+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone please evaluate or comment about my plan moving to canada?

GD4985

Mar 8, 2015
Hi there, so just like everyone in here, i have a dream to move to Canada. I already have plan in my mind, and if someone kindly enough evaluate, i would be grateful. So heres my plan

1.I am now 27 years old from Indonesia, in the final step of my master and hopefully soon will graduate. So my first plan is to SAVE and have experience. Im planning to work for another 5 years to gain experience and save money until i have around 70,000 CAD.

2. in my 32 or 33 years of age, im going to apply for another master in Canada (im thinking Simon Fraser, Manitoba or Saskatchewan) major in Clinical Psychology. Hopefully ill get accepted in one of them.

3. After i get accepted ill apply for "STUDENT VISA". This is the part that im a little bit confuse. From the website "canadavisa.com", i saw section that there is a possibility that my study permit wont be accepted since they are afraid that im not going to go back after my permit ends.

From what i understand, they are afraid that im going to "overstay" illegally after the permit ends right? But it does not mean that i cant stay in Canada after graduation right? I do can apply for "Post Graduation Work Permit" if i want to stay in Canada.. am i correct?

So my point is, i can try to immigrate to Canada through Student Visa track right? The dont have to worry that im going to overstay in Canada, i am a very rule conscious person, as much as i want to live in Canada, i will obey rule and go back to my country if i can not get legal permit to live in Canada.

4. So after i graduate, i will apply for "Post Graduation Work Permit" and try to find a job.

5. After i got the job, i will try to get Permanent Residence and later citizenship.

So basically thats it, what do you guys think? Can someone help me in point number 3? im still confuse about that part...

Thank you so much

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Your plan is good and could work.

As for overstay, immigration doesn't want to grant temporary visas to people they think may overstay when at some point their permit is no longer extended. It is therefore up to you to show that you haven't overstayed your visas before, that you have good future opportunties and obligations in your home country and therefore you would return there.

Once you are in Canada with a study permit, you can get a post-grad permit after your studies and this will help you find an employer and qualify for immigration.

It is better that you take a 2 year course because then you can get up to a 3 year work permit which will buy you time to manage your immigration before it expires.

GD4985

Mar 8, 2015
Leon said:
Your plan is good and could work.

As for overstay, immigration doesn't want to grant temporary visas to people they think may overstay when at some point their permit is no longer extended. It is therefore up to you to show that you haven't overstayed your visas before, that you have good future opportunties and obligations in your home country and therefore you would return there.

Once you are in Canada with a study permit, you can get a post-grad permit after your studies and this will help you find an employer and qualify for immigration.

It is better that you take a 2 year course because then you can get up to a 3 year work permit which will buy you time to manage your immigration before it expires.
Hi Leon, thank you very much for your reply... it means a lot to me...

So basically the "going home" thing its more on if i dont get the "Post Graduation Work Permit" i can still go home and live safely in my own country. But there is no agreement that i "MUST" go back after i get my degree and "WONT" be able to try to get my permanent residence (Im really sorry if i keep asking this, i just want to be sure).

So what will i say when the student visa interviewer ask me: "Are you going home to your country after graduate?" ??
Can i say: I will try to stay there and live there legally using "Post Graduation Work Permit", but if i dont get it, i will definitely go back home. ?? Is that a good answer?

About the master thing, basically my plan is to take both master and PhD, because usually is a package deal for 5 years. Usually 1 year tuition cost around 12k - 13k CAD. So by saving up to +/- 70,000 CAD i could at least pay my tuition. As for living, i will stay in a very cheap apartment (or what-so-ever) that will cost me around +/-500 CAD/ month... and i will work part time for living cost.

what do you think? sound do-able? thanks in advance...

MilesAway

Champion Member
Jul 26, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-09-2014
Doc's Request.
09-04-2015
AOR Received.
12-11-2014
File Transfer...
30-10-2014
Med's Done....
26-08-2014
Passport Req..
23-04-2015
VISA ISSUED...
07-05-2015
LANDED..........
04-06-2015
They don't usually do interviews for student visas, so your scenario doesn't really apply.

Tuition fees are certainly not cheap. Some programs allow you to get an on-campus work permit, but you'd have to read more about that, I'm not sure. That permit would allow you to work part-time on campus during the school year, and full-time during breaks. After graduation, you could get the Post-Graduate Work Permit.

GD4985

Mar 8, 2015
MilesAway said:
They don't usually do interviews for student visas, so your scenario doesn't really apply.

Tuition fees are certainly not cheap. Some programs allow you to get an on-campus work permit, but you'd have to read more about that, I'm not sure. That permit would allow you to work part-time on campus during the school year, and full-time during breaks. After graduation, you could get the Post-Graduate Work Permit.
hi there MilesAway, thanks for the reply...
okay so far, it seems that i understand it...

and thanks for the tuition and work permit suggestion, i dont understand about the on-campus off-campus permit yet, ill study on that. However i kind of certain about the tuition, even simon fraser has a new rules that say even international students pay the same amount like Canadians, which around 6 - 7 k CAD a year...

One last question, if they will not interview me, how do they assess about my willingness to go home after the permit ends?
Any tips on how to show them that i am a rule obedient and will not overstay?

leon said that:

Leon said:
well i can show that ive never overstayed before, its in my data i guess... But how about the other one "good future opportunities and obligation"? how do i prove that?

thank you very much, any other suggestions are welcomed and appreciated...

nb: if my question is "over-asked" could someone kindly enough give me a link to the appropriate topic regarding my question? i tried to use search function but did not success, maybe i dont what sentences to put in there...
thank you... :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Future opportunies = show that you can get a good job at home with your Canadian education
Obligations = show that you will have to return to Indonesia to take care of your parents / grandparents, that you will inherit some assets there etc.

Nobody will hold you to it that you said you will return as long as you continue to stay in Canada legally with the proper permits. Immigration just shouldn't think that you will try to stay in Canada at any cost because you are desperate to get away from your country.

You generally do not need a work permit to work on campus but not all colleges may offer on campus work. Such work could include working at their library or something like that. After 6 months of studying, you can apply for an off campus permit allowing you to work at any job along with your studies up to 20 hrs. a week or full time during weeks that you don't have classes. You can use this opportunity to earn extra money working at any job or to try to find work related to your studies which may help you get a job more easily after you graduate. With an off campus permit, you can bridge the time between graduation and getting a post grad permit and start working full time right away.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Leon said:
After 6 months of studying, you can apply for an off campus permit allowing you to work at any job along with your studies up to 20 hrs. a week or full time during weeks that you don't have classes.
This rule changed in June last year. International students can now engage in off campus work as soon as they start their studies (no requirement to wait six months).

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-changes.asp

aana

Nov 15, 2010
Get your residence and then pursue studies. Student benefits are excellent. Also study in a school that offers coop, that way you can get useful work experience that can launch you into the Canadian market. Good luck.

GD4985

Mar 8, 2015
Leon said:
Future opportunies = show that you can get a good job at home with your Canadian education
Obligations = show that you will have to return to Indonesia to take care of your parents / grandparents, that you will inherit some assets there etc.
Hi leon, thanks again for replying and delineating the your previous answer. I do have another question regarding the first paragraph of your latest answer.

Okay, i do know what is future opportunities and obligation. Good news is, i have all of that. Having canadian degree will definitely help me to find job in the future. Indonesians (especially education field) like people who have degree from first world country. In term of obligation, i do have an aging single mother who need to be looked out for, although i have two other sibling to do that, so i dont really have to worry about that. i also have inheritance from her.

so my question is: How do i prove that? Will a simple motivation letter or statement letter cover that? A letter made by me that says all of that (good job opportunities, old mother, etc) will do? OR i have to provide a formal document to prove that? if so, what kind of formal document? do i have to ask help from lawyer or things like that?

i hope you still willing to answer me back... Other are also welcome to answer...

scylla said:
This rule changed in June last year. International students can now engage in off campus work as soon as they start their studies (no requirement to wait six months).
YEAY!! what a good news for me, i am a non picky hardworking person, ill do anything legally there to get me money. Thanks for the information scylla

aana said:
Get your residence and then pursue studies. Student benefits are excellent. Also study in a school that offers coop, that way you can get useful work experience that can launch you into the Canadian market. Good luck.
hi aana, thanks for your suggestion, however i thought about that, but i think i cant afford to do that... i talked to some people that use that kind of track. Usually they have to be rich (because they need to provide that they have money to buy apartments or any of that, able to live there etc) or somesort of lucky (example: their profession are needed by Canada). First of all, im not rich (far from it) so i dont think ill meet the requirements. Second of all, my soon to be profession is School Counselor. I did hear that Canada need bilingual counselor, but only if they have appropriate and Canada approved education. Its very hard for mental health practitioner from other country (especially from third world country) to enter canada using work permit track and get job in the mental health field. Since Canada is one of the most strict country in term of mental health practitioner.

So thats why im planning to use education track, im thinking if i have canada approved education, i will have better opportunity to get a job there, also education is not as expensive as buying apartment there...

What do you think aana? is my reason make sense, or you have another opinion. i welcome every opinion, other are also welcome

NB:what is coop? haha sorry, first time hear that word....

Thanks again to everyone that reply my thread, you are helping me to achieve my dream...
i hope my thread can also help anyone who have the same way (education track) to get to canada...

:) :)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
GD4985 said:
Okay, i do know what is future opportunities and obligation. Good news is, i have all of that. Having canadian degree will definitely help me to find job in the future. Indonesians (especially education field) like people who have degree from first world country. In term of obligation, i do have an aging single mother who need to be looked out for, although i have two other sibling to do that, so i dont really have to worry about that. i also have inheritance from her.

so my question is: How do i prove that? Will a simple motivation letter or statement letter cover that? A letter made by me that says all of that (good job opportunities, old mother, etc) will do? OR i have to provide a formal document to prove that? if so, what kind of formal document? do i have to ask help from lawyer or things like that?

i hope you still willing to answer me back... Other are also welcome to answer...
A letter from you stating that you have good job opportunites after your studies and that you will need to return to take care of your ageing mother is the least you can do. You can also print out some job ads in your home country which jobs you could potentially get after your studies are finished.

GD4985

Mar 8, 2015
Leon said:
A letter from you stating that you have good job opportunites after your studies and that you will need to return to take care of your ageing mother is the least you can do. You can also print out some job ads in your home country which jobs you could potentially get after your studies are finished.
thank you very much leon... i have more knowledge now... hahah CANADA GO! GO!

polara69

Mar 9, 2013
GD4985 said:
NB:what is coop? haha sorry, first time hear that word....

Thanks again to everyone that reply my thread, you are helping me to achieve my dream...
i hope my thread can also help anyone who have the same way (education track) to get to canada...

:) :)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cooperative_education

Senobia

Aug 21, 2015
Hi Everyone,
I'm planning to take up post graduate diploma in business analysis or project management in information technology.I have few clarifications regarding these two courses.I'm an engineering graduate in computers having 77% with work experience of 2 years as Software test engineer.I want to know by taking any of these courses will I be benefited from that and which among those are best suited for my career growth? Also with the one year permit that I get after post grad is likely to land up in job? Also afer getting recruited can I extend my work permit through the employer?
Please suggest
Thanks

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Senobia said:
Hi Everyone,
I'm planning to take up post graduate diploma in business analysis or project management in information technology.I have few clarifications regarding these two courses.I'm an engineering graduate in computers having 77% with work experience of 2 years as Software test engineer.I want to know by taking any of these courses will I be benefited from that and which among those are best suited for my career growth? Also with the one year permit that I get after post grad is likely to land up in job? Also afer getting recruited can I extend my work permit through the employer?
Please suggest
Thanks
You'd be better off posting in the International student forum.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Senobia said:
Hi Everyone,
Please suggest
Thanks
It can be quite difficult to get PR after only a one year course in Canada since this only gives you a one year PGWP. Also, post graduate diplomas tend not to be valued very highly by employers. You should take at least a 2 year course so that you qualify for a three year PGWP. If possible, it would also be better to take a degree rather than a diploma. Lastly, assume it will be very difficult to find an employer who is wiling to extend your work permit. The process is very time consuming and expensive.