+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can working on SPOUSAL OPEN WORK PERMIT lead to PR through CEC?

gautam0597

Star Member
Feb 16, 2010
Mumbai, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2011
Doc's Request.
All Docs except PCC sent along with Initial Application
AOR Received.
31-03-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with Initial Application
File Transfer...
04-04-2011
Hi.
My wife would be pursuing a 1 yr PG diploma this year. She will get a 1 yr PG Work permit after her graduation, so in all she gets to stay legally for 2 years.
If I also end up going to Canada and start working to get the 2 years of work experience on an OWP, am I eligible to apply for PR under CEC?

Or is there a faster way to do it? If there is a way, please explain to me in detail.

Thanks in advance.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
The open work permit is OK, but for your 2 years of work experience to "count" for CEC, it will have to be a skilled occupation (NOC O, A, or B).

http://www5.hrsdc.gc.ca/NOC/English/NOC/2006/html/Matrix.html

Is there a faster way? It depends on your occupation / employment experience.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
gautam0597 said:
Hi.
My wife would be pursuing a 1 yr PG diploma this year. She will get a 1 yr PG Work permit after her graduation, so in all she gets to stay legally for 2 years.
If I also end up going to Canada and start working to get the 2 years of work experience on an OWP, am I eligible to apply for PR under CEC?

Or is there a faster way to do it? If there is a way, please explain to me in detail.

Thanks in advance.
If you or your wife qualify to apply under the skilled worker program, you would be eligible after 12 months of work/study in Canada, even if your occupations are not on the most wanted list of 38. If you manage to secure a permanent skilled job offer (AEO), you may be able to apply sooner. There are also provincial nominee programs in many provinces where your employer could sponsor you for PR.

gautam0597

Star Member
Feb 16, 2010
Mumbai, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2011
Doc's Request.
All Docs except PCC sent along with Initial Application
AOR Received.
31-03-2011
IELTS Request
Sent with Initial Application
File Transfer...
04-04-2011
Hi. Thanks so much for your valuable clarification guys. I really appreciate it.

Suppose myself or my spouse get an AEO in the near future could we apply under the FSW category? If so, how long would the immigrant visa processing typically take?

Upon obtaining an AEO do we have to apply for the FSW category of immigrant visa ourselves or the employer does all that paper work & sponsoring

I want to move to Toronto. I doubt if there is a provincial nomination thing for Ontario.. or is there one?

Also kindly pardon my out of the topic question:

How easy/difficult is it to secure a Sales/Marketing/Travel Agent AOE without physically being in Canada?

Any additional information will be really valuable.

Thanks.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, if you get an AEO and you meet all other requirements, you can apply under FSW. How long it takes isn't posted yet but will be posted here: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/international/02b-skilled-fed.asp at some point or you can look at timelines of other people at trackitt.com

If you get an AEO to apply under FSW, the employer only applies for the AEO itself. Then you get it and you do all the paperwork to apply for your PR. The employer has no obligation to hire you once you get to Canada and you have no obligation to work for him. If you get an AEO to apply under a PNP, the employer needs to support your application a bit more. I haven't really looked into the PNP in Ontario so much but I believe it's fairly limited.

It is very hard to secure an AEO without being in Canada but some people have managed.

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
But yes, there is a provincial nomination program in Ontario -

http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/english/pnp.asp

Last I looked, it seemed to have pretty much the same eligibility requirements as FSW, and an extra hurdle to go through, so I'm not sure what advantages there are. You still have to find your own employer. But take a look.

gautam0597

Star Member
Feb 16, 2010
Mumbai, India
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-02-2011