+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply to US visitor visa in Canada when having a Canadian visitor visa?

maxmtl

Star Member
Apr 8, 2014
Hello everybody!

My mother in law is coming to Canada to visit us in several months. She holds a Canadian visitor multi entry visa. Can we apply to US visitor visa in Canada when she will be here or she has to do it in her country, Armenia, where she is coming from? Which way is faster and less chance to get a refusal?

Please share your experience if you dealt with this kind of situation?

Thank you

Last edited:

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello everybody!

My mother in law is coming to Canada to visit us in several months. She holds a Canadian visitor multi entry visa. Can we apply to US visitor visa in Canada when she will be here or she has to do it in her country, Armenia, where she is coming from? Which way is faster and less chance to get a refusal?

Thank you
Wait time currently in Toronto for a B1/B2 US visa interview is 745 days

Reactions: YVR123

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Hello everybody!

Thank you

It’s 225 days for a B1/B2 interview in Yerevan

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Why so long now? 5 years ago it was like 3 weeks for my wife to get invited for the appointment. I am checking the processing times website and for Montreal it says emergency appointments only.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html
It's been like this since the US started holding interviews again post COVID. There's a big backlog.

Yes, for Montreal, that means there are no appointments available at all right now (except for those with emergencies). Everything is booked up in Montreal right now for the next couple of years.

Some people have managed to snag earlier interviews by checking the site multiple times per hour and looking for appointments to open up due to cancelations. You can certainly try doing that if you have the patience and perseverance.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
Why so long now? 5 years ago it was like 3 weeks for my wife to get invited for the appointment. I am checking the processing times website and for Montreal it says emergency appointments only.

https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/us-visas/visa-information-resources/wait-times.html
Per the US Government

“While the Embassy and Consulates aim to schedule appointments and process cases as soon as practicable, there are likely to be increased wait times for appointments and processing due to the pandemic and surging demand. Residents in Canada can check wait times here: Visa Appointment Wait Times (state.gov). Applicants that are not resident in Canada can anticipate a wait time of approximately 600 calendar days for an appointment.”

maxmtl

Star Member
Apr 8, 2014
Most of Covid rules in USA are over since January. They had enough time to sort out the backlog.

Sundar2019

Star Member
Nov 18, 2019
Hello, i live in montreal and awaiting BV interview slot. Dont see any slot at all. Is there any alternative option?

Are we allowed to book in a different province if slots available?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, i live in montreal and awaiting BV interview slot. Dont see any slot at all. Is there any alternative option?

Are we allowed to book in a different province if slots available?
Yes you can book in other provinces if you are willing to travel