+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can you answer my questions, please? US to CANADA

Shane2013

Sep 5, 2011
Hello, I'm a junior in high school in the U.S. and have been planning on moving to Canada once I'm 18 and completed high school, and through research I think the best route to go would be to apply for a Canadian college, (preferably in Nova Scotia), get a study permit, and after finishing college I will have a better chance to get accepted for permanent residence.

This would be the best route to go, right? I don't think they would give permanent residence to an 18 year old who is planning to move by himself, with no Canadian work experience. Also, since I'm planning on living in Canada for the rest of my life, I would want to go college anyways. I also read somewhere that there is a program offered for international students who completed their post-secondary school and this program lets them stay in Canada for 3 more years to join the work force.

Heres my questions:

1. Is this the best route to go for an 18 year old, with no Canadian work experience, who desires to live in Canada?

2. After I complete my post-secondary school, does the study permit make me have to go back to the U.S.?

3. I want to know how to leave to Canada at 18 and never have to step a foot back in America. So, once I study, how do I stay in Canada without having to return to the U.S.?

4. My senior year ends on June 2nd. In order to get a study permit I need to be accepted from a college, so since I have to wait until I get a letter of acceptance to send my study permit application and then I have to wait until I get accepted for a study permit, wouldn't that take several months and the college that I got accepted to might have already started and that means I have to wait an entire year for the term to start again? I want to leave as soon as possible and don't want to miss the start of the term because I finally received the documents. (I hope that made sense).

Thanks so very much. You don't know how much your answers mean to me. Any help whatsoever is appreciated!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Shane2013 said:
Hello, I'm a junior in high school in the U.S. and have been planning on moving to Canada once I'm 18 and completed high school, and through research I think the best route to go would be to apply for a Canadian college, (preferably in Nova Scotia), get a study permit, and after finishing college I will have a better chance to get accepted for permanent residence.

This would be the best route to go, right? I don't think they would give permanent residence to an 18 year old who is planning to move by himself, with no Canadian work experience. Also, since I'm planning on living in Canada for the rest of my life, I would want to go college anyways. I also read somewhere that there is a program offered for international students who completed their post-secondary school and this program lets them stay in Canada for 3 more years to join the work force.

Heres my questions:

1. Is this the best route to go for an 18 year old, with no Canadian work experience, who desires to live in Canada?

2. After I complete my post-secondary school, does the study permit make me have to go back to the U.S.?

3. I want to know how to leave to Canada at 18 and never have to step a foot back in America. So, once I study, how do I stay in Canada without having to return to the U.S.?

Thanks so very much. You don't know how much your answers mean to me. Any help whatsoever is appreciated!
1. You are considering a study permit. Have you looked at the cost for an international student? The first year tuition will be a minimum of $8K plus $10K for the years living expenses + transportation, unless you can demonstrate those funds, you will not be issued a study permit.
2. If you complete a degree in Canada, you can obtain a 3 year work permit allowing you to work in Canada.
3. Once you have completed a degree and have worked at a skilled job in Canada for 1 year, you can apply for PR under the CEC (present rules)

Shane2013

Sep 5, 2011
PMM said:
Hi

1. You are considering a study permit. Have you looked at the cost for an international student? The first year tuition will be a minimum of $8K plus $10K for the years living expenses + transportation, unless you can demonstrate those funds, you will not be issued a study permit.
2. If you complete a degree in Canada, you can obtain a 3 year work permit allowing you to work in Canada.
3. Once you have completed a degree and have worked at a skilled job in Canada for 1 year, you can apply for PR under the CEC (present rules)
Thanks for replying. Yes, I've looked at the cost for tuition and moving. I would think 22k in USD would be enough to pay for one year of tution and enough for an apartment and other living expenses until I find a job on or off campus.