+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone please clarify when exactly does a student need to stop working after completing final semester and before applying for PGWP?

palaa10

Aug 7, 2020
Hey guys, so I'm looking for some insight right now as I'm really confused.

I am currently an international student who is in the process of completing my final semester which is ending end of August. I currently have a part-time job and I am aware that one has to stop once written confirmation of graduation/transcript is received until an application for PGWP is made.

However, the information that I am seeing on IRCC's website and the advise that I am getting from my school advisor are very confusing. IRCC's website states:

"Students who have not applied for a subsequent study or work permit or a program of study
Students may work off campus on a part-time basis if the following applies:

• they meet the eligibility criteria to work off campus [R186(v)]
  • they have completed the final academic requirements for their program of study but have not yet received written confirmation of program completion from their institution (for instance, a transcript, an official letter or an email)"
But then, on another section of their website, it says:

"I’m an international student. Can I continue to work after I’ve finished my study program?
Generally, no. You must stop working once you’ve received your final grades.

You can continue to work after you finished your studies only if:

• you’ve already applied for a work permit, or
  • you’re starting a new study program"
As per my school's advisor, I have to stop working once my final grades are received, which means by the end of August. The reason why I'm finding it confusing is because receiving my final grades in August will not indicate whether I am eligible to graduate or not. The school registrar has sent an email saying that a second audit has to be conducted after all grades have been received for the term and that this will happen some time in mid-September.

Once the registrar has done the audit and deemed my status as eligible to graduate, this will then be reflected on my transcript and only then can request for official transcripts/letters be requested.

So I'm really confused, when do I have to stop working? Is it in August once I receive my grades on the school portal or when the school has stated that I am eligible to graduate after their audits? From what I have read so far, is that the date on the official transcript/letter of graduation is the one that matters as that is what would technically count as a written confirmation.

Any advice would be much appreciated!

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
Although the final grades won't reflect or say whether I am confirmed to be eligible to graduate?
Did it say

You must stop working once you are confirmed to be eligible to graduate, or

You must stop working once you've receive your final grades?

palaa10

Aug 7, 2020
Did it say

You must stop working once you are confirmed to be eligible to graduate, or

You must stop working once you've receive your final grades?
As mentioned above, the grades that I will receive after my professor inputs them will not say whether I can graduate. It's up to the school registrar to conduct an audit after all grades have been published. Once they complete their audit 2-3 weeks after receiving final grades, they will send me a confirmation that I can graduate.

This is why I am confused, because the school advisor also said once final grades are received for the term, but IRCC says written confirmation such as transcript or official letter. My final grades at the end of the term will not say whether I am officially graduated.

jweekend

Champion Member
Dec 13, 2019
As mentioned above, the grades that I will receive after my professor inputs them will not say whether I can graduate. It's up to the school registrar to conduct an audit after all grades have been published. Once they complete their audit 2-3 weeks after receiving final grades, they will send me a confirmation that I can graduate.

This is why I am confused, because the school advisor also said once final grades are received for the term, but IRCC says written confirmation such as transcript or official letter. My final grades at the end of the term will not say whether I am officially graduated.
What answer do you want to hear?

Do you understand You must stop working once you've receive your final grades

You receive your final grades at the end of August, that's when you must stop working

NZ_ozzie

Sep 4, 2018
Category........
FSW
App. Filed.......
10-11-2018
Doc's Request.
11-12-2018
AOR Received.
10-11-2018
Med's Done....
11-12-2018
VISA ISSUED...
05-06-2019
Do you understand You must stop working once you've receive your final grades
For anyone reading this in future, receiving final grades is not same as receiving your final transcripts. So until you receive your final completion certificate/transcripts from your institution you can continue to work as it clearly states "they have completed the final academic requirements for their program of study but have not yet received written confirmation of program completion from their institution (for instance, a transcript, an official letter or an email)"

jellee

Sep 12, 2023
I am in the similar situation mentioned in the original question. I just received my final transcript where it does not mention any kind of "this student meets all the requirements for graduate". But, I am still waiting for my completion letter (graduation confirmation). So, I was confused whether I should stop working.

I had a talk on the phone with an officer of IRCC. He said they treat final transcripts as same as completion letter even though you cannot apply for PGWP without completion letter. So I must stop working.

prabhjot.325

Jun 8, 2021
Was that official transcript or Unofficial Transcript ? @jellee
I think we can still apply for PGWP and later we can raise a webform for completion letter. But I am confused can I apply for PGWP with unofficial transcript, or should I wait for official transcript ?
Actually my final score will be declared on 22nd Dec (with unofficial transcript), and I will receive my final official transcript and completion letter on January 8th.