+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can study while on Open Work Permit ?

cherti

Aug 25, 2015
Category........
QSW
Hi all ,

I am on a temporary work permit and my spouse has open work permit , we both are in Quebec Montreal now. Now my wife want to join Concordia university for a graduate degree, which will reduce tuition fees based on the below clause:

http://www.concordia.ca/admissions/tuition-fees/international-fee-exemptions.html
-------
International students whose spouse or parents hold work permits valid for working in Quebec with these conditions:
* Case Type must be one of these categories 07, 08, 20, 22, 23, 26, 52 or 53;
* the place of employment must be stated and must be in Quebec;
* the employer must be named.
-----

So it looks like she qualifies for reduced tuition fees, because me being her spouse and Case Type is 53.

But then comes the chicken and egg problem. A spouse(my wife) of a temporary work permit holder(me) gets an open work permit by default. University says reduced fees by the above clause.

But its written on the Open work permit that "unless authorized" cannot attend classes. Kind of looks like a chicken and egg problem here.

Has anyone been in similar situation ? How did you handle this ?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
She needs to obtain a study permit if the program is more than six months in length. She will pay international student fees.

If the entire program is less than six months in length, she can study using her open work permit.

MSAli

Sep 19, 2018
Hi all ,

I am on a temporary work permit and my spouse has open work permit , we both are in Quebec Montreal now. Now my wife want to join Concordia university for a graduate degree, which will reduce tuition fees based on the below clause:

http://www.concordia.ca/admissions/tuition-fees/international-fee-exemptions.html
-------
International students whose spouse or parents hold work permits valid for working in Quebec with these conditions:
* Case Type must be one of these categories 07, 08, 20, 22, 23, 26, 52 or 53;
* the place of employment must be stated and must be in Quebec;
* the employer must be named.
-----

So it looks like she qualifies for reduced tuition fees, because me being her spouse and Case Type is 53.

But then comes the chicken and egg problem. A spouse(my wife) of a temporary work permit holder(me) gets an open work permit by default. University says reduced fees by the above clause.

But its written on the Open work permit that "unless authorized" cannot attend classes. Kind of looks like a chicken and egg problem here.

Has anyone been in similar situation ? How did you handle this ?
What does Case type 53 mean?
Can any one help please.