+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you get a SIN mailed to the US?

trecht

Jun 24, 2019
I'm a new PR and have not yet moved to Canada but want to get a SIN. (I realize that right now they're only processing urgent requests, but I can't start work without a SIN so I'm hoping my request will qualify.) According to the government website you can apply for a SIN from outside Canada. I'm thinking of doing this but not sure about the logistics --specifically, whether I should use a courier service and send a return envelope or just use registered mail. Has anyone here applied for a SIN from outside Canada? If so, how did you send your documents and how were they returned? How long did it take? Thanks.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I'm a new PR and have not yet moved to Canada but want to get a SIN. (I realize that right now they're only processing urgent requests, but I can't start work without a SIN so I'm hoping my request will qualify.) According to the government website you can apply for a SIN from outside Canada. I'm thinking of doing this but not sure about the logistics --specifically, whether I should use a courier service and send a return envelope or just use registered mail. Has anyone here applied for a SIN from outside Canada? If so, how did you send your documents and how were they returned? How long did it take? Thanks.
You’ll need to be in Canada and it will only be mailed within Canada.

trecht

Jun 24, 2019
You’ll need to be in Canada and it will only be mailed within Canada.
Thanks, do you have a source for this? This page (sorry, I linked the wrong page in the OP) says "individuals applying from outside Canada" can apply by mail, and the address you fill out on the application form has a "country" field, which suggests they will mail it outside Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks, do you have a source for this? This page (sorry, I linked the wrong page in the OP) says "individuals applying from outside Canada" can apply by mail, and the address you fill out on the application form has a "country" field, which suggests they will mail it outside Canada.
Sorry was thinking about PR cards. There aren’t SIN cards anymore. It looks like you are only able to apply by mail if you live far away from an office but still in Canada or for certain extenuating experiences. It doesn’t sound like you are in a position where you can’t travel and need special consideration although you can certainly try.

https://catalogue.servicecanada.gc.ca/apps/EForms/pdf/en/NAS-2120.pdf

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
So maybe clarify that you are entering a Canadian post code as your residence in the mail to qualifying section of the link you provided ? Where does it say outside of Canada as all I see on this page if someone lives more than 100km from nearest Service CAnada which should not be take to imply anywhere in the world ?

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/apply.html

Lots of forms have a country as part of a standard template so suspect IRCC is no different but as Canuck suggests if you want to apply then no harm but all indications seem to be will not work and you may risk losing your original documents.

Last edited:

trecht

Jun 24, 2019
So maybe clarify that you are entering a Canadian post code as your residence in the mail to qualifying section of the link you provided ? Where does it say outside of Canada as all I see on this page if someone lives more than 100km from nearest Service CAnada which should not be take to imply anywhere in the world ?
The third bullet point on that page says "individuals applying from outside Canada" are eligible. And the application form itself (linked by Canuck78) says "If you currently reside outside Canada, you are eligible to apply by mail. Follow Steps 1 to 3 to submit your application form and provide original proof-of-identity documents to the Social Insurance Registration office." But it doesn't say anything about how to send the documents, whether to provide a return envelope/shipping label, etc.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
The third bullet point on that page says "individuals applying from outside Canada" are eligible. And the application form itself (linked by Canuck78) says "If you currently reside outside Canada, you are eligible to apply by mail. Follow Steps 1 to 3 to submit your application form and provide original proof-of-identity documents to the Social Insurance Registration office." But it doesn't say anything about how to send the documents, whether to provide a return envelope/shipping label, etc.
Missed that part. Canada usually doesn’t mail things abroad and you have to include original identity documents which makes me nervous.

trecht

Jun 24, 2019
I actually got through to Service Canada today (after several days of trying). The person said that yes, you can apply from abroad and send the documents by registered mail, and to include a letter explaining why the application is urgent. But she also said that since they're doing everything by mail at the moment there's no knowing how long it would take to process, potentially months. I don't want to be without my passport for months, so I'm holding off for now.