+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can some one get married after getting CoPR

KA_1988

Jul 29, 2018
So here is what I did:
I replied back to Delhi Immigration(from where I had received the PPR mail) attaching my marriage certificate and few marriage photos. I had clearly mentioned my UCI number, COPR issue date, expiry date, marriage date, etc etc. I CC-ed CPC-CTD-Ottawa@cic.gc.ca.
I received an email(except the auto-generated ones) after 2 follow-ups almost after a month of 1st intimation. They had asked me to submit majorly IMM8 form, Schedule A, Additional family details, Birth certificate of my spouse, Indian PCC for me and my spouse, PCCs of any other country if applicable, Passport scans, Document replacement fee(30 CAD) receipt, RPRF fees(1040 CAD) receipt for my husband, RPRF for me(dont know why because I had already paid. Not paying again, have just mentioned in a LOE).
Have not been yet asked about any proof of relationship or medicals or fund details(little skeptical here why).
Also, I had to go to VFS office to submit my passport and COPR for visa cancellation. Tip: Carry a printout of the mail thread of the PR email to which you must have intimated about your marriage, along with the reply from Delhi immigration, where they will be asking you to submit your passport to VFS office.
Trust me, this scenario is rarer than you think, so not every authority is quite familiar. Anyways, you can only start doing anything of the above, only once you get a reply from Immigration.
Whether your dependent is an accompanying one or not will be a pointer in one of the above forms.
My husband cannot be away from his family this year, so our plan is for him to accompany me, to land in Toronto, get our PRs activated, stay with me for 2 weeks and come back. Later I will receive both of our PRs, post him his to India, which he can later use to re-enter Canada in 2019.
I dont know the details of a non-accompanying spouse, but to reduce the complication(like there is not enough: getting married after COPR and all that), I would suggest anyone to accompany the primary applicant for first time landing.
Hope the information helps. I will keep everyone posted on what happens next in our story. :)
Any update debdey? @Debdey1987

MasterShifu

Jul 31, 2018
Need some help! I had applied for PR as a single and received my CoPR. I am still based out of my host country. I will be getting married in a few weeks in my host country and my fiance has a Canadian PR and is currently living in Canada. I have below queries:
1) When should I inform CIC, should I inform them now or after I procure the marriage certificate post registering my marriage (registration of marriage and getting the certificate might take some time)?
2) Approximately how much time will it take to get the new/ renewed CoPR with updated marital status?
3) Is there any other way around this?

Samour

Mar 1, 2018
Lebanon
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
12-09-2017
AOR Received.
12-09-2017
Med's Done....
28-09-2017
Passport Req..
07-05-2018
VISA ISSUED...
01-06-2018
Need some help! I had applied for PR as a single and received my CoPR. I am still based out of my host country. I will be getting married in a few weeks in my host country and my fiance has a Canadian PR and is currently living in Canada. I have below queries:
1) When should I inform CIC, should I inform them now or after I procure the marriage certificate post registering my marriage (registration of marriage and getting the certificate might take some time)?
2) Approximately how much time will it take to get the new/ renewed CoPR with updated marital status?
1) Now is a good time to inform them. I would suggest informing both Ottawa and your local Visa Office to see what their response is.
2) I was in the exact same situation. I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada. My fiance had applied for PR as single and received her COPR. Ottawa replied saying no need to return COPR or make any changes to application. But it depends on the immigration officer. Paris VO response was bring translated marriage certificate and show it to border agent. But both said no need for new COPR.

iamxty

Champion Member
Mar 13, 2017
Singapore
Category........
PNP
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
09-07-2017
Nomination.....
01-08-2017
AOR Received.
07-09-2017
File Transfer...
04-11-2017
Passport Req..
08-03-2018
1) Inform CIC or local VO, if known, after the marriage
2) Depends on the VO and your circumstances
3) No other way, you have to inform CIC of the change of status

divyanshu

Mar 21, 2018
Hello everyone, this is my current status - I have the COPR, haven't yet landed in Canada and I am getting married next month. I plan to update the CIC after my marriage so they can add my spouse to my application.
I have gone through a bunch of forums, and from what I understand, for my spouse IELTS and ECA not required as there won't be any recalculation of points if you get married post application submission. Is that right?
I am debating if it will be better for me to make the soft landing in Canada before my marriage or just update the CIC after my marriage so that my spouse can also get the PR?
Can someone please share their experience who went through this process already.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Hello everyone, this is my current status - I have the COPR, haven't yet landed in Canada and I am getting married next month. I plan to update the CIC after my marriage so they can add my spouse to my application.
I have gone through a bunch of forums, and from what I understand, for my spouse IELTS and ECA not required as there won't be any recalculation of points if you get married post application submission. Is that right?
I am debating if it will be better for me to make the soft landing in Canada before my marriage or just update the CIC after my marriage so that my spouse can also get the PR?
Can someone please share their experience who went through this process already.
It is easier to add your spouse to your current app. There is no recalculation of points.

If you marry after landing and your spouse is unable to get a TRV, you can expect to be separated for up to a year or more.

Reactions: vinayk

divyanshu

Mar 21, 2018
It is easier to add your spouse to your current app. There is no recalculation of points.

If you marry after landing and your spouse is unable to get a TRV, you can expect to be separated for up to a year or more.
Thanks Canuck. In that case, I will update them after my marriage and add my spouse to my application. My only concern is the validity of the current COPR which is May 14th 2019, Do you know if the process of adding my wife taking longer, will they extend that validity date or give me a new expiry date? Also from what I understand I will need the following documents while adding her to my application - Her birth certificate, marriage certificate, PCC, medical. Will I need anything else?

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Thanks Canuck. In that case, I will update them after my marriage and add my spouse to my application. My only concern is the validity of the current COPR which is May 14th 2019, Do you know if the process of adding my wife taking longer, will they extend that validity date or give me a new expiry date? Also from what I understand I will need the following documents while adding her to my application - Her birth certificate, marriage certificate, PCC, medical. Will I need anything else?
It could take longer. IRCC will either extend your medical or require you to do a new one. IRCC will tell you what to submit.

ruch777

Feb 12, 2019
1) Now is a good time to inform them. I would suggest informing both Ottawa and your local Visa Office to see what their response is.
2) I was in the exact same situation. I am a Canadian citizen living in Canada. My fiance had applied for PR as single and received her COPR. Ottawa replied saying no need to return COPR or make any changes to application. But it depends on the immigration officer. Paris VO response was bring translated marriage certificate and show it to border agent. But both said no need for new COPR.
I am in the same situation. I am a PR and my fiance finally got his CoPR(resides out of Canada). We are getting married in 2 weeks in his country of residence - I am already there.

I tried emailing visa office at Sydney, Nova Scotia, but mail gets undelivered. They no longer have the email address listed on the website as well. Unsure how I should proceed ahead, is uploading marriage certificate via webform the only way? I heard it's taking months to get a reply on webforms now :(

rpj07

Nov 6, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-12-2019
Hi,

I have received my CoPR and stamped passport two weeks ago. 10 days ago, I got married to my fiancé - who is a Canadian permanent resident.
She has flown down to my CoR for the wedding.
I raised a webform to inform IRCC about our marriage and included marriage certificate and a copy of her PR card. I haven't received any response from their end.
Do we need any response/acknowledgement from IRCC or can I land in Canada with her?
@canuck_in_uk would really appreciate your help.

daveishan

Oct 13, 2018
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
13-10-2018
Med's Done....
13-11-2018
Hi,

I have received my CoPR and stamped passport two weeks ago. 10 days ago, I got married to my fiancé - who is a Canadian permanent resident.
She has flown down to my CoR for the wedding.
I raised a webform to inform IRCC about our marriage and included marriage certificate and a copy of her PR card. I haven't received any response from their end.
Do we need any response/acknowledgement from IRCC or can I land in Canada with her?
@canuck_in_uk would really appreciate your help.
Do not do the landing process together even if your spouse is a PR - IRCC will need to make changes to your application and then issue a COPR. Since the spouse is a pr, he/she will be considered as non-accompanying. Wait for next steps from IRCC.

Reactions: rpj07

rpj07

Nov 6, 2020
India
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
04-12-2019
Do not do the landing process together even if your spouse is a PR - IRCC will need to make changes to your application and then issue a COPR. Since the spouse is a pr, he/she will be considered as non-accompanying. Wait for next steps from IRCC.
Thank you, we will wait for a response from IRCC then.