+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone on a visitor visa work remotely for their company in their home country?

Kelowna2019

May 12, 2019
Hi there, trying this forum as going through the official channels just seems to bump you back to the FAQs, which aren't conclusive.

I'm a Canadian citizen hoping to do a sabbatical there for a year or so and have a job lined up. My (non citizen) family from New Zealand would be on visitor visas. My wife is hoping to continue working for her NZ company on a remote basis, and they would pay into our NZ bank account, paying NZ tax as they do currently. She wouldnt be working in Canada at all.

Is that legal? Are there any little tax quirks that this would trigger?

Thanks a lot!!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
So spouse not a Canadian PR? Does the NZ have offices in Canada or any clients in Canada? If they did it would be an issue. Depending on where you live in Canada your wife won’t be eligible to healthcare.

CanucksSL

Jun 7, 2019
I am wondering if you have found out anymore information on this. My boyfriend is danish and plans to come to canada as a visitor but want to remain working for his danish company who is strictly in Denmark

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I am wondering if you have found out anymore information on this. My boyfriend is danish and plans to come to canada as a visitor but want to remain working for his danish company who is strictly in Denmark
That's fine. He doesn't need a work permit to work remotely.