+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you face loss of PR because of changes of conditions in home country ?

lknd3

Jan 11, 2018
Hello all, I am a protected person from Syria, I applied for my PR and got stage 1 (eligibility) cleared, I am also a Student, I am fully independent, never took any financial assistance from any program and on my way to have a promising career in Engineering.
I understand that as a protected person or as a PR you cannot apply to renew your passport or travel to your home country (which makes sense since you claimed Canada's protection from that country).
My question is if you did not travel to your home country, did not renew your passport, had no contact whatsoever with that country and frankly focusing on building your life here. Does it ever happen that at one point in your life you can lose everything you built here and be removed simply because your country conditions changed ? Did this ever happen to anyone ? I can't stop thinking about it

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
It is a possibility, but I have significant doubts that would ever happen. The UNHCR certainly allows for reviews of country conditions. However, once you have PR status, it seems unlikely, particularly if you are settled in Canada, they would revoke that status. The risk would obviously be greater if you draw attention to yourself (like visiting your home country). It's a bit of a long/dry read, but there are some decent explanations in this:

http://www.irb-cisr.gc.ca/Eng/BoaCom/references/LegJur/Pages/RefDef07.aspx

R

rish888

Hello all, I am a protected person from Syria, I applied for my PR and got stage 1 (eligibility) cleared, I am also a Student, I am fully independent, never took any financial assistance from any program and on my way to have a promising career in Engineering.
I understand that as a protected person or as a PR you cannot apply to renew your passport or travel to your home country (which makes sense since you claimed Canada's protection from that country).
My question is if you did not travel to your home country, did not renew your passport, had no contact whatsoever with that country and frankly focusing on building your life here. Does it ever happen that at one point in your life you can lose everything you built here and be removed simply because your country conditions changed ? Did this ever happen to anyone ? I can't stop thinking about it
From a practical perspective I don't see Syria becoming safe anytime soon. You'll probably have your citizenship before Syria becomes even remotely safe. Once you have citizenship it's with you for life.

I'm not sure if there is an exception for individuals who gained their PR through protected person status, but usually Canadian PR is for life. (Unless you commit a crime, violate the residency obligation, or in the case of refugees/protected persons avail yourself of your home country's protection.)

SKguy

Feb 10, 2015
Canada
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
No need to stress over change of situation in Syria. You will be PR before Syria is remotely safe. Once you receive your PR you will be granted the right to stay in Canada permanently. This right comes with certain conditions of course in your case not to travel to your home country or renew passport because this can be considered as you don't "fear prosecution" from the country anymore. Losing a PR status is a big thing that requires a complete process and change of law if they want to withdraw it from convention refugees. Once you become a citizen you don't have to worry about thing as you will have Canadian Citizens rights. Good luck in your engineering career!

Reactions: lknd3

lknd3

Jan 11, 2018
Thank you all for the replies, As I said I have no intention whatsoever of going there or renew my passport, or have any form of contact with them. I may just be overthinking this whole thing and stressing out over it while I should be focusing on more important things.

Buletruck

VIP Member
May 18, 2015
I may just be overthinking this whole thing and stressing out over it while I should be focusing on more important things.
Yup! Calm blue ocean, calm blue ocean....this isn't something that should keep you awake at night worrying about, particularly if you have no intention of going back. Worry about plugging in the car or what colour shoes go with those boots, or chicken instead of fish.....they are, in all honesty, probably bigger issues than having your countries status changed.

Reactions: lknd3 and rish888