+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you apply for a Temporary Work Permit while in Canada on a TRV?

SKgirl

Star Member
Oct 19, 2011
SK
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Manila
i need your help with this: if my relative who is in Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa-multiple entry found an employer who gave her a job offer and +LMO, is it possible for her to apply for a work permit without going back to the Phillipines?
Thanks. I appreciate your answer. :D

ragluf

Champion Member
Feb 15, 2012
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
SKgirl said:
i need your help with this: if my relative who is in Canada on a Temporary Resident Visa-multiple entry found an employer who gave her a job offer and +LMO, is it possible for her to apply for a work permit without going back to the Phillipines?
If you are doing this on her own it is most advisable to have her return to the PH and apply for the work permit.
from: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/visit/extend-stay.asp#change

Working or studying in Canada

Most visitors to Canada are not allowed to work or study in Canada without permission.

You must apply for a work permit or a study permit before coming to Canada. If you are visiting Canada and you want to apply to work or study, you must leave Canada and apply from your home country.

Most often, CIC reasons that VOs in the applicant's home country are better placed in verifying the submitted information in the work permit application.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Your relative can send the initial WP application to the US (NYC or LA consulates). Hope either office does not call her for interview. But if she has a visa to the US then that would not be any problem. At least NYC or LA is closer than the Philippines.

SKgirl said:

A

angelnic19

Hi, I know of someone who was in Canada on Trv when she applied for the live in caregiver program. She applied in the US (Buffalo Office @ the time). I don't think that ooffice is in operation anymore ( not sure). However, there are also other US border offices. She was lucky enough to not hv required to attend an interview, thus she went to the Niagara land border to get her work permit processed by showing them the acceptance letter. If this was not the case then she would hv neede a visa to enter the US for the interview. Hope this puts things into perspective. Good luck to your friend whichever route she chooses.

Oct 28, 2012
angelnic19 said:
Hi, I know of someone who was in Canada on Trv when she applied for the live in caregiver program. She applied in the US (Buffalo Office @ the time). I don't think that ooffice is in operation anymore ( not sure). However, there are also other US border offices. She was lucky enough to not hv required to attend an interview, thus she went to the Niagara land border to get her work permit processed by showing them the acceptance letter. If this was not the case then she would hv neede a visa to enter the US for the interview. Hope this puts things into perspective. Good luck to your friend whichever route she chooses.

Hi Angelnic, Please I need your help. I am with the same situation with the one you know who applied under LCP with a TRV. Did she need to have a U.S. visa to enter Niagara border? I just need to get my processed work permit too. Hoping for your response. Thanks!