+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone please share experience of landing with renewed passport and PR visa on Old passport?

shaibal

Apr 12, 2018
I am seeing two kinds of posts, some people saying its fine to carry both passports in this case and some other people saying they got instruction from CIC to send all passports and COPR copies for re-stamping.

Would really appreciate if someone in similar situation could share his/her experience. Thank you in advance.

mr.preetsingh

VIP Member
Oct 26, 2017
Canada
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
14-04-2018
Doc's Request.
NA
Nomination.....
NA
AOR Received.
14-04-2018
IELTS Request
NA
File Transfer...
NA
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
07-04-2018
Interview........
NA
Passport Req..
19-06-2018
VISA ISSUED...
25-06-2018
LANDED..........
06-09-2018
I am seeing two kinds of posts, some people saying its fine to carry both passports in this case and some other people saying they got instruction from CIC to send all passports and COPR copies for re-stamping.

Would really appreciate if someone in similar situation could share his/her experience. Thank you in advance.
You should send an email to CIC about it and they will reply with a new PPR email.

There is an email address mentioned in your PPR email on which you can respond.

Reactions: shaibal

shaibal

Apr 12, 2018
Thank you for your suggestion, I called CIC today about this and the lady on phone asked me about what stream I applied to, told her that it was express entry FSW-outland. She said I can just carry the old and new passport for landing. I was happy to hear that, then she hung up and sent me the following email.

-----------------------------

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

Valid Temporary resident visa in an expired passport

Your expired passport contains a valid Temporary Resident Visa?

You may continue using the visa until it expires.

When seeking entry into Canada, you can present both the renewed passport and the expired one containing the valid entry visa.

For more information on Port of Entry Examinations, please see the Operational Manual Enforcement (ENF 4, section 13.18).​

-------------------------------

So I am back to square one, not sure if she thought mine was a TR visa or if TR and PR visa have same rules. My 2 hour phone call was completely in vain.

muz

Star Member
Dec 29, 2007
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
02-10-2018
Thank you for your suggestion, I called CIC today about this and the lady on phone asked me about what stream I applied to, told her that it was express entry FSW-outland. She said I can just carry the old and new passport for landing. I was happy to hear that, then she hung up and sent me the following email.

Good day,

Thank you for contacting Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada. As discussed, you will find below complementary information to our conversation:

When seeking entry into Canada, you can present both the renewed passport and the expired one containing the valid entry visa.

For more information on Port of Entry Examinations, please see the Operational Manual Enforcement (ENF 4, section 13.18).​

So I am back to square one, not sure if she thought mine was a TR visa or if TR and PR visa have same rules. My 2 hour phone call was completely in vain.
Hi

I am not an expert but just in my view you can carry both passports as long as your expired passport do not have a cancellation stamp.

I have expired passport with valid US visa and it will be fine to travel with it because its not a cancelled passport.

Reactions: shaibal

shaibal

Apr 12, 2018
Hi

I am not an expert but just in my view you can carry both passports as long as your expired passport do not have a cancellation stamp.

I have expired passport with valid US visa and it will be fine to travel with it because its not a cancelled passport.
Thank you for your reply, same feeling here, have been using my US student visa in my expired passport for several years. But this being a single entry PR visa in a different country, not so confident. Which is why I am looking for someone's experience in Canada. I will probably call CIC again soon.

shaibal

Apr 12, 2018

Good day,

Posting this update in case someone else is in similar situation.

I spoke to another CIC agent today, she also said I am fine carrying the new passport, old passport with visa and COPR document while landing. The information the previous agent sent about TRV also applies in this case, according to this agent this PR visa is also considered a TRV when I land, it becomes null after the immigration process. Hope this helps, thank you.

raselhasan

Aug 26, 2016
Posting this update in case someone else is in similar situation.

I spoke to another CIC agent today, she also said I am fine carrying the new passport, old passport with visa and COPR document while landing. The information the previous agent sent about TRV also applies in this case, according to this agent this PR visa is also considered a TRV when I land, it becomes null after the immigration process. Hope this helps, thank you.
Hi @shaibal Hope you have already landed with your renewed passport. Can you share your experience.

raselhasan

Aug 26, 2016
Hey, I have already landed with the renewed passport along with the old one with the visa. There was no issue. Good luck.
Hi @shaibal

Many thanks for your feedback. Now feeling much relieved. Can you please answer few queries

1. Did you complete initial identify through Primary Inspection Kiosk? If yes, which passport did you scanned old or renewed ?
2. If you complete primary immigration through officer, which passport you showed ( Old or New)
3. Did you placed both the passports to CBSA officer along with the kiosk receipt?
4. Did they queried why you renewed your passport ?
5. Did your passport stamped with arrival mark? ( old or new)

Would appreciate, if you spend few more minutes to answer above questions.

scargee

May 19, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
29-10-2018
AOR Received.
22-11-2018
Hi @shaibal

Many thanks for your feedback. Now feeling much relieved. Can you please answer few queries

1. Did you complete initial identify through Primary Inspection Kiosk? If yes, which passport did you scanned old or renewed ?
2. If you complete primary immigration through officer, which passport you showed ( Old or New)
3. Did you placed both the passports to CBSA officer along with the kiosk receipt?

Have you landed too? Can you share your experience in detail? Thanks.

raselhasan

Aug 26, 2016
Have you landed too? Can you share your experience in detail? Thanks.
Hi, I landed April 2019 with my renewed passport and VISA stamped in old passport, there was no problem at all and I completed immigration formalities smoothly, CBSA officer just noted my new passport. But please note, the passport which has VISA stamped should be valid at the time of landing ( I mean physically intact, not voided, not mutilated not expired). Hope this clarifies.

scargee

May 19, 2016
Category........
PNP
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
Nomination.....
29-10-2018
AOR Received.
22-11-2018
Hi, I landed April 2019 with my renewed passport and VISA stamped in old passport, there was no problem at all and I completed immigration formalities smoothly, CBSA officer just noted my new passport. But please note, the passport which has VISA stamped should be valid at the time of landing ( I mean physically intact, not voided, not mutilated not expired). Hope this clarifies.
Thanks for replying! Our passports will expire in 2021, but we're planning to renew the passport because it costs less in our home country..

Thanks again!:)

goldyrokz

Mar 16, 2019
Hi @shaibal

@raselhasan since you have already landed, would really appreciate if you could answer the questions that you have raised here based on your landing experience!!
Also COPR would still have had old passport number as travelling document number, so was it an issue during the landing??
I have renewed my passport and am flying on 4 Feb 2020, so your replies will really help me.....

Richa chhabra

Apr 27, 2021
Hi, wouldn’t the old passport have a stamp stating cancelled on it ? And punched as well? Was it the same case for you ? As in india that’s how cancellation of old passport is done, can this create any issue?

raselhasan

Aug 26, 2016
Hi, wouldn’t the old passport have a stamp stating cancelled on it ? And punched as well? Was it the same case for you ? As in india that’s how cancellation of old passport is done, can this create any issue?
I think, if they punch it then it will invalidate your old passport. In Bangladesh usually they do punch the old passport while delivering the new book, but If the old passport has any valid VISA stamp they don't do the punch upon request of passport holder . I would request you to check with the passport issuing authority.