+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can US citizen enter Canada with expired PR card that's in process of renewing?

kioplee

Mar 31, 2017
I'm a US citizen, but my Canada PR card expires mid April so last week I flew to Canada for a week just to renew my card. (I'm back in the US now since I've only been outside Canada for 850 days)
However, in May, I want to fly to my friend in Toronto to just visit for a week.
Can I fly to Canada and back to USA with just my USA passport and an expired PR card, but that is still in process of being renewed?

Also, will this cause any complication for when I fly back to Canada again around June to accept my new PR card?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
As a U.S. citizen, you can fly on a commercial carrier on the strength of your passport alone; no need to even worry about (or disclose to the airline) that you are also a Permanent Resident of Canada. The eTA requirements for those entering Canada do not apply to a U.S. citizen.

Once you arrive at YYZ airport, the CBSA officer that you encounter will be able to determine that you are a PR, even without a valid PR Card. It's not ideal, but they'll figure it out. I suggest avoiding the automated kiosk, since scanning your U.S. passport, but declaring that you are a resident of Canada, will confuse the system. As you likely already know, you would need to scan your valid PR Card not your U.S. Passport.

Is there someone living at the address where your card is being mailed to you? if there is, s/he could simply mail your new card to your U.S. address.

kioplee

Mar 31, 2017
Thank you for the fast reply!
So there should be no problem when I land and I go through by talking with people instead of using the machine, and explain to them I'm in Canada for a week to visit a friend? Also that I'm already in process of renewing my PR card?
Also, I thought it is not ideal to have the new PR be mailed to me since I should be the one receiving the card, which means I should be already in Canada when the card's sent.

CDNPR2014

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
kioplee said:
Thank you for the fast reply!
So there should be no problem when I land and I go through by talking with people instead of using the machine, and explain to them I'm in Canada for a week to visit a friend? Also that I'm already in process of renewing my PR card?
you shouldn't explain anything unless specifically asked. as a pr, there's no reason to explain why you are entering canada. IF they ask about your card, then explain you're in the process of renewing it. you can't be denied entry as a PR, your status isn't expired, only your card is. if they have concerns, all they can do is recommend an investigation into your residency requirements, which is being done anyway because you're renewing.

kioplee said:
Also, I thought it is not ideal to have the new PR be mailed to me since I should be the one receiving the card, which means I should be already in Canada when the card's sent.
it should be fine having the card mailed to you at someone else's canadian address and have that person mail it to you outside of canada when they receive it. this is quite common. they won't mail it in the name of the other person. they will mail it in your name to whatever canadian address you request them to mail it to. the cards a mailed by regular mail. it would be difficult for them to prove you weren't the one who physically received the card where they mail it.

kioplee

Mar 31, 2017
It's been a while, I just want to make sure before I book my ticket, do I need to bring any proof that my PR is being renewed?
So far I still have not receive a case number and I'm wondering if it is alright. And when I go and leave Canada, I go through as US tourist route.

shirinjnk

Nov 9, 2020
Hi,
This is a long shot but I was hoping to know if you had any problems at the border? I’m in a similar situation. Thanks!

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
This is a long shot but I was hoping to know if you had any problems at the border? I’m in a similar situation. Thanks!
You will not be denied entry into Canada by CBSA with an expired PR Card. You should be prepared to possibly be questioned and perhaps sent to Secondary Inspection, to explain why you did not renew the card. This is because only the CARD expires, not the STATUS, as long as you maintain the Residency Obligation for each rolling 5 year period.

FYI, this applies to all PR holders, not just those with U.S. citizenship.