+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can someone enter Canada on visitor visa if they have a valid study visa as well?

PraveenKumar

Sep 23, 2013
Hello everyone!

My brother was enrolled into a college for July 2021 intake but has dropped out due to some health issues due to pandemic and his student visa is valid until December. He also has a valid visitor visa which he got a couple years ago.

1. Now that non-essential travel is being allowed into Canada, will there be any issues for him to travel to Canada on his visitor visa even though he has study visa as well?
2. If he is able to enter Canada on visitor visa and If he gets an admission for Jan or May intake, would he be able to get a student visa? I think we cannot apply from within Canada for a study permit, so.. would an online application suffice?

Please advise.

Thank you.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello everyone!

My brother was enrolled into a college for July 2021 intake but has dropped out due to some health issues due to pandemic and his student visa is valid until December. He also has a valid visitor visa which he got a couple years ago.

1. Now that non-essential travel is being allowed into Canada, will there be any issues for him to travel to Canada on his visitor visa even though he has study visa as well?
2. If he is able to enter Canada on visitor visa and If he gets an admission for Jan or May intake, would he be able to get a student visa? I think we cannot apply from within Canada for a study permit, so.. would an online application suffice?

Please advise.

Thank you.
1. He can travel to Canada as a visitor however if and how long he is allowed into Canada will be up to the CBSA officer. He will want to ensure he has a return ticket and can show he has sufficient funds to cover expenses during his visit. He may also want to carry additional evidence that shows ties to his home country just in case he's asked.
2. He can apply for a new study permit while in Canada as a visitor however the application has to be processed outside of Canada. Applications where the applicant is already in Canada generally have a lower chance of approval. My recommendation would be for him to apply while he is living outside of Canada. IRCC may have concerns about whether he is a genuine student given he dropped out of his studies so he'll want to submit a strong application and include an LOE to explain the drop out circumstances.