+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you apply for PRTD in USA while living in Canada?

Suryak86

Sep 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
AOR Received.
14-07-2014
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
14-08-2014 ( Medical Received : 24-08-2014)
Interview........
RPRF : March 30th, 2015
Passport Req..
20-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2015
Hello guys,
I will be moving to Canada in November this year and will need to travel immediately to India in December. The problem is my PR card is held up because of photographs and the CIC call center is of no use to track down my PR card. I wanted to apply for PRTD in the canadian consulate here in the US. My wife still works in the US, so can I send her the passport and COPR and get her to mail my application to CIC for a PRTD ?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you will be going back to Canada from the u.s., you can:

A) cross the border by land in a private car or on foot without a PR card or PRTD;
B) if flying, or travelling by other commercial transport, apply for PRTD in the US.

If you will be travelling directly from India to Canada, you need to apply for the PRTD in/from India.

Suryak86

Sep 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
AOR Received.
14-07-2014
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
20-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2015
Thank you for that insight. But I wanted to get my PRTD done by sending my passport and COPR over with my wife, then sending an application through VFS and once they issue the visa, send the passport and COPR back. That way, I can fly to India and back directly to Canada. Is that possible?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suryak86 said:
Thank you for that insight. But I wanted to get my PRTD done by sending my passport and COPR over with my wife, then sending an application through VFS and once they issue the visa, send the passport and COPR back. That way, I can fly to India and back directly to Canada. Is that possible?
Totally confused :(. Sorry! "Sending your passport & COPR over" *where*??

If you need to fly directly from India to Canada, without a PR card, you need to apply for a PRTD in/from India.

If you apply for a PRTD in the US, it will be valid for travel from the US back to Canada. Not for travel from India.

Suryak86

Sep 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
AOR Received.
14-07-2014
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
20-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2015
Lammawitch said:
Totally confused :(. Sorry! "Sending your passport & COPR over" *where*??

If you need to fly directly from India to Canada, without a PR card, you need to apply for a PRTD in/from India.

If you apply for a PRTD in the US, it will be valid for travel from the US back to Canada. Not for travel from India.
Allright, sorry that came out wrong. My wife is still in the US while I am here in Canada. My wife will be visiting me soon and I am wondering if I could send my COPR and Passport with her to the US, then send it over to the Canadian embassy for a PRTD visa. Then she can mail those back to me. That way the visa remains unused.

Do you think we can do that?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suryak86 said:
Allright, sorry that came out wrong. My wife is still in the US while I am here in Canada. My wife will be visiting me soon and I am wondering if I could send my COPR and Passport with her to the US, then send it over to the Canadian embassy for a PRTD visa. Then she can mail those back to me. That way the visa remains unused.

Do you think we can do that?
My answer stands: if you need to travel from *India* to Canada, you need to apply for the PRTD from India.

(If it's to travel from the US to Canada, your proposition is probably OK.)

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
@surya... You wouldn't get a PRTD from the Canadian embassy in the US coz you don't need it to enter Canada from the US, just passport and COPR would do, well may be you would if you fly in using a commercial airline, you would have to enclose your itinerary and a reason as to why you need it. Coz you could send your pictures and get the PR card while being in the US, I would think...
I guess, the underlying assumption here is PRTD is less of a hassle in a Canadian Embassy in the US when compared to a Canadian High Commission in India.

I got the PRTD for our daughter in the Mumbai office within 2 days, by the time I reached home, the passport with the PRTD was on its way... so if that's your only concern, I wouldn't sweat it...
but then, get the pix to speccs and keep calling to track the PR, you may just get it... u never know... in our case, we had our PRTD and the PR card for our daughter was ready as well...

Suryak86

Sep 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
AOR Received.
14-07-2014
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
20-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2015
cprak0 said:
@surya... You wouldn't get a PRTD from the Canadian embassy in the US coz you don't need it to enter Canada from the US, just passport and COPR would do, well may be you would if you fly in using a commercial airline, you would have to enclose your itinerary and a reason as to why you need it. Coz you could send your pictures and get the PR card while being in the US, I would think...
I guess, the underlying assumption here is PRTD is less of a hassle in a Canadian Embassy in the US when compared to a Canadian High Commission in India.

I got the PRTD for our daughter in the Mumbai office within 2 days, by the time I reached home, the passport with the PRTD was on its way... so if that's your only concern, I wouldn't sweat it...
but then, get the pix to speccs and keep calling to track the PR, you may just get it... u never know... in our case, we had our PRTD and the PR card for our daughter was ready as well...
My problem is I will only be in India for about 2 weeks and I will have just joined a new job. I do not want to put the opportunity in any danger because of a possible delay in India. I would rather know of a delay here in US and Canada and plan accordingly.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Suryak86 said:
My problem is I will only be in India for about 2 weeks and I will have just joined a new job. I do not want to put the opportunity in any danger because of a possible delay in India. I would rather know of a delay here in US and Canada and plan accordingly.
Your idea in principle could work since there is nothing in the IRPA and regs pertaining to the location of the PRTD applicant though by convention its someone outside Canada. I also note that 'The PRTD application guide - Form 5529' includes in the list of those who should not apply for PRTDs as those PRs who are in Canada. The LA Consulate General deals with PRTD applications (and you can mail direct to them) but the catch is whether you are a person qualifying to be served/apply at that consulate. Most consulates serve those living/residing within a certain geographical area and the LA consulate may decide this would be the visa posts in India and return your application unprocessed. No harm in trying but processing times and PRTD validity may be tight relative to your anticipated travel dates.

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
Suryak86 said:
As I said, 2 weeks are more than plenty. Just make sure to put in the application at the Visa office closest home the moment you get there, with all the info, that the pics were not accepted and that the PR card is being processed, while you had to be in India...
and you will have the PRTD well before you need to fly back to Canada.

Alternatively, if you have the visa for the US, fly from India to the US and drive to Canada, no need for PRTD then.

Inspired beta

Oct 16, 2015
Visa Office......
LVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
xx-12-2014
Med's Done....
15-09-2015
VISA ISSUED...
01-10-2015
LANDED..........
Soon !
cprak0 said:
As I said, 2 weeks are more than plenty. Just make sure to put in the application at the Visa office closest home the moment you get there, with all the info, that the pics were not accepted and that the PR card is being processed, while you had to be in India...
and you will have the PRTD well before you need to fly back to Canada.

Alternatively, if you have the visa for the US, fly from India to the US and drive to Canada, no need for PRTD then.
That's a good option. via US, then by private vehicle to Canada.
PTRD is single use, country of travel origin, specific.

Regards

Suryak86

Sep 25, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
NDVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-05-2014
AOR Received.
14-07-2014
Med's Request
14-07-2014
Med's Done....
Interview........
Passport Req..
20-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
23-04-2015
Inspired beta said:
That's a good option. via US, then by private vehicle to Canada.
PTRD is single use, country of travel origin, specific.

Regards
So wait, I cannot get a PRTD in the US, fly to India and then fly from India to Canada? really?

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
That is what we have been trying to tell you from the start.

If you need a PRTD to fly from India to Canada, you need to apply for the PRTD in India.

It's not that difficult: prepare all forms & required documents in advance; if necessary, book appointment for the day you arrive there (India), if no appointment necessary, go directly on landing to lodge application.