+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone who has come to Canada as a dependent sponsor their partner?

SoithAsalOlc

Aug 20, 2018
Hello all,

My partners daughter (24F) recently (1 year) came to Canada as a dependent, sponsored by her father who has PR. She has recently started dating someone from the UK who has overstayed their 2 year visa. They have decided to live together and she has decided to sponsor him.

My partner is upset by this decision, since they really don't know each other (dating 6 months), and he is worried that she is being taken advantage of. This is both of their first big relationships, and while she has dated before the boy never has. He is also worried that if their relationship ends his daughter will have no way to pay for her apartment or anything else on her own, and he will be responsible for paying for her as her sponsor. She also has some mental health concerns, and he is really worried if the relationship doesn't go well she will get depressed and stop working or taking care of herself. He makes enough to survive himself, but he does not currently make enough to pay half of her rent or bills. He also does not currently live in the same city as her, so that added distance has caused further worries for him.

Is she allowed to sponsor this boy, even though she came here as a dependent? Also, what is the recourse if things go south and my partner cannot pay for her bills as her sponsor?

Thank you!

Last edited:

Kaibigan

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2020
Hello all,

My partners daughter (24F) recently (1 year) came to Canada as a dependent, sponsored by her father who has PR. She has recently started dating someone from the UK who has overstayed their 2 year visa. They have decided to live together and she has decided to sponsor him.

My partner is upset by this decision, since they really don't know each other (dating 6 months), and he is worried that she is being taken advantage of. This is both of their first big relationships, and while she has dated before the boy never has. He is also worried that if their relationship ends his daughter will have no way to pay for her apartment or anything else on her own, and he will be responsible for paying for her as her sponsor. She also has some mental health concerns, and he is really worried if the relationship doesn't go well she will get depressed and stop working or taking care of herself. He makes enough to survive himself, but he does not currently make enough to pay half of her rent or bills. He also does not currently live in the same city as her, so that added distance has caused further worries for him.

Is she allowed to sponsor this boy, even though she came here as a dependent? Also, what is the recourse if things go south and my partner cannot pay for her bills as her sponsor?

Thank you!
I suspect there is no prohibition against her being a sponsor. A few minutes of reading here suggests she probably can:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

Others here will know for sure and will probably confirm one way or the other.

Sadly, I see nothing on the page to which I have made reference worded to the effect that: "If you are an entitled, worthless loser, you may never sponsor anyone." This girl falls into that category quite nicely. I read your previous thread about her - not wanting to come to this "shitty" country; not wanting to work, saying it was up to her father to support her, etc. And now this?!!! She wants to be used as a pawn by some overstayer who should properly be expelled from Canada? It sounds like they will make a wonderful contributing couple to Canadian society and a tribute to the merit of Canada's immigration rules.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello all,

Thank you!
She can sponsor him provided they are either married or common law and provided she is not on social assistance.

Your partner is not obligated to pay her bills. He is only obligated to repay any social assistance she takes after becoming a PR and while he is still financially responsible for her per the sponsorship agreement.