/forward-regulatory-plan/eta.asp

I'm in a similar situation where I'll be traveling to the US as a European citizen with an expired PR card and won't have time to get a replacement card before leaving. I've talked to CIC and the CBSA. They recommend getting the PRTD (travel document), but I don't know how long it takes to get it (I've emailed the consulate). The problem seems to be getting to Canada via plane if the airline doesn't let you on, not entering Canada.

Assuming I can't get the PRTD...

1) if the airline were to decide to not let me on the plane, would they let me if I were to purchase a refundable return ticket?

2) I have dual European citizenship. Could I fly back to Canada with my 'non-PR passport' or is that connected to my 'PR passport'?

----

Edit: Apparently it's planned for April 2015 and I am returning to Canada mid April...great, so I guess I'm screwed if this is implemented by then?
gazette.gc.ca/rp-pr/p1/2013/2013-12-07/html/notice-avis-eng.html#d108

Would my only option then be to cross into Canada using a car?

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
canada1212 said:
1) if the airline were to decide to not let me on the plane, would they let me if I were to purchase a refundable return ticket?
First off, when checking into your flight do not tell the airline you are a PR. That will only raise questions about your PR status, and they could demand you show a valid PR card to allow boarding.

It's better to simply tell the airline you are traveling as a visitor to Canada under your visa-exempt passport. In case they demand a return ticket, then yes you can purchase a fully refundable one on the spot and cancel it immediately after you're issued your ticket.

2) I have dual European citizenship. Could I fly back to Canada with my 'non-PR passport' or is that connected to my 'PR passport'?
As long as the passport is visa-exempt to Canada, that's the main criteria. An airline has absolutely no way to see what passport you applied for your PR with. Only CBSA would know that info once you are at the Canada POE.

But as you said, once the new eTA requirements come into play (scheduled for April 2015), all bets are off and in that case you may need to arrange for a PR TD, or fly to USA and enter Canada by car. Though I haven't seen a firm set of instructions in what PRs will need to specifically do to satisfy the eTA rules.

canada1212

Mar 16, 2015
Thanks for the reply. I do not plan on telling them that I am a PR. In the past I was never asked by the airline but who knows about this time.
April is in two weeks and I find it concerning that no information about the eTA program is available online. I would've expected the information to be online a few weeks in advance so that people such as myself wouldn't find themselves in a bind while abroad.
Who knows, maybe I could still fly to Canada with an expired PR card if my PR status is verified in Canada through eTA?
My last hope at this point is to do the PRTD, but again I don't know how long it takes to get it.

So much for enjoying my vacation...

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
canada1212 said:
I'm in a similar situation where I'll be traveling to the US as a European citizen with an expired PR card and won't have time to get a replacement card before leaving. I've talked to CIC and the CBSA. They recommend getting the PRTD (travel document), but I don't know how long it takes to get it (I've emailed the consulate). The problem seems to be getting to Canada via plane if the airline doesn't let you on, not entering Canada.

Assuming I can't get the PRTD...

. . .

Would my only option then be to cross into Canada using a car?
Unfortunately there is still minimal information about how the eTA process works, or will work, in practice. In particular, I have not seen any information regarding what sort of admissibility checks will be done, what recourse or alternatives there are if the electronic pre-boarding authorization is denied, and it is little surprise that CBSA and CIC are unsympathetic and only offer the techncially correct suggestion (obtain a PR Travel Document if traveling without a currently valid PR card).

While typically Canada will not publicly disclose the admissibility criteria employed in the electronic screening, after this has been in place for a time we should start seeing anecdotal reports indicating problems or no problems in various scenarios, especially this particular scenario: a PR whose PR card is expired or who does not otherwise have a currently valid PR card, no admissibility issues (not in breach of PR Residency Obligation for example), who is traveling internationally using his or her visa-exempt passport.

What we do not know in particular, but what will hopefully be learned from others soon after this is in place, is whether or not the application for the eTA using a visa-exempt passport will be screened to identify travelers with PR status, and if so to deny the authorization requiring the traveler to re-apply based on PR status which would, ostensibly, require having a currently valid PR card.

We could guess. We could guess that this process is intended to screen visa-exempt travelers for inadmissibility, ranging from the obvious, those on watch-lists, to those who have been denied admission to Canada in the past, those flagged in FOSS for inadmissibility, or for whom there is a criminal record flag, and so on . . . but not to identify Canadian PRs and screen them for valid PR cards. And indeed, having nothing at stake in this myself, this might even be my guess.

But for you, of course, there is something at stake.

If this guess is wrong, as you are aware, there is, as a last resort, the option to fly to Buffalo, N.Y., or Seattle, Wash., or Detroit, Mich., and drive to the border. But of course that would be highly inconvenient and probably expensive. But at least it is a way home.

Bottom-line: I do not know. You may be the guinea-pig who finds out and can report so others will know.

As for guessing, the factors and inclinations in making a guess:

It is a hard guess for me to offer so much as an inclination leaning one way or the other.

On one hand, a system like this has to have limited parameters and will, of course, need to rely on carefully structured database query software. The more complex and diverse the queries and data queried, the greater the risk of false hits which could render the system virtually unusable. After all, it needs to be near perfect in providing admissible travelers the electronic authorization, otherwise it becomes another labour-intensive human screening process with huge costs, inherent delays, potentially resulting in major interference with ordinary travel. This observation leans toward a system screening for basic types of inadmissiblity. After all, all travelers will still go through the POE screening process upon arrival in Canada.

But, software engineers have been writing complex, multi-layered conditional code relying on sophisticated logarithms for a long time, and merely identifying the client number for a visa-exempt traveler and that the client has PR status, would be relatively easy to incorporate into the software. The question then is whether the system merely checks against any flags or admissibility issues for the client as a PR, or whether it requires a currently valid PR card. In this regard, PR status is not dependent on possession of a currently valid PR card. But, for PRs, only a currently valid PR card or a PR Travel Document are considered acceptable travel documents authorizing travel to Canada.

I cannot guess which way it will work. If I had to guess, I would guess it will give authorization to PRs who do not otherwise have outstanding admissibility issues or flags. But it is easy to see, given this government's attitudes about cracking down on PR Residency Obligation enforcement, it could be structured so that the lack of a currently valid PR card might trigger a problem.

Please let us know if you find out more.

Addendum: In the future, once a traveler has obtained the eTA it is good for . . . I forget but think it will be five years. So, once a PR travels abroad, obtains the eTA in returning to Canada, this screening should not pose a problem. Remembering this, though, makes me think this screening really will be focused on inadmissibility and thus may not be intended to screen returning PRs for having a currently valid PR card . . . but it is still a guess.