+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply for SOWP before my WP extension is approved?

irnovo

Dec 17, 2015
Dear all,

Need you opinion/experience.

I am from Pakistan and I am currently on closed WP. I have now applied for 2-year extension of my closed WP 2 days ago with the same employer (that will be NOC 4011). We want to apply for SOWP for my wife and visitor visas for my two kids. I understand that wife is eligible for SOWP. I am wondering is it okay if they apply now instead of waiting for the approval of my WP application? The SOWP takes a long time from Pakistan. We want to save time (Missing my family big time!). What would you suggest? I know of one case where they did the same. They submitted the extended WP as case specific inquiry once it was approved (since WP extensions take few weeks as of current processing times as compared to SOWP application in Pakistan which takes few months).

Really appreciate your response on this.
Riz

fkl

VIP Member
Apr 25, 2013
Canada
Visa Office......
Inland / Previously Pak
NOC Code......
2173/4
NOTE: Replying to your last PM irnovo since your inbox appears full (may be you have very few public posts so only a limited number of PMs are saved)

You are most welcome.

The process has changed over the course of time. So i am not very sure what is the current practice in Pakistan. Also it is possible that you are seeing checklist from some random country with different practices.

But the term medical request letter, is a document FROM CIC asking the applicant to get a medical evaluation from IOM. You would take this to IOM in order to get medicals done.

This used to be sent from CIC to applicant after their application was in process for a while and used to be treated as a really positive sign on applicant likely being successful and was never part of original application.

In some countries e.g. India the norm was to submit upfront medicals for faster processing. So medical practitioners there would give the applicant a letter indicating that they have undergone medical exams and results will be provided to CIC directly from the doctor.

This same thing happens now in Express entry for PR i.e. you have to do medicals in advance for submission of PR application.

The medical letter you attach with application is proof of the fact that you have been evaluated by an authorized practitioner who would provide your results to CIC.

irnovo

Dec 17, 2015
fkl said:
NOTE: Replying to your last PM irnovo since your inbox appears full (may be you have very few public posts so only a limited number of PMs are saved)

You are most welcome.

The process has changed over the course of time. So i am not very sure what is the current practice in Pakistan. Also it is possible that you are seeing checklist from some random country with different practices.

But the term medical request letter, is a document FROM CIC asking the applicant to get a medical evaluation from IOM. You would take this to IOM in order to get medicals done.

This used to be sent from CIC to applicant after their application was in process for a while and used to be treated as a really positive sign on applicant likely being successful and was never part of original application.

In some countries e.g. India the norm was to submit upfront medicals for faster processing. So medical practitioners there would give the applicant a letter indicating that they have undergone medical exams and results will be provided to CIC directly from the doctor.

This same thing happens now in Express entry for PR i.e. you have to do medicals in advance for submission of PR application.

The medical letter you attach with application is proof of the fact that you have been evaluated by an authorized practitioner who would provide your results to CIC.
I see. Thank you for pointing this out. I overlooked that my inbox is full.
I have figured that out. Yes they ask to submit IMM5753E with the application if one has not done the upfront medical. Thank you very much!