+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you ask the CIC when not to test / oath?

chx

Oct 13, 2012
If you look into my previous thread it's pretty clear I should revoke my previous case and file a new one. So I will. Is it doable / advisable to tell CIC when you will be out of country? I know I will be out Aug 7-Oct 3 already and if I file novemberish and all goes well then the oath might just fell on those dates. I'm also out for xmas/NYE but surely they won't test you within two months? (And yes, my yearly average is 112 days out of the country which makes it enough under the new rules but not under the old ones. I am about 60 days over under new rules and 90-ish days short under the old ones.)

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
You can certainly tell CIC when you will be out of the country. However the citizenship process isn't scheduled at your convenience. At some point they will send you a test date and you can defer your test if you are out of the country. CIC will then reschedule the test for a random date not of your choosing. If you also can't make that date - CIC will likely flag your case as abandoned and cancel the application. You can expect something similar for the oath.

Unfortunately the short answer is that you should be aiming to schedule your travel around your citizenship test and oath - not vice versa.

bubbelbine

May 26, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I called the CIC number and informed the call centre agent of my travel plans in advance and she said that they appreciated that and the note will be in my file and nothing will be scheduled during my absence. Worked well for me :)

Bigudi

May 22, 2015
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27-05-2015
AOR Received.
20-07-2015
LANDED..........
08-08-2011
bubbelbine said:
I called the CIC number and informed the call centre agent of my travel plans in advance and she said that they appreciated that and the note will be in my file and nothing will be scheduled during my absence. Worked well for me :)
That sounds nice, but in several threads in this forum, several applicants did the exact same thing, they had the exact same answer and despite of it they were scheduled for test/oath during their absent period.
So... don't put much faith on it.