+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply PRTD twice?

byunbeee

Oct 1, 2023
My PR status expired when I was outside of Canada so I had to apply for a PRTD to enter Canada. They advised me to renew my PR card but what if I don’t and travel to a different country? Can I apply for a PRTD for the second time and enter Canada? Or will they reject my PRTD application because I didn’t renew my PR card when I came back to Canada?

I totally understand that I should renew my PR card but I am just wondering .. I couldn't find an information which states that they will reject my PRTD if I don't renew my PR card after getting a first PRTD and entrance to Canada.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
My PR status expired when I was outside of Canada so I had to apply for a PRTD to enter Canada. They advised me to renew my PR card but what if I don’t and travel to a different country? Can I apply for a PRTD for the second time and enter Canada? Or will they reject my PRTD application because I didn’t renew my PR card when I came back to Canada?

I totally understand that I should renew my PR card but I am just wondering .. I couldn't find an information which states that they will reject my PRTD if I don't renew my PR card after getting a first PRTD and entrance to Canada.
Important detail here is whether you are in compliance with your residency obligation or not.

Assuming you are:
-first check validity on your existing PRTD - obviously if it's long enough, no problem and no need.
-yes, you can just apply for another PRTD. But the timing to get it issued may be longer than is convenient, and possibly quite long - the more so because you had a PRTD before and told to apply for a PR card and they may wonder why you didn't.
-So, apply for the PR card. If you must travel before you get it, apply for the PRTD as soon as you arrive wherever you travel to. They WILL look up the PR card application and it being in process (and possibly/hopefully already checked for the basics) will assist and probably speed up your PRTD app.

Of course, if you can travel through the USA, you can just come to border and present as a PR and you will be admitted.

byunbeee

Oct 1, 2023
Important detail here is whether you are in compliance with your residency obligation or not.

Assuming you are:
-first check validity on your existing PRTD - obviously if it's long enough, no problem and no need.
-yes, you can just apply for another PRTD. But the timing to get it issued may be longer than is convenient, and possibly quite long - the more so because you had a PRTD before and told to apply for a PR card and they may wonder why you didn't.
-So, apply for the PR card. If you must travel before you get it, apply for the PRTD as soon as you arrive wherever you travel to. They WILL look up the PR card application and it being in process (and possibly/hopefully already checked for the basics) will assist and probably speed up your PRTD app.

Of course, if you can travel through the USA, you can just come to border and present as a PR and you will be admitted.

Hi, Thank you so much for your response.
I am in compliance with my residency obligation.

I received PRTD in July but I heard that it is only for one time entrance. (So my previous PRTD is no longer valid.. correct me if I am wrong)

And according to your response, they probably won't reject my PRTD even if I didn't renew my PR card simply because I was lazy? (Honestly applying PRTD is much easier in my experience and I am planning to apply for a citizenship when I come back I don't really plan on renewing my PR card.. ) Plus, I don't want to pay for my PR renewal fee and PRTD fee.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I received PRTD in July but I heard that it is only for one time entrance. (So my previous PRTD is no longer valid.. correct me if I am wrong)
What do you mean 'you heard'? Look at it. Tell us what it says if you can't figure it out. Most of them are multi-entry.

And according to your response, they probably won't reject my PRTD even if I didn't renew my PR card simply because I was lazy? (Honestly applying PRTD is much easier in my experience and I am planning to apply for a citizenship when I come back I don't really plan on renewing my PR card.. ) Plus, I don't want to pay for my PR renewal fee and PRTD fee.
I don't believe it is grounds for refusal, but they can delay it. If you want to risk it for the $50 PR card renewal fee and laziness, that's up to you.

byunbeee

Oct 1, 2023
What do you mean 'you heard'? Look at it. Tell us what it says if you can't figure it out. Most of them are multi-entry.

I don't believe it is grounds for refusal, but they can delay it. If you want to risk it for the $50 PR card renewal fee and laziness, that's up to you.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/new-immigrants/pr-travel-document.html

it says A PRTD is normally only valid for one single entry. You should apply for a new PR card as soon as you resume residence in Canada.

so I just assumed mine is only valid for one single entry which I already used.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.