+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply for post grade work permit once only?

doctorA

Jul 8, 2017
Hello,

I have recently completed my one-year diploma from the University of Ottawa Ontario. June 10, 2018, is my convocation. I am confused about post-grad work permit. Based on the one-year program I will get one-year post-grad work permit. And If I could not get a job in this one year and if I am going for masters or another one year program can I apply for the work permit again after masters?
I have heard one can apply for a work permit once only :(
I am thinking to apply for PR by Ontario experience class.
Looking forward to suggestions

Regards

doctorA

Jul 8, 2017
Yes you can only apply for pgwp once.
thank you, If I am going for another one year program will I get 3 years post grade work permit? What should be the gap between two programs is there any specific duration of the gap?

hardeep bal

May 5, 2014
punjab india
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
File Transfer...
27-10-2016
Med's Request
UpFront
Med's Done....
Yes
Passport Req..
UpFront
VISA ISSUED...
8-11-2016
LANDED..........
soon
How long is a post-graduation work permit valid?
How long the post-graduation work permit is valid for depends on the length of your study program. If your program was:

• less than eight months
    • you aren’t eligible for a PGWP
  • more than eight months but less than two years
    • your PGWP may be valid for up to the same length as your study program (for example, if you studied for nine months, a work permit may be issued for up to nine months)
  • two years or more
    • a PGWP may be issued for three years
  • more than one program
    • a PGWP may be valid for up to three years, for example, if you finished a diploma or degree from an eligible school in Canada, and within the next two years you get a one-year graduate degree or diploma from an eligible school in Canada.
Reference link:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/study-canada/work/after-graduation/eligibility.html

Reactions: doctorA

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
You should get three years by combining but unfortunately it depends a lot on the officer, if you search in here you will see there are people who got only 1 year PGWP after combining two 1 year programs while their friends who combined the same programs got 3 years.

Also don't wait for convocation you should be able to get a graduated letter way before that from your college.

doctorA

Jul 8, 2017
Thank you
You should get three years by combining but unfortunately it depends a lot on the officer, if you search in here you will see there are people who got only 1 year PGWP after combining two 1 year programs while their friends who combined the same programs got 3 years.

Also don't wait for convocation you should be able to get a graduated letter way before that from your college.
Thank you. when should I apply for PGWP? my study permit expires in August 2018. I am very worried to and confused If I am going for another one year program and if I don't get 3 years :( does this happens too. And finding a job in one year is very challenging.

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
Your study permit expires 90 days after you have completed your studies, regardless of what it says on the paper, if you are going to apply for PGWP you need to do so before that 90 days.

And completing your studies means when you receive confirmation that you have completed from college it is not your graduation/convocation day.

I would do the second program and hope for the best or appeal if you dont get 3 years.