+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can spouses with approved OWP travel to Canada with Student during Covid-19 restrictions?

Sad93

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
That it, SOWP need an offer, only the OWP without job offer
I don't know what is the difference exactly! When a spouse applied for the OWP at the same time with student, it will be SOWP or OWP? Someone told me inthis forum that they went to Canada last week with her spouse without any offer or excempttion letter, her spouseis also traveled with SOWP.

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
it would be a silly rule then, with no sense, but law is law
Did you attempt such scheme? Unless you did it and it worked, don’t spread misinformation. Unless they have LOI, they will not be boarded to the flight to Canada. Travel is not as easy now as you want to make it seem

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don't know what is the difference exactly! When a spouse applied for the OWP at the same time with student, it will be SOWP or OWP? Someone told me inthis forum that they went to Canada last week with her spouse without any offer or excempttion letter, her spouseis also traveled with SOWP.
It is really a OWP but people refer to it as SOWP. If a spouse travels with the international student when they first relocate there is currently no need for special permission.

Reactions: Sad93

Sad93

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
Did you attempt such scheme? Unless you did it and it worked, don’t spread misinformation. Unless they have LOI, they will not be boarded to the flight to Canada. Travel is not as easy now as you want to make it seem
I agree. Because I talked with the IRCC's call center and the lady told me that my spouse has to travel with me, or have a job offer or have a travel excemption letter. I asked if he can travel with eTA (tourist visa) and she said no! The situation during the lockdown is not the same as before.

Reactions: janesama

Sad93

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
It is really a OWP but people refer to it as SOWP. If a spouse travels with the international student when they first relocate there is currently no need for special permission.
The problem is they don't issue the visa for the spouses right now! I know more than 20 couples in this forum from all around the world who are in the same situation as me.

scaria197

Star Member
Jun 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bufallo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2010
Doc's Request.
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
IELTS Request
Scheduled
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
How, my spouse applied for the SOWP and I know that if he comes via eTC, it will be so hard to change the type of visa over there.
Sad93, as a visa exempt passport holder your spouse can apply Work Permit at POE. You just need to apply to get a travel exemption for temporary residents for family reunification

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
Sad93, as a visa exempt passport holder your spouse can apply Work Permit at POE. You just need to apply to get a travel exemption for temporary residents for family reunification
POE at the airport seemed closed when I flew to Vancouver. The spouse won’t be allowed to board a plane without a proof that they are exempt from travel restrictions

Reactions: Sad93

Sad93

Star Member
Jul 31, 2020
They won't even let him board the plane

hello@all

Apr 4, 2021
Hi there, did you raise a webform or email them for a travel exemption letter. My spouse and I have visa approved, my spouse has an OWP however, we haven't received any exemption letter. Is this required for entry? We are planning to travel by mid of November. Please help!
Hi I same a similar situation as yours now and we haven't received any exemption letter. What is your status now. Were you able to travel with your spouse without exemption letter or you got one after request . Would be very helpful if you shared your scenario. Thanks a lot

hello@all

Apr 4, 2021
Hi All,

Our family application is approved for all individuals as we applied together. Please wait for some more time, your spouse will be approved too in a day or two. Once your spouse and a kid are approved, you all can fly together without any travel authorization just with a condition that your DLI should be on the readiness plan approved list. Cheers!
Hi I same a similar situation as yours now (we applied together and was issued SP and SOWP) but we haven't received any exemption letter. What is your status now. Were you able to travel with your spouse without exemption letter or you got one after request . Would be very helpful if you shared your scenario. Thanks a lot