+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply for toddler Kids before ourself?

Dec 14, 2014
DO the PR Kids need to suffice 1460 number of days requirement?
My wife & I'm Indian Citizen while Both our Kids ( 3 and 6 Year old) are US Citizens, born in US. We all have PR and we are lining in Canada from last 500 Days in Canada.

I was told that Kids don't need to suffice the need of 1460 Days? Is it true? I tried searching but couldn't find anything as such. Let me know if anyone here has any information. Thanks in advance !

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
H1B_140approved_CanadaPR said:
My wife & I'm Indian Citizen while Both our Kids ( 3 and 6 Year old) are US Citizens, born in US. We all have PR and we are lining in Canada from last 500 Days in Canada.

I was told that Kids don't need to suffice the need of 1460 Days? Is it true? I tried searching but couldn't find anything as such. Let me know if anyone here has any information. Thanks in advance !
Of course not true,
"Minor children must: be under 18 years of age at the time of the application; be a permanent resident of Canada; have at least one parent (includes adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as the child (applying together as a family)."

It is clearly stated on the CIC website

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada

Here is the link: I am pasting few lines from it. Although read the information in the whole link.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-eligibility.asp

Time you have lived in Canada
You must have been physically present in Canada as a permanent resident for at least 1,460 days during the six years immediately before the date of your application. You must also be physically present for at least 183 days during each of four calendar years that are fully or partially within the six years immediately before the date of application. These requirements do not apply to children under 18.

Dec 14, 2014
Nevermind found it.. One of parents need to be citizen as per

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp#CIT0003E2

Who may use this application?
You may use this guide to apply for citizenship for your minor child. Read these instructions before you begin to fill out the application form. They contain important information.
Minor children must:
be under 18 years of age at the time of the application;
be a permanent resident of Canada;
have at least one parent (includes adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as the child (applying together as a family).

itsmyid

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Nevermind found it.. One of parents need to be citizen as per

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/CIT0003ETOC.asp#CIT0003E2

You may use this guide to apply for citizenship for your minor child. Read these instructions before you begin to fill out the application form. They contain important information.
Minor children must:
have at least one parent (includes adoptive parent) who is a Canadian citizen or who will become a citizen at the same time as the child (applying together as a family).
It makes absolutely no sense to give minors citizenship while their parents are not there to meet the requirement themselves - the government would have to be crazy to not realize that

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
From what I know from the website the parents don't have to be citizens but can apply for minor children at the same time they are applying for citizenship and the children do not need the residency requirement but they have to have PR. Very clear in the website

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
@ H1B_140approved_CanadaPR

You may be interpreting the statement in different way. Read the details below:

Scenario 1:

One of the parents is a citizen of Canada and can apply for the minor child's citizenship. The child does not have to meet the residency requirements.

Scenario 2

Both parents are PR and meet the residency requirements and other requirements and can apply for citizenship together along with their minor children. Even though the minor children don't need to complete the residency requirements even though the children have to meet other requirements however, the parents should meet the residency requirements and other requirements before applying for citizenship.
If parents don't meet the citizenship requirements, they can't get their citizenship as well as can't make their minor children get citizenship.

Basically, if one of the parents is not a citizen and if both parents are PR and haven't applied for citizenship together with the minor children and just want the minor children to become citizen then it is not possible.

subha_1962

Dec 20, 2013
You are right, one can`t apply for minor children by themselves if one parent is not a citizen, but either both or one parent can apply for the citizenship for the minor children together with their application, and the parents or parent has to have completed the residency requirement but the minor child need not have fulfilled the residency requirement.

The below is copy pasted from website

Before you apply

Minor children must:

cprak0

May 25, 2010
Ottawa
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
21-05-2011
If this bill is passed then yes, children can apply for citizenship regardless of parents status.

https://www.google.ca/amp/vancouversun.com/news/politics/senate-bill-would-let-children-become-citizens-without-their-parents/amp

spyfy

Champion Member
May 8, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
26-08-2015
cprak0 said:
If this bill is passed then yes, children can apply for citizenship regardless of parents status.

https://www.google.ca/amp/vancouversun.com/news/politics/senate-bill-would-let-children-become-citizens-without-their-parents/amp
Yes, if the amendment passes, then children can apply for citizenship, or more correctly: Their legal guardian(s) can apply on behalf of the child, no matter if the parents apply and/or are citizens already.

However, please note that in this case (application without the parents), the child must indeed meet the residency requirement (which will be 3 out of 5 years if this bill passes).

Under the new law (if it is passed in its current amended form) these are the paths to citizenship for a minor (= under 18)

- If the child has a Canadian citizen parent, their parents can apply for the child's citizenship without the child needing to meet the residency days. This is a grant according to section 5(2) of the Citizenship Act. This process exists already today.
- If the parents are applying for Citizenship (as PRs meeting the residency days), the parents can apply for the child's citizenship at the same time. Note that while the family applies for citizenship together, formally speaking once the application is finished, the parents receive citizenship first - according to the usual rules (residency days etc) described in section 5(1) of the citizenship act - and then, "one second later" the child gets citizenship according to section 5(2) which doesn't require residency days. This is possible because - as of one second ago - the child's parents are citizens and therefore the rules of 5(2) apply. This process exists already today.
- If the amended bill C-6 becomes law, any adult who can legally represent the child (that could be the parents or another legal guardian) can apply for the child's citizenship following the "normal" rules described in section 5(1) as an "independent application" if you want to call it that. But in that case, section 5(1) applies. That means the child has to meet the residency requirement!