+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can sponsor move outside of Canada after applying for outland spousal sponsorship?

Wind3041

Sep 10, 2022
Hi everyone,
I'm a Canadian citizen. I'm preparing a spousal PR application for my wife, who is residing outside of Canada.

However, I'm planning to move to the U.S. in the next few months to work and reunite with my wife there.

In this case, can I apply as a citizen inside Canada now and update my application later?
Or should I wait until I move to the U.S. and apply as a citizen living outside of Canada later?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
In this case, can I apply as a citizen inside Canada now and update my application later?
Or should I wait until I move to the U.S. and apply as a citizen living outside of Canada later?
As a citizen, you can sponsor from outside Canada. You'll need to show intent to return to Canada.

My suggestion is that probably ok to apply now from within Canada, but include information (eg in letter of explanation) that you will be joining spouse for a period AND include the intent to return info.

Note, the instructions in the forms are not 'designed' for this scenario, they really only address applying from within Canada or Canadians living abroad sponsoring spouse. Hence the need for letter of explanation.

Reactions: Wind3041

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi everyone,
I'm a Canadian citizen. I'm preparing a spousal PR application for my wife, who is residing outside of Canada.

However, I'm planning to move to the U.S. in the next few months to work and reunite with my wife there.

Do you intend to move back to Canada once your spouse has received PR? You will be expected to show proof that you are going to move back. Due to many not moving back you now need concrete proof that you will relocate to get PR. Things like job in Canada, proof that you given notice to your US employer, housing in Canada secured/given notice or selling housing in the US, etc. Proof is often asked for before approval is given.

Reactions: Wind3041

Wind3041

Sep 10, 2022
Thank you both for your response.

We do intend to return to Canada after my spouse received PR.

I haven't looked much into proof of returning to Canada. I originally thought that a letter of explanation of our plan in Canada (e.g. what would me and my spouse do, and where would we stay) + letter from family would suffice. But it sounds like things have gotten more complicated.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thank you both for your response.

We do intend to return to Canada after my spouse received PR.

I haven't looked much into proof of returning to Canada. I originally thought that a letter of explanation of our plan in Canada (e.g. what would me and my spouse do, and where would we stay) + letter from family would suffice. But it sounds like things have gotten more complicated.
Many weren’t returning to Canada permanently so yes you need more concrete proof now. Fine to live in the US if you are a citizen but you’ll need to update your address if you move and have applied from Canada first.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Some things that I also included to prove return to Canada were small like getting a few quotes from a transport/moving/cargo company and I created an actual "plan" type series of documents pretty much outlining my "expected" plan. Tell them where you intend to say or as others have mentioned your property selling in US/owned in Canada.

I agree with the others here where you might be scrutinized further if you are putting down a US residence with your spouse from somewhere else. (Not entirely sure by your OP which is her country of origin.)

Just detail as much as possible as you know every time, they will stop to question it will potentially add some time onto your application process.

Hope it works out for you :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
It rather depends on your specifics - if you're only going to US for several months and keeping an apartment, job to return to, things like that, it won't be too difficult to show. You will already have things like bank accounts, phone number (I presume), etc. You can supplement with arrangements for spouse as others have stated (job search, qualfications, whatever).

Personally I'd guess that if you've been working up until departure and have even a modicum of serious plans you'll be able to provide. It's not so much the case of you living outside Canada for decades.

I also suspect that there is a bit less scrutiny for applicants who are resident in USA (fewer outright cases of shopping for residence).

That said you have not been clear about 'working' in USA (eg remote or permanent position) and if it looks like you've fully settled in USA and spouse is only there for a bit as a visitor, these comments may not be on the mark.

Reactions: nedvert