+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can spouses with approved OWP travel to Canada with Student during Covid-19 restrictions?

DianaFilip

Star Member
Jul 14, 2020
Hi All,

I am looking for information regarding SOWP, we applied our Visa's together. SP for my husband and SOWP for me.
If our visas are approved, are both of us allowed to go to Canada under current situation?

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
Hi All,

I am looking for information regarding SOWP, we applied our Visa's together. SP for my husband and SOWP for me.
If our visas are approved, are both of us allowed to go to Canada under current situation?
does your husband have a job offer? If not he miiiight require authorization unless IRCC will release something specific for accompanying spouses tomorrow

Rajni1488

Star Member
Aug 27, 2020
does your husband have a job offer? If not he miiiight require authorization unless IRCC will release something specific for accompanying spouses tomorrow
The should not be any problem. When you launch your application together, it clearly means that you need support of your spouse. If student is allowed to travel, there is no way ircc Canada will stop spouse to come. It will become ethical issue. Ircc will never issue you ppr until both are not allowed to travel. How can ircc separate a family who applied together? There are thousands of frauds who will send their Wife first for study and then husband will apply visa after for easy entry. Ircc can very well delay spouse visa in this case. However, if applied and got approved together, ircc has no rights to separate one.

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
The should not be any problem. When you launch your application together, it clearly means that you need support of your spouse. If student is allowed to travel, there is no way ircc Canada will stop spouse to come. It will become ethical issue. Ircc will never issue you ppr until both are not allowed to travel. How can ircc separate a family who applied together? There are thousands of frauds who will send their Wife first for study and then husband will apply visa after for easy entry. Ircc can very well delay spouse visa in this case. However, if applied and got approved together, ircc has no rights to separate one.
I want to believe in that too, since I will super hate to be away from my husband again

Reactions: Sad93

ana2233

Aug 13, 2020
Hi All,

Yes, both of you should be allowed; from ircc website -- 'With the amended travel restrictions, immediate family members may be able to accompany an international student to Canada if their reason for travel is non-optional or non-discretionary, such as getting established in Canada in support of the principal applicant’s study program. This could include a spouse or common-law partner, a dependant, or in the case of a minor child who will be studying in Canada, a parent or legal guardian' https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/10/update-on-travel-restriction-exemptions-for-international-students.html

janesama

Aug 14, 2020
Category........
WP
Job Offer........
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-04-2022
Med's Done....
13-08-2020
LANDED..........
16-11-2020
Yes, both of you should be allowed; from ircc website -- 'With the amended travel restrictions, immediate family members may be able to accompany an international student to Canada if their reason for travel is non-optional or non-discretionary, such as getting established in Canada in support of the principal applicant’s study program. This could include a spouse or common-law partner, a dependant, or in the case of a minor child who will be studying in Canada, a parent or legal guardian' https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/10/update-on-travel-restriction-exemptions-for-international-students.html
People on the forum were super negative about the "may" part, once again, I certainly hope there would be concrete exceptions introduced for spouses since I have also a spouse and want to stay in rented out apartment together :)

ana2233

Aug 13, 2020
People on the forum were super negative about the "may" part, once again, I certainly hope there would be concrete exceptions introduced for spouses since I have also a spouse and want to stay in rented out apartment together :)
I think this part is intended exactly to show that those with OWPs will be able to travel with their spouses, as they obviously have a purpose to 'support' the international students. The tricky thing here is to actually get those WPs now:)

Reactions: Sad93 and janesama

International_Student

Star Member
Sep 30, 2020
Hey guys, does anyone know if a spouse has an OWP and an offer letter, can he travel? I'm the primary applicant with student visa but my university has mentioned that it'll be on DLI list only in November and my spouse has to join in the first week of November! :(

gurpreetbal

Star Member
May 15, 2018
Chandigarh
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
23-09-2019
With the amended travel restrictions, immediate family members may be able to accompany an international student to Canada if their reason for travel is non-optional or non-discretionary, such as getting established in Canada in support of the principal applicant’s study program. This could include a spouse or common-law partner, a dependant, or in the case of a minor child who will be studying in Canada, a parent or legal guardian.

Like all travellers to Canada, international students and accompanying family members will be subject to all public health measures, including the mandatory 14-day quarantine period upon arrival in Canada.

Source: https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/news/2020/10/update-on-travel-restriction-exemptions-for-international-students.html

hope it helps

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Many spouses were denied entry because their travel was viewed as non-discretionary. Canada is trying ro minimize how many people enter the country at the moment. Would really suggest people apply for special authorization to guarantee that there will be no confusion and they know 100% that they can go to Canada.

Reactions: ShaUCan

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hey guys, does anyone know if a spouse has an OWP and an offer letter, can he travel? I'm the primary applicant with student visa but my university has mentioned that it'll be on DLI list only in November and my spouse has to join in the first week of November! :(
You should be travelling with or before your spouse since your move to Canada is based on your study permit.

scaria197

Star Member
Jun 8, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Bufallo
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
08-06-2010
Doc's Request.
Waiting
AOR Received.
Waiting
IELTS Request
Scheduled
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
Many spouses were denied entry because their travel was viewed as non-discretionary. Canada is trying ro minimize how many people enter the country at the moment. Would really suggest people apply for special authorization to guarantee that there will be no confusion and they know 100% that they can go to Canada.
it's very sad if that is the case. If a family travels where one parent and the kids have a study permit and the officer decides to not allow the other parent on grounds their coming along is non-essential. So separating one parent and expect the others to just kiss good bye and walk out of the airport? That is harsh.

ana2233

Aug 13, 2020
Got the answer - after requesting passports, ircc sent to my husband a letter called 'Authorization for Exemption from COVID-19 Canadian Travel Restrictions' which he must present before boarding the flight, so immediate relatives basically can enter Canada as well with this kind of doc

We didn't apply for this authorization, but that's what the letter says - "Your request to be exempted from the current restrictions to travel to Canada listed in the Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights to Canada due to COVID – 19, no.3, under section 3(1)(b) of the Order in Council, Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Prohibition of Entry into Canada from any country other than the United States) has been approved."

It also says "You must present this email when checking in for your flight, or you may not be allowed to board your flight to Canada. You must also present this email upon entry to Canada"

Papz

Sep 23, 2020
Got the answer - after requesting passports, ircc sent to my husband a letter called 'Authorization for Exemption from COVID-19 Canadian Travel Restrictions' which he must present before boarding the flight, so immediate relatives basically can enter Canada as well with this kind of doc

We didn't apply for this authorization, but that's what the letter says - "Your request to be exempted from the current restrictions to travel to Canada listed in the Interim Order to Prevent Certain Persons from Boarding Flights to Canada due to COVID – 19, no.3, under section 3(1)(b) of the Order in Council, Minimizing the Risk of Exposure to COVID-19 in Canada Order (Prohibition of Entry into Canada from any country other than the United States) has been approved."

It also says "You must present this email when checking in for your flight, or you may not be allowed to board your flight to Canada. You must also present this email upon entry to Canada"
Hi Anna2233, did you and spouse apply for the visa together ?