+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Can refugee person get married back in home country?

Theressa

Oct 16, 2018
Hi

I am wondering if you could provide me information that an Indian girl who was on refugee visa in Canada intially but now has got canadain PR. She is still not citizen of Canada. Can she get married with person from her home country (India)?

Would her partner will get Canadian PR after their marriage or not?

After the marriage registration, which type of visa her partner will be given to enter in Canada? How long it will took to grant visa for him?

Can she went back to her home country for marriage? Is there any restrictions?

Or can they do court marriage in any other country like Singapore etc. Because the person whom she want to get married is in India.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi

I am wondering if you could provide me information that an Indian girl who was on refugee visa in Canada intially but now has got canadain PR. She is still not citizen of Canada. Can she get married with person from her home country (India)?

Would her partner will get Canadian PR after their marriage or not?

After the marriage registration, which type of visa her partner will be given to enter in Canada? How long it will took to grant visa for him?

Can she went back to her home country for marriage? Is there any restrictions?

Or can they do court marriage in any other country like Singapore etc. Because the person whom she want to get married is in India.
No. She should not return to her home country until after she has Canadian citizenship. If she returns while she has PR status, her PR status may end up being revoked. She will either need to wait until she is a Canadian citizen or get married in another country.

She will need to sponsor her spouse for PR after they are married. This process typically takes about a year.

Reactions: Theressa

Theressa

Oct 16, 2018
Ok, thanks
Can that person come to Canada on tourist visa and get married while on tourist visa with her?

BobTheHelper

Oct 17, 2018
No. She should not return to her home country until after she has Canadian citizenship. If she returns while she has PR status, her PR status may end up being revoked. She will either need to wait until she is a Canadian citizen or get married in another country.

She will need to sponsor her spouse for PR after they are married. This process typically takes about a year.
Why would her PR get revoked? I know plenty of people who travel back to their host country after receiving PR.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Why would her PR get revoked? I know plenty of people who travel back to their host country after receiving PR.
They may run into problems at any time but especially when they apply for citizenship or renew their PR and someone analyzes where they have been travelling. By traveling to their home country or obtaining a passport from their home country they are indicating they no longer need the protection of the Canadian government (re-availment). You should tell your friends to stop travelling to their home countries immediately.

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/07/11/refugee-stripped-of-right-to-stay-in-canada-after-visits-to-parents-when-marriage-crumbled.html
http://ccrweb.ca/en/cessation-basic-information

BobTheHelper

Oct 17, 2018
They may run into problems at any time but especially when they apply for citizenship or renew their PR and someone analyzes where they have been travelling. By traveling to their home country or obtaining a passport from their home country they are indicating they no longer need the protection of the Canadian government (re-availment). You should tell your friends to stop travelling to their home countries immediately.

https://www.thestar.com/news/immigration/2016/07/11/refugee-stripped-of-right-to-stay-in-canada-after-visits-to-parents-when-marriage-crumbled.html
http://ccrweb.ca/en/cessation-basic-information
Literally all of my friends and family members have traveled back to their home country after becoming a PR under refugee conditions. None of them have gotten trouble when renewing their PR and almost all of them have received their citizenship.

I understand that this can happen but I do think the possibility of these things happening are slim.

Is it maybe because the condition of the refugee claim or the conditions of the host country? All of my friends and family members are from the same country.

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Literally all of my friends and family members have traveled back to their home country after becoming a PR under refugee conditions. None of them have gotten trouble when renewing their PR and almost all of them have received their citizenship.

I understand that this can happen but I do think the possibility of these things happening are slim.

Is it maybe because the condition of the refugee claim or the conditions of the host country? All of my friends and family members are from the same country.
That is a bad advice.

Your statement would be equal to something like:
All my friends were already driving drunk and they were never caught. So I think there is a slim chance to be caught. Maybe it just depends on the car you are driving or that it is not that visible on your driving style that you are drunk.
That does not make it legal and neither makes it an excuse for somebody even if they will have normal looking driving style.

The only reason that played there was just sheer luck and very lenient CIC agents.
So just because somebody was lucky does not mean that she will be.
According to law returning to your home country can be considered revilement (if you seek either this forum or internet, you will find plenty stories where people regretted doing it).
So with the current law in place all they need to do is to actually use it.

BobTheHelper

Oct 17, 2018
That is a bad advice.

Your statement would be equal to something like:
All my friends were already driving drunk and they were never caught. So I think there is a slim chance to be caught. Maybe it just depends on the car you are driving or that it is not that visible on your driving style that you are drunk.
That does not make it legal and neither makes it an excuse for somebody even if they will have normal looking driving style.

The only reason that played there was just sheer luck and very lenient CIC agents.
So just because somebody was lucky does not mean that she will be.
According to law returning to your home country can be considered revilement (if you seek either this forum or internet, you will find plenty stories where people regretted doing it).
So with the current law in place all they need to do is to actually use it.
I am simply making an observation. I also worded my reply as a question. I did not advise anyone.

Your analogy is also terrible. They do not relate.

There are thousands upon thousands of Chinese refugees that returned to China right after being issued a PR. Chinese embsassies event require them to sign a form saying they misrepresented their case in order to get their passport - usually religious cases. These are not isolated cases, literally every single person went through the same process when applying for a new passport or renewing their passports. I am not talking about a few isolated cases where people got lucky.

Evidently, I have never encountered anyone who got their PRs revoked by returning to their home country.

Last edited:

vensak

VIP Member
Jul 14, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Vienna
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I am simply making an observation. I also worded my reply as a question. I did not advise anyone.

Your analogy is also terrible. They do not relate.

There are thousands upon thousands of Chinese refugees that returned to China right after being issued a PR. Chinese embsassies event require them to sign a form saying they misrepresented their case in order to get their passport - usually religious cases. These are is not isolated cases, literally every single person went through the same process when applying for a new passport or renewing their passports. I am not talking about a few isolated cases where people got lucky.

Evidently, I have never encountered anyone who got their PRs revoked by returning to their home country.
Yes that is a good way how to mess up the system for everybody else. It seems that none of them actually needed refuge in a first place.

Theressa

Oct 16, 2018

Can she apply for spousal sponsorship ?would her refugee status cause any restrictionons for her spouse as well?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Can she apply for spousal sponsorship ?would her refugee status cause any restrictionons for her spouse as well?
Yes - she can apply. No restrictions.

Theressa

Oct 16, 2018
Yes - she can apply. No restrictions.
I just read on this website under section
"a person can not become sponsor" if

"We're sponsered and held permanent residence status less than 5 years; "

So I got confused that whether this condition implies to refugee PR or not.

I do not know exactly about refugee visa process just look at the website that refugee are either sponsored by government or through private sponsor .That's why I ask you to make clear whether she will be eligible to sponsor or not?