+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can we apply dependent Work Permit while our PR application is being processed

chinrad

Nov 15, 2016
Hi everyone,

I have applied under Express Entry in September 2015 and then updated my application to add my spouse as second applicant on my application in February 2016. My application is still under review and CIC is not giving us any timeline.

Can my spouse apply for temporary work permit while we are being processed for Permanent Residence?

I will really appreciate your insight on this case.

Thank you very much.

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
chinrad said:
Hi everyone,

I have applied under Express Entry in September 2015 and then updated my application to add my spouse as second applicant on my application in February 2016. My application is still under review and CIC is not giving us any timeline.

Can my spouse apply for temporary work permit while we are being processed for Permanent Residence?

Thank you very much.
Being dependent applicant on your pr application does not qualify your spouse for work permit. However you didn't provide enough info on yourself, your spouse may still be eligible for spousal open work permit, depends on your status in Canada.

chinrad

Nov 15, 2016
I am on open work permit so I would think my spouse will qualify for dependent/spousal work permit. But since our PR application is in process; does this make a case of dual intent ?

"Dual intent is present when a foreign national who has applied for permanent residence in Canada also applies to enter Canada for a temporary period as a visitor, worker or student." - cic website

pfse

Mar 20, 2014
chinrad said:
I am on open work permit so I would think my spouse will qualify for dependent/spousal work permit. But since our PR application is in process; does this make a case of dual intent ?

"Dual intent is present when a foreign national who has applied for permanent residence in Canada also applies to enter Canada for a temporary period as a visitor, worker or student." - cic website
It doesn't really matter. WP is not guaranteed if VO thinks that applicant is not bona fide worker and dual intent is not something "illegal". In any case trying sowp is the only way to go...

jes_ON

VIP Member
Jun 22, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
New York
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-May-2010
AOR Received.
13-Aug-2010
File Transfer...
01-Mar-2011
Passport Req..
30-Jun-2011
VISA ISSUED...
12-Jul-2011 (received 25-Jul-2011)
LANDED..........
03-Sep-2011
chinrad said:
As previously stated, your wife's eligibility for a spouse open work permit depends on your work permit, not on your PR application.

If you have an open work permit (PGWP?), then your spouse can apply for the open work permit, IF you are currently employed full-time in a skilled occupation ( you have to provide proof, such as a letter from your employer, recent paystub,as well as a copy of your work permit). I believe you must still have at least 6 months left on your current work permit.

No problem with "dual intent." But she will still have to be able to convince the VO that she understands that she has to leave Canada upon expiry of her work permit (if she does not apply to extend and/or has not obtained other status).

Ush

Aug 9, 2016
Category........
AINP
NOC Code......
B
App. Filed.......
06-03-2017
AOR Received.
07-04-2017
jes_ON said:
As previously stated, your wife's eligibility for a spouse open work permit depends on your work permit, not on your PR application.

If you have an open work permit (PGWP?), then your spouse can apply for the open work permit, IF you are currently employed full-time in a skilled occupation ( you have to provide proof, such as a letter from your employer, recent paystub,as well as a copy of your work permit). I believe you must still have at least 6 months left on your current work permit.

No problem with "dual intent." But she will still have to be able to convince the VO that she understands that she has to leave Canada upon expiry of her work permit (if she does not apply to extend and/or has not obtained other status).
Hi Jes
My Husband received AINP and he is going to apply closed work permit extension.i'm in India ,i have 3 years work experience in India.Please suggest me in which type of work permit i can come to canada ? it would be great,if you send me the link

Thank You in Advance

saman.khoddam

Jan 27, 2018
Hi everyone,

Thank you very much.
Hi,

Did you apply for an open work permit for your spouse as a dependent who has been included in an application for PR?
If yes, what was the result?
What was your status?
Please help me.
I’m in same boat and no clear answer.I need your experience. Please.

NNVV

Jan 20, 2021
Hi,

Did you apply for an open work permit for your spouse as a dependent who has been included in an application for PR?
What was your status?
Please help me.

Hi Did you apply for your Spouse open work prmit? I am facing similar situation.

Please help me.

NNVV

Jan 20, 2021
Hi,

What was your status?
Please help me.

Hi...Can you please tell me what happen with your application? I am in same situation too...