+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone with Open Work Permit enter Canada?

PK04

May 14, 2020
Hey everyone.
As the title suggests, I am an open work permit holder. I finished my Masters from Canada from 2018 to 2020. I applied for my PGWP in February 2020 and received it in May 2020 while I was still in Canada. But I left Canada to come back to my home country in June 2020. I intend to return to Canada but I don't have a job offer. I have a valid Open Work Permit and TRV. Am I exempt from the travel restrictions? Quick response would be highly appreciated. Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
If you have a job offer or can prove you normally live in Canada (rent/utilities paid while out of country), you might be allowed to enter. You need to book 3 day hotel quarantine and have 11 day plan.

Reactions: PK04

PK04

May 14, 2020
If you have a job offer or can prove you normally live in Canada (rent/utilities paid while out of country), you might be allowed to enter. You need to book 3 day hotel quarantine and have 11 day plan.
I see. If I show that I was receiving tax refunds for HST/GST and OTB, can that be used as a proof that I normally live in Canada?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I see. If I show that I was receiving tax refunds for HST/GST and OTB, can that be used as a proof that I normally live in Canada?
Tax refunds aren’t what you need. You need to prove you “normally live in Canada.” This is usually proven through residence. You can try.

iqbalsingh9

Mar 5, 2020
I received my OWP and I have a job offer. But I'd like to know of how do I present that to IRCC? Do I just bring the job offer document with me and show upon landing in Canada along with my POE letter. Or do I need to upload the job offer document somewhere?

PK04

May 14, 2020
I received my OWP and I have a job offer. But I'd like to know of how do I present that to IRCC? Do I just bring the job offer document with me and show upon landing in Canada along with my POE letter. Or do I need to upload the job offer document somewhere?
Hey man. How did you go about getting a job from outside Canada? Any pointers?

iqbalsingh9

Mar 5, 2020
Hey man. How did you go about getting a job from outside Canada? Any pointers?
I'm getting an internal transfer from my company, from HK office to Canada office. But I'm confused if I can land in Canada and go past immigration if I show them the letter of employment or not. Because pre-covid, OWP didn't require to have a valid job offer but now they do and it's not quite clear on the IRCC website on how such job offer needs to be proved.

PK04

May 14, 2020
Btw did a PGWP/Open Work Permit holder require a job offer to enter Canada before the travel restrictions as well?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Have you notified CRA that you have left the country and determined if you are still a tax resident? If you have been out of the country and are no longer a tax resident for over a year you shouldn't be receiving tax credits. You will end up having to pay back anything you received incorrectly.

PK04

May 14, 2020
Have you notified CRA that you have left the country and determined if you are still a tax resident? If you have been out of the country and are no longer a tax resident for over a year you shouldn't be receiving tax credits. You will end up having to pay back anything you received incorrectly.
It'll be year in a couple of days since I have been outside Canada. How do I notify CRA? What do you mean by receiving incorrect credits?

divya_kp

Mar 4, 2021
Hey everyone.
As the title suggests, I am an open work permit holder. I finished my Masters from Canada from 2018 to 2020. I applied for my PGWP in February 2020 and received it in May 2020 while I was still in Canada. But I left Canada to come back to my home country in June 2020. I intend to return to Canada but I don't have a job offer. I have a valid Open Work Permit and TRV. Am I exempt from the travel restrictions? Quick response would be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Hello. I'm in the same situation. Valid pgwp with trv but outside canada for 6 months. But I still pay my wifi and mobile bills. I've subleased my apartment though but the rental agreement is on my name. Will that serve the purpose? were you able to enter canada? Thanks in advance.